First BIG trip, father-in-law suggesting we use his 3500 Diesel over our F150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austintx01

Well, we head out on our first long trip in 2 weeks (Austin, TX to Estes Park, CO) to escape this miserable heat (been 104-105 consistently for last month, with humidity!). I have an F150 supercrew and we just bought a Keystone Hornet 27BHS travel trailer a month ago. We took it out for a 3 hours trip to Junction, Texas (headwaters of Llano River) and I didn't have any problem towing (with equalizer WD/sway hitch), but I could definitely "feel" it and it really burned through the gas.  My father-in-law is strongly suggesting we take his Chevy Diesel 3500 due to safety concerns.  I know this vehicle will tow better than my F150 without a doubt, but I'd rather not take someone else's vehicle unless it is absolutely necessary.  The Hornet trailer weights 6500 (dry weight) and the F150 is rated up to 10,000 pounds with WD hitch - so I would be below the 75-80% load range.  Also since the Equalizer WD hitch was assembled/mounted with my F150, I'm concerned the Chevy 3500 might not be loaded right without adjustment to the hitch.    Anyone have any input on this, whether it would be that much better to take the 3500?  Thanks!

You are right about the hitch adjustments.  You may need to change the height and angle of the head on the hitch.  But that's not a big job to do.  The manual does a good job at explaining how to adjust the head. 

I helped my friend twice to do it, first time he changed TV, so height and angle needed adjustment.  He changed TT and needed to change the angle once again.

Setup the height first, then try it.  You will need less links with the 3500, if the bars are too low, you need to tilt the head back closer to the truck, in order to use less links for the same tension.

Depending on your skills and patience, it may or may not be worth the effort.

If you are really sure your F150 is rated for 10k lbs (only a few F150 configurations go that high, though), then you are ok. The 3500 will do a much better job, though, and the fuel consumption will be much better.

I would surely consider the 3500, especially since you are going to Colorado...there's mountains in dem dar hills!  If you think the F-150 was struggling just going to Junction, wait until you hit the mountains of Colorado.  The F-150 is good, but you will not be winning any races with it for sure.  Maybe you ought to consider your FIL's offer for this trip anyway.

all very helpful, thx!  I guess I'll see how the 3500 lines up with the WD hitch and trailer. My F150 is a supercrew FX4 with tow pkg so it is rated for 10K, but as others said, it would really struggle in dem dar mountains so the 3500 would be much better if I can get the WD hitch to line up without adjustment (I don't have the skill or patience in 105 heat to do it...)... Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom