Benefits of An Enclosed Heated Underbelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

519sledr

We have our choices down to 2 new Jayco Jay Flight models.  One has an option for an enclosed and heated underbelly and the other doesn't.  Is this an important option???  The saleswoman told me it keeps things cleaner underneath as well as helping with heat retention in the trailer.  What is the purposes of enclosing the underbelly.  Thanks for the feedback

>>Is this an important option??? <<
While the enclosed underbelly does help keep the slide mechanism clean, the main reason I wanted one when I traded 5th wheels was because I had a very clear memory of laying on the snowy ground under the RV with a hairdryer on a cold morning in New Mexico.  Nothing I wanted to do again.  While we don't do winter camping, we do travel down to Mustang Island in early January and back home in early April.  Occasionally this means we hit temperatures that make me very happy that the underbelly is heated and that our plumbing functions in cool weather.
Herm

The primary reason is colder weather and keeping your tanks and water lines warm enough not to freeze.  Even though we don't always intend to be in "winter" weather, most of us sooner or later end up in it and it's usually unexpected.  Go with the heated underbelly if that's the primary difference between the two.

ArdraF

We just ordered our new Jay Flight with the heated underbelly.  We are told that it pretty much stays warmed up down there when you turn on and use the furnace.  We don't usually camp in the cold, but have found ourselves in night time temps that dipped into the low 30's or so.  We figured it would be nice feature to have.

The enclosed underbelly also helps keep the floor warmer for your feet when you get up in the morning.

I just finished painting the frame on my trailer. Inside the covered part everything looked fine. Outside around the frame there was a lot of corrosion. It looks like road slop etc. is the biggest cause. The wires, tanks, slide stuff, heat ducts are protected a lot better also. Plus they can hide all their slopy workmanship when they installed the wires, pipes etc.

A heated "Basement" means the floors are not as cold to the feet.

Also since the water tanks are usually in the "Basement" (Underbelly) haveing heat down there means you can camp when the temp's are in the 30's or even the 20's and still use your plumbing.

(And with aux heat you can go down into the teens.. MINUS SIX, however, will freeze you, don't ask how I know that :) The stupid weather man said "low tonight of 19"  he was close -19 would have been closer)

Of course on my rig only one or two basement compartments are heated (The wet ones)

Heated under belly but how much if any insulation??  We are able to survive minus temperatures to some extent as our MH has about 1 1/2" of foam insulation as part of the bay floors and extends from the rear wheels to the front ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom