What do you do when you get layed off from work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

...Take that Alaska trip you could never get the off for, right?
Having said that, I'm interested in anything this wonderful forum has to offer as far as points of interest, overhingt parking spots, Alaska must-see places, Canadian must see places, ect...

This will be as low a budget trip as we can manage, but we're doing it.

Travel will be from central NY to Alaska, but we're not sure whether we will go north around the lakes or southern route. It really depends on whatever points of interest pop up.

Anyone have a few cents worth of opinion to throw in?

Joe

When will you be taking this trip?  It's too late this year to head north to AK.  There are a number of Alaska travel logs in our library and also in our forum that a search will turn up.

Leaving in about 2 weeks. We were hoping to possibly catch a showing of the Aurora Borealis...maybe.

Why would it be "too late"? 

We were thinking the bugs wouldn't be as bad.

Joe

Are you prepared for some cold weather camping?  To see Alaska takes several months, and you have a long way to go to get there.  Also, campgrounds close down for the winter after the end of August, as do many other businesses.

We tested our winter abilities in 2003 with a trip to Vemont in February. It turned out to be a -20F cold snap with a 20-24mph wind.
We aslo tested out deep snow abilities in 2005 with an attempted trip to Williamsburg VA. We hit a storm that was dropping 2-4 inches of snow per hour when we reached Harrisburg. We turned toward the coast and back to the north to overnight in Reading, PA. Woke up to snow deep enough to use the front bumper as a plow. Driving was certainly tricky, but we went slow and proceeded back home. We don't particularly care to do a repeat performance, but the weather websites are looking somewhat favorable, and deep snow shouldn't be a concern except for maybe high in the mountains and we can either manage or wait depending on the local forecasts.
Tire chains on all 6 wheels makes for great traction, but it's hell in fridge and cupboards unless you know how to protect the dishes. Lesson learned there... ;)

We also know about putting the canned carbonated beverages in ziploc bags when climbing high mountains... another lesson learned.

I should probably collect all the "Camper Chronicles" files I've written and post them. We've traveled some odd places at odd times and there are many tricks we've picked up along the way.

Many of the fuel stations and all of the tourist facilities will be closed by Labor Day or before. Seasonal fuel stations may  run out of fuel well before that because they won't refill their tanks after early August.  We stopped at a place right on the Alcan Hwy that was closing up on August 24th. They had run out of regular gas and diesel and their restaurant was almost out of food.  Leaving NY in mid-August  will get you to Alaska in time to see everything closed down. And it WILL be snowing by then.

You can see the Aurora Borealis in AK at any time - July is good!

Joe, you are hearing from folks who have (been there, done that) and are giving good advice.  What you do with it is your business, but I also think it's much too late in the season to be starting out on such a trip.

Everything of interest along the Alcan, and more importantly, everything of necessity will be closed or closing as you get there.  Travel in Alaska will be risky at best and accommodations (CGs and Parks) likely closed. 

I'll let you figure out what might be available to facilitate your return trip. 

Maybe you could find a winter workcamp job in the south or west and then leave for Alaska in the spring? We have friends who left from Colorado for Alaska July 5 and they said they were leaving too late, and they've been there many times.

Wendy

RV Roamer said:
You can see the Aurora Borealis in AK at any time - July is good!

July must be real good - the Weather Channel just showed a recent pic of it.

Maybe Global Warming will kick in this year. Alaska will be green and beautiful.  ::)

I'd rather bet on the World ending tomorrow...  ;D

carson FL  93.6?

We saw them several times in July and early August, in the Yukon as well as AK. Usually around midnight or so. It doesn't have to be real dark. I'll grant the winter evenings are probably better or at least more frequent, though.

We've seen the Aurora Borealis in Southeastern Lower Mich. Several times over the years. Usually in Aug. One doesn't have to go to AK to see that.

Joe, you've probably been there, but maybe at repeat visit to Arcadia National Park in Maine might be an Idea. Or if you really want to go west Carl's Bad or Kartchner Caverns would be great.

The upper peninsula in Mich could be an idea also. The Soo Locks, Pitcure Rocks, and Tahquamenon Falls. And you'd get to see the Aurora Borealis.

do believe I remember something a week or so ago about Arizona closing some
of its parks due to the economic times and I think Karchner caverns was one of
them. They do have a website though so besure and check out the ones that
closed in arizona, they weren't closed forever, just for now.
I guess they are open again, but some of them are on a modified schedule.
heres the link
http://www.azstateparks.com/

In 2004, we traveled the USA and caught most of the big parks - Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequoia, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Sunset Crater, Carlsbad Caverns, ect..

Considering the work I've put into the camper this week, I think ready for AK. The kids did some research on their own, and have convinced me that a picture of the Catalina Sport next to the Arctic Circle sign would be a cool addidtion to the Chronicles.
My daughter wants to pan for gold in a stream, and there ia an open access section near the arctic circle on the "Haul Road". I'm sure it's been panned pretty well, but I think we might go for it.
Alternate destinations (final destination TBD when we turn the key) include the Maine coast up to the Canadian border, Texas, or Branson/Tennessee. Maybe we'll go up in the Gateway Arch?

So many choices...

Joe

1joester2 said:
..... I think ready for AK. The kids did some research on their own, and have convinced me that a picture of the Catalina Sport next to the Arctic Circle sign would be a cool addidtion to the Chronicles.
My daughter wants to pan for gold in a stream, and there ia an open access section near the arctic circle on the "Haul Road". I'm sure it's been panned pretty well, but I think we might go for it. .....

Take it from someone that lived in Fairbanks for many years. I wouldn't even think about taking a RV up the Haul Road. It's a very rough road with a lot of semi traffic and they don't slow down for anything. The last service of any kind is at the Yukon River. The Alcan is like a newly paved super highway compared to the Haul Road. I don't know if you have a toad or not but if you have a four wheel drive truck or other off road type vehicle you could drive up it that.

Joe I would listen to the advice given above. I have not yet made the alaska trip and don't know if I ever will because I don't want to run my MH into the ground but there are very good reasons why everyone goes south for the winter.  If you stay in State and County parks you can save a bundle.  Get a map of the states that would seem interesting that outline the counties by name and them look up the counties on the web.  Florida get crowded for a very good reason.  You don't need to pack as much gear and clothing.  You won't see the Aurora Borealis but you might see a shuttle launch.  If you head out west to AZ or New Mexico you can stay free at BLM sites.  I tried to do a trip up north in the fall to New England was constantly hindered by campgrounds and attractions that closed after Labor Day.  I can't imagine that being any better in Alaska.  Just My opinion however.

Denis

I had a long discussion with the family and mentioned all the advice given here.
I read every online journal I could from people who had made the alaska trip.
I used Gasbuddy to plan and pricetag the fuel.
I called a few places of interest and spoke with some very nice people about the timing, and availability of services and conditions of the roads, ect...

Snow doesn'r scare me. Cold doesn't scare me. Traveling some rough roads is a concern, but it doesn't scare me.
Running out of gas does. Especially in a valley with no cell service in a snowstorm.

We redirected the trip.
St. Loius-Branson-San Antonio-Mammoth Cave-???

Alaska will have to wait.

Thanks all for the advice. I imagine we won't regret listening.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom