What do you do when you get layed off from work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hot Springs Arkansas and Memphis and Nashville might fit into the new route.

Enjoy
Wendy

Good choice on waiting for now on the Alaska trip.  I've been told in the past that Alaska has (3) seasons: June, July and winter.  The first two have come and gone.  The last has started and lasts a long time. ;)

That was the jist I was getting.

@wendy:
Hot Springs is on the list, as is Tyler TX and Sarah MS (just south of Memphis). My kids are OK with visiting towns they "own" by name as long as we stop at the Schlitterbahn near San Antonio. Where my son came up with that one I'll never know, but a water park might be in order based on the weather forecasts I've seen.

@jc2:
That was my understanding too. Pre winter starts in August, then winter, Spring in May, Summer for June and July (somtimes). I also found that every online journal where people shared their Alaska trip experience suggested two spares mounted and ready to go.

Someday we'll do Alaska. Just not this time.

If you fine people will excuse me, my checklist only has loading food and supplies and checking tire pressures one more time. Check out time is 10:00am and I'm going to be ready if the weather here cooperates.

Joe

I'll try to post as time allows...

RE:"Schlitterbahn near San Antonio.

The travel channel frequently lists top 10's (Beaches, Amusement Parks, Waterparks, Etc). Schlitterbahn near San Antonio has consistently been rated the #1 waterpark in the USA. I Think The waterpark at Disney world has usually come in second. Schlitterbahn also has another park (so I seem to remember) on South Padre Island in Texas but (so I have heard) it doesn't compare to the one in San Antonio. By the way dont try to wear yer hat when you go into the "mission" at the Alamo in San Antonio  ::) but do take the river walk(?) boat ride. ;D

RE:"Schlitterbahn near San Antonio.

The travel channel frequently lists top 10's (Beaches, Amusement Parks, Waterparks, Etc). Schlitterbahn near San Antonio has consistently been rated the #1 waterpark in the USA. I Think The waterpark at Disney world has usually come in second. Schlitterbahn also has another park (so I seem to remember) on South Padre Island in Texas but (so I have heard) it doesn't compare to the one in San Antonio. By the way dont try to wear yer hat when you go into the "mission" at the Alamo in San Antonio  ::) but do take the river walk(?) boat ride. ;D

jc2 said:
  I've been told in the past that Alaska has (3) seasons: June, July and winter.

Always seemed to me that there were just two seasons:  Cold and Bugs.    :)  Still we enjoyed the time we lived in Fairbanks and the trip back for a visit in '92.  That was our family of five, tent camping, six week marathon.  Best trip ever (so far).  And we hit the AK border right on the 4th of July. 

When you go, don't miss Kennecott.  It's out of the way, but worth the effort.  You'll probably want to park the RV and make a day trip of it in the toad unless they've seriously upgraded the road since '92.  In fact, I think RVs were forbidden on that road back then.

Cheers.  ...  Steve

Quick update...
Things went well to and through St. Louis. Things even were great in Branson when we got there. Table Rock State Park is a nice place to stay if you only want the basics.
With no toad, we rely on teh camper to get around, and being only 24 foot, we have few issues.

When leaving Silver Dollar City enroute Table Rock, we were nearly sideswiped by a presumed drunk who felt no need to stop. I was able to swerve enough to lose only the side mirror. I found the offenders mirror in the road, and the police have their piece of the puzzle. I had a bubble mirror in my box of junk that goes everywhere with me, and I was able to affix a dollar store mirror and the bubble mirror in place to resume traveling. Has anyone else ever swerved their kitchen? It is not a recommended maneuver. Thank God nobody got hurt though.

Following that, everything has been OK to here in New Braunfels. Schlitterbahn is definitely a cool place to visit.

Tomorrow the ALAMO and the RiverWalk.

I'll order replacement parts for the mirror when I get home. I think I can glue the framework with some of the epoxy I have at home, and should only need the glass kit.

Never a dull moment when we travel....

Joe

Phew! Glad you escaped major damage or injury, Joe.  Sadly, I have heard of two other similar episodes where RVers lost mirrors to drivers who passed too aggressively. I also witnessed one semi take the mirror off another by cutting back in too quickly (he didn't stop either).

This guy wasn't passing... He was going the opposite direction.

Unfortunately, nobody got a license plate. The Missouri State Police Corporal I talked to at the scene said they have at least a good chance of finding him since they had the mirror and could identify the make and model from it. They know all the places to get parts within a a few hundred miles, and were posting a notice to all parts dealers.

Anyone have a spare Velvac P/N 709407 they are willing to part with?

Anyone have a spare Velvac P/N 709407 they are willing to part with?

We have a list of RV parts and salvage places, viewable by clicking the Resources button and scrolling down the list. I've seen the guy at Northwest RV Supply selling new/surplus Velvac mirrors at a rally for substantially less than OEM prices.

Don't neglect the other missions while you're in San Antonio. My feeling is that the Alamo is highly overrated but the others are more real and interesting.

Wendy

I was thinking exactly that about the other missions. Our trip to California in '04 included several missions in CA.

..never a dull moment.. just got done cleaning up a BLOWN dump hose. I spotted a few drops forming a few days ago, so I got a spare hose.

Drops turn into trickles turn into ... real quick!

Wendy said:
Don't neglect the other missions while you're in San Antonio. My feeling is that the Alamo is highly overrated but the others are more real and interesting.

Wendy

Wendy - Very true....In 2008 I spent 16 weeks for work in San Antonio.  My first visit to the Alamo was one I had been waiting for.  I was somewhat disappointed.  I was okay until I opened this huge beautiful door, and walked into a HUGE gift shop.

There are plenty of great things to see in San Antonio!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom