WalMart campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As has already been stated, when traveling late and leaving early, there is no reasonable sense to paying a 24 hour rate for full amenities at a CG. If CG's offered an adjusted rate for travelers arriving late, boodocking with no amenities, and leaving early, I would not hesitate to use CG"s.

We Nornally try to find a national or state park, but if we are between places we've chosen as destinations, I see no harm in staying at WM for a few overnight hours. I always ask, I always park where they ask me to, and I evaluate the section of town the WM is in. If my gut says "NO", then I keep moving.

My only bad experiences have been with lot sweepers, weather, and on one occasion several cars drag racing accross the lot at 3 AM (we were in a corner, so it was just the sounds we had to deal with).

To each his/her own. We all have our reasons.

My family's particular style of RV'ing does not include hitting the road at 9 AM, stopping at 5 PM, and use of shore amenities overnight. Perhaps if we were full timers, we would probably do just that. We also do not use CG's as destinations unless we are planning to spend time in that region or area. More often than not, we travel more than camp. In fact, I can only name one occasion where we camped in the same CG more than 2 days. It was an RV resort in VA, right after purchasing our RV.

I thought I would never stay overnight at a Wal-Mart, but that's where we are right now. The Wal-Mart here in Hinton,AB has a sign that says "RV'ers welcome to stay one night". And there's a large field for the doggies to run around right at the RV area, which is, of course, on the far end of the parking lot.

-Don- Boondocked at Wal*Mart,  Hinton, AB​

DonTom said:
I thought I would never stay overnight at a Wal-Mart, but that's where we are right now. The Wal-Mart here in Hinton,AB has a sign that says "RV'ers welcome to stay one night". And there's a large field for the doggies to run around right at the RV area, which is, of course, on the far end of the parking lot.

-Don- Boondocked at Wal*Mart,  Hinton, AB​

Perhaps Tom (not your Tom) should bookmark that Wal-Mart.  ;D  :D

[quote author=RLSharp]Perhaps Tom ... should bookmark that Wal-Mart.[/quote]

Richard, this Tom doesn't camp at WalMart. I prefer to stay at a campground, even if it's over the fence from WM and there's a hole in the fence. See attached picture; I call it my "WM next door" picture  ;D

Attachments

• WM_next_door.jpg
    WM_next_door.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 116
Tom said:
Richard, this Tom doesn't camp at WalMart. I prefer to stay at a campground, even if it's over the fence from WM and there's a hole in the fence. See attached picture; I call it my "WM next door" picture  ;D

We will stay anyplace that we can, boondock or not, that the doggies like. The doggies like this place and there's wireless internet too.  It's the only game in town. A RV park.

There's a large empty  rest stop about a mile from here that has signs posted all over it "no overnight parking". We wonder why. ;D  The doggies would have liked that place just as much. But at least here in this RV park, we have electricity, water and wireless internet.

BTW, if you wanna see some bad roads, try TC1 just past the AB-BC border. We have been on smoother dirt roads. And the trucks ignore the lower speed limits.

At least they are working on parts of it.

-Don- in Golden, BC, Canada​

Most Walmarts are not built in upscale neighborhoods.
Walmart parking lot security are above min. wage employees who are told to specifically not to get involved in a conflict , just as a cashier is not to chase a robber out the door. They just report a problem if they see it..
WM parking lot cameras are usually not monitored, they just record for use in prosecution.
A large number of WMs are built on land leased in a shopping center development, where the developer is responsible for parking lot maintenance and repair.
The parking areas are not built to the same specifications (weight holding) as the entrance, exit, and loading dock areas. Trucks must enter and unload in specific areas.
Very few WM lots have an area designated for RV or truck parking, ( striped with adequate access like Cracker Barrel and  Flying J ) which could be taken as invite to stay overnight.
No overnight parking signs can be posted buy the shopping center developer to save the lot (can't tell if jacks will damage the lot until after they are down and asphalt is dimpled or cracked or is the lot going to hold that 35000# DP before you drive on it) or can be required by zoning regulations, or be a requirement for site approval to please the neighbors. They also might be recommended by local police to alleviate a problem or not let one start. The municipality may have a tax or fee on hotel, motel, and/or campground nights occupied as a way to generate revenue. ( especially in resort areas )

Nowhere have I stated not to use WM lots for whatever you want to call it, but it's time to stop assuming a  WM lot is a safe haven to overnight and blaming the local CG owner because you can't overnight on someone else's  personal property.

Remember WM works on 2.5 / 3.5 % net profit margin so for that hundred you just spent they made $3

Kathy &  George

Epicman said:
Remember WM works on 2.5 / 3.5 % net profit margin so for that hundred you just spent they made $3

Kathy &  George

You correctly state this is "net" profit. Gross Profit is much higher (20-30%, I haven't looked at a Walmart statement to know). Gross profit is what covers the store operating costs and profit.

So that $ 100 is providing $20 (?) to cover expense and profit.

Anyway, I don't shop Walmart and therefore I don't feel it would be right for me to stay at one.

ken

I hesitated for several weeks to post this mostly fearing it might  be deemed irreleavant or challenging its authenticity. If Forum Staffers allow or consider it important I will disclose the location which will of course ID the Walmart.
  Several weeks ago a couple decided to spend the night at the local Walmart in S.CA..
  Picking their spot they parked and set up their coach. While in the process they observed an "older Class C" parking next to them presumably for the same reason.
  They eventually disconnected their toad and left their coach for several hours.
  Upon returning they noticed their "neighbor" was gone. The next morning they noticed their Gen. would not keep running nor would the M/H. They eventually discovered they were out of gas, or as they described "sucked dry after refilling 20 miles ago." and "that guy must of had extra gas cans 'cause his 'old class C' couldn't hold that much gas".
  IMO it should have ended there, they realize their lack of good judgement, buy a gas can from the Walmart Campground Store, drive the toad to the local gas station and learn from their mistakes.
Unfortunately NO!! A friend and Walmart employee on duty at the time watched as they complained to the store manager about "lax security that allowed them to be ripped off" and "What is Walmart going to do to compensate us for our loss?"
Personally, we treasure anyone that allows us to park on their property overnight.
Noting the posts that described Walmart locations as being not built in upscale locations this is the exception.
  I hope other members will weigh in on the convenience of Walmarts, Sams, Costcos, Home Depots etc. camping and the need for common sense.
  Thanks 

They eventually disconnected their toad and left their coach for several hours.

That Wal*Mart we stayed at overnight at Hinton, AB, Canada with the "RV'ers welcome one night"  sign (see a few messages back in this thread) only had one rule:

"No disconnecting  of toads allowed."

-Don- SF, CA​

I guess much depends upon the type of "RVing" a person does. For us, we seldom drive over 300 miles per day while traveling, preferring to enjoy the late afternoon/evening relaxing after a day's travel. Though we have used a Wal-Mart in the past for over-nighting, we were quite uncomfortable, felt like we were "squatting" on someone else's property, and just did not enjoy the experience.

So, for us, we enjoy shopping at Wal-Mart while traveling because the quality and price of food seems to be near the same regardless of location but for over-nighting, we prefer a campground. Just my $0.02.

RedT said:
I guess much depends upon the type of "RVing" a person does. For us, we seldom drive over 300 miles per day while traveling

And as someone else said, "to each his own", which is what makes RVing so much fun.  Since I still work (not retired yet), I have limited vacation time, and try to make the most of it.  Of course, we could stick to destinations within a few miles of home, but that's not our style either.  When I take a week off from work, we will usually hit the road Friday after work around 5:00PM, and try to get at least 5 or 6 hours down the road.  And our in-transit days many times go 10-12 hours or sometimes even longer.  (believe it or not, I really enjoy highway driving.)    It is rare that I can find an appropriate campground that is easy to get into that time of night. 

The last time we tried getting into a campground at midnight it was a real nightmare.  We were on I-40 just east of Memphis TN.  The campground directory had an ad for a place that was "easy off/on" from I-40.  Not So!  After leaving the interstate and going down a very narrow local road for 2 or 3 miles, we turned into a mobile home subdivision.  We finally found the RV Park part of the subdivision.  Of course the office was locked up tight, but there was a sign telling us to pick a spot.  We found the very last available site, next to the mobile home park, and not a pull through...but since it was at the end of the street we choose not to unhook (which we don't normally do on overnighters anyway).  We also didn't even hook up the utilities in interest of time.  Next morning at about 7:30, we pulled out, back past the office which was still closed.  Since honesty is the best policy, I went to the "Self Registration"  window, left my $40, and got back on the road.   

Since then, we have chosen to pull into a Walmart or other business that is known to allow overnight parking.  It gives us so much more flexibility in our travel schedule.  We always ask permission, we always make sure it is legal, and we don't put out awnings, jacks, or unhook the toad.  And IF we can park on the side of the lot we MAY put out the bedroom slide, but not always.

Anyway, thats my story along with my 2cents worth.

If you were headed west thru memphis, too bad you couldn't have made it over to Tom Sawyer rv park on the Mighty Missip!! I love how some rv park owners describe their location though, easy on and off, Big rigs welcome..

We called one on our way to Panama City, in Belixi Miss? well after driving down on the beach(front street), then into a residentaly neighborhood, we found it. was very nice,but NO room, had to unhook just to get into the place,(the had a two lane driveway for this) and as far as pull thru, big rig friendly. lets just say, I had my front, and back hanging out. ;)

I've been to some that have marked spaces usually near their fuel.

Usually we stop for the store anyways and stay for a while. I've had problems with CG late at night too one had a white board with open spaces listed and an envelope for the money. But the space that was listed wasn't open and the only one that was wasn't listed and was way off level. so i will either stop when they are open or stay in flying j or walmart parking lots.

I feel bad if I pull into a cg late at night, the lights, the noise of the airbags going down, the gen running. It just seems that everytime we come in late, there is absolutely no one up or no noise, except us.

kevin said:
I feel bad if I pull into a cg late at night, the lights, the noise of the airbags going down, the gen running. It just seems that everytime we come in late, there is absolutely no one up or no noise, except us.

Does not wal-mart allow overnighter's to increase their business? If so, viva capitalists!
The WM's that do not are increasing we see..and in cities we found that do not even have
a CG..we were very warmly welcomed at the Bishop,CA Wal-mart at 10PM when I am sure
we would have woken folks up at the CG down the road..so all-in-all it seems the WM policy
is very nice...and shame on those that try to stay 2-3 days and make the WM upset and
rethink their policy...

BTW- we felt very safe in the parking lot there...

Mastermtn said:
Does not wal-mart allow overnighter's to increase their business? If so, viva capitalists!
The WM's that do not are increasing we see..and in cities we found that do not even have
a CG..we were very warmly welcomed at the Bishop,CA Wal-mart at 10PM when I am sure
we would have woken folks up at the CG down the road..so all-in-all it seems the WM policy
is very nice...and shame on those that try to stay 2-3 days and make the WM upset and
rethink their policy...

BTW- we felt very safe in the parking lot there...

Ditto on the Bishop, CA walmart...very nice folks....welcomed us...but we went down the road past
the golf course for the FH park to...ahhh....recharge our batteries...

R

I have no reason to pay for a campground stay while travelling if I have a fully functional self contained RV which costs me a bunch of money specifically for that purpose.  If I was going to pay, I'd take my car and use hotels. Seems silly to me to pay just to park, wake up after a nap and hit the road again. I just don't need the amenities or facilities of a campground.  I appreciate a business that accommodates RV'rs, and reward them with my business, whether it's a restaurant for a meal, refueling, or a Walmart where I can restock food and other supplies.  Walmart isn't a campground, and doesn't pretend to be.  They let you stay and rest and hope you'll spend a little money while you're there.  It's a win-win situation. If you're staying for a few days, I don't know anyone that really wants to do that in any parking lot. If a lot is posted, I just don't stay there; there are plenty of others.  I don't care to question local ordinances or property owner rights. Life is too short.

I've never had a problem with stopping while travelling, but I have had problems with campgrounds and their rules, like being told to stop playing an acoustic guitar at a campground at 10 pm when it can't be heard 30 feet away while screaming kids are allowed to run around after midnight and dogs bark in campsites to the orchestra of generators all night.

Back
Top Bottom