WalMart campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, as I got to thinking about this more, and seeing all the interesting posts and thoughts on all this, it dawned on me that in all the WM parking lots around San Antonio, and even others where I've been primarily in Texas, rarely do I ever see more than one or two RV's in a WM parking lot.  Rarely.  Now granted, I don't make a habit of always looking, but really, those big rigs are kinda hard to miss!  Anyway, my point is, if the local CG's are really concerned about missing out on one or two folks just passing through, I think they have more problems than they're willing to admit to.  And I really agree with Smoky's assessment to have the local CG's get friendly with the WM's.  Heck, that's what this whole RVing thing is all about...being friendly and meeting new and different people.  As the old saying goes...why can't we just all be friends!?!? :D :D

Interesting perspective Smoky. You and John may well be right about the reason, although I'm surprised that WM would want to alienate local small businesses.

One thing I believe WM could do for RVers would be to carry a better selection of their so-called "RV supplies", including some better quality items. Lacking a Camping World, which are few and far between, I've frequently popped into WM looking for something and came away disappointed. Although the selection/inventory varies by store location, they typically carry just a few of the cheapest/low quality items. Heck, they even quit carrying ProtectAll a few years ago.

As a comparison, in the boating world that I know you're very familiar with, WM sells 3M polishing compound at half the West Marine price, although they'll only have a couple of bottles on the shelf. So I buy their shelf stock and take the receipt to West Marine where they have a larger stock of the same product and they match prices.

Interesting discussion.? I saw another topic concerning staying in an "RV Resort" vs. a woodsy campground.? Seems it received the same type of discussion.? In other words, RVing is truly different strokes for different folks.:D

Now, for my 2 cents worth.? I live in an area that is not a tourist area and there are very few (make that no) campgrounds in the area.? Wal-Mart has been trying to build a store in a very affluent and growing area near an interstate bypass loop for over a? year.. with the nearby homeowners fighting it tooth and nail.? The zoning adjustment board meetings have become pretty wild, and have resulted in law suites on both sides.? One of the key items the homeowners association is demanding from the zoning adjustment board if they do grant the permits, is no overnite parking.? According to the homeowners, overnite parking is a breeding ground for crime and drugs.?

So its not always just a campground owners issue.? 

Tom:

"Although I'm surprised that WM would want to alienate local small businesses. "

How does this happen?? CGs I can see being alienated.?

However, the other small businesses at the mall benefit just as WM does.? We not only shop WM, but hit Radio Shack, Best Buy, restaurants, Home Depot, and many others as needed.? None of them have ever shown alienation and we often chat with them about our MH and travels, with the MH in plain sight.? In Ohio, at Ace Hardware, the entire store turned out, both employees and customers, to take tours through our MH while we were buying hardware there the day we left to head west for Ron [edit].

As for carrying a better selection of RV supplies, remember WM is not a Boating World nor do they pretend to be.? They are not an RV store like Camping World.? How many kinds of RV toilet papers are there anyway?? WM simply supplies the emergency basics.? I think they do a better job than most small campgrounds (but not all) on RV supplies.? But I admit they do not carry the broad line of marine stores and RV stores.

As for crime?? Gee whiz.? I have yet to read about crime at the interstate WMs, but I guess it has happened.? With their WM patrol cars, cameras on the light poles, etc, they are exceedingly safe places to be.

This subject ALWAYS makes interesting discussion on more forums than just ours.?

All I can comment is on our own first hand observations.? My Admiral was very opposed to stopping at WMs when we started out.? Now she examines the WM Atlas each day on our long hauls and struggles over which WM would be the most convenient and interesting stop.? We are developing our own list of WMs, that had the best scenery, the most convenient surrounding stores, the easiest access, and the most interesting fellow travelers.

I think maybe one thing that has turned off some of the anti WM people is the DVD published by a Montana Public radio station entitled ?This is nowhere."?

My wife and I love that DVD and play it often.? Just last night we were relating to our RV visitors from McCall Idaho who are visiting here in Kalispell with us about this thread on the forum.? That led to putting on the DVD and we had a hoot watching it once again.

The thing about that show is that the TV producer did a really good job of capturing both the good and the bad about WM overnight stays.? And yes there were a couple etiquette infractions.? The worst was the redneck guy who hated cops and who got out his ATV and ran it all over the WM parking lot and even over the grassed in areas just to show off to the camera.? And there was another couple sitting in their lawn chairs with all kinds of junk set up.? But then also there were the motorhomes with no stuff out, and the people being interviewed either inside their coach or simply standing outside their coach.? The purpose of the DVD was not to preach etiquette or editorialize about it but just simply show an interesting subculture that most people do not even know about.

I fear that the most memorable (and sometimes funniest) parts of the DVD were the bad parts, and I worry that people who never really stay at WMs likely are overly influenced by the only image they have, coming from sources like this DVD.

At any rate, a simply fascinating sub culture of RV life!? ?:D? We see nothing to get overly serious about, and like I said before, everyone can make their own decision on these matters and keep on enjoying the good life of RVing.? I sincerely doubt if our enjoyment of a WM stop is every going to affect anyone here on the forum in any way at all.

Smoky

I think you misundertood several parts of my message, or maybe read more into them that I intended. I'll try to clarify:

Smoky said:
"Although I'm surprised that WM would want to alienate local small businesses. " How does this happen? CGs I can see being alienated.

Campgrounds were all that I was talking about when referring to local small businesses in the context of that message and the one it was replying to.

As for carrying a better selection of RV supplies, remember WM is not a Boating World nor do they pretend to be. They are not an RV store like Camping World. How many kinds of RV toilet papers are there anyway?.

But the RV supplies they carry are usually the junk ones, or close to them. An example is the sewer hose(s). No choice of better ones like Rhino. I'd shop for a lot more RV supplies at WM if they carried better products or had a broader selection. It's well over an hour drive from here to the nearest Camping World and I'd much prefer to pop over to the local WM store if they had what I need. Similar story if we're on the road. Just a week ago I needed some "RV stuff", the nearest CW was 2 hours away and there was a local WM that didn't have what I wanted or had an inferior product.

We don't use "RV toilet paper", for all the reasons discussed here in the past, so that's not what I'm talking about

As for crime? Gee whiz. I have yet to read about crime at the interstate WMs. ....All I can 's comment is on our own first hand observations.

I've not challenged or questioned your first hand experience and it's clearly given you a good basis for your pro-WM camping position. My issue is that I don't have local knowledge of a particular WM location we just happen to be passing, so I just don't know if it's a good place to stay or not. Someone can tell me they've not experienced a problem at WMs 'till they're blue in the face, but the fact is that there's only a very small chance they've stayed at a WM location I might visit next week. So their experience isn't relevant.

I think maybe one thing that has turned off some of the anti WM people is the DVD published by a Montana Public radio station entitled ?This is nowhere."

I'd never heard of it until reading your message, so it didn't turn me off. But it sounds like something worth watching.

As I've said, each to his own, but I won't make a recommendation about staying at any place without stating the pros and cons, which inevitably will include my own biases.

How many kinds of RV toilet papers are there anyway?

The worst RV Toilet paper is the packages marked RV Toilet paper.? We use Scott's single ply and second choice is Angel Soft. Both of which is available at your local Super Wal-Mart store in the grocery section. ;D ;D

Oh no, I see another TP discussion starting  ;D

Anyone wishing to read about the infamous RV Forum Toilet paper test, developed by George Mullen, and its results, here's the link:

http://www.rvforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=41

Tom said:
Oh no, I see another TP discussion starting  ;D

Great news, Tom.  I have been wondering what the best TP is for my motorhome.  I like the high strength, double ply stuff.

Phil

Tom:

Ok on the CGs being the alienated businesses.? Sorry I misinterpreted your comment.

I also agree about the WM RV supplies being lesser quality (though not really junk).? But when you need a roll of toilet paper, does anyone really care?? Better than dollar bills LOL!? But it is more than just RV stuff of course.? The presence of RV stuff is I believe simply a form of acknowledgment by WM of the loyalty of RVers.? We can stock up on all kinds of ?necessaries? besides RV stuff, of course.? I hope you don?t think I am recommending that everyone buy RV stuff from WM, as that was not the point of my comments.

I don't know the local situation either on the local WMs we stay at.? But given a choice between an unknown campground and an unknown WM, I will take the unkown WM hands down, at least on the interstates.? The only time I got ripped off was at a CG and a big well known one at that.? I do admit though that I once got banged up (the trailer) at a WM by a guy in a pickup hauling big red pipes who dragged a red line down my trailer and ran off before I could get his tag.? He was not an RVer though.

?But it sounds like something worth watching.?? Aye Tom I think you would enjoy it, though it would not improve your view of WM.? Likely worsen it.? I believe you would enjoy the humor though.? You can order it from any of those RV online bookstores and places that sell RV tapes and DVDs.? We got ours from the same place we ordered the QZ DVD which is also most enjoyable.

[added by edit]  Just occured to me, we have a big collection of RV DVDs.  We got Baha (sp?) WallMart, Quartzite, Glacier  Park, Desert Boondocking, nearly all the RV Today shows, and more.  If anyone is interested in viewing any of these we can either loan them at QZ, or have a "viewing" in QZ this coming rally.  We could seat as many as are interested if the weather is nice and we can turn on our outdoor TV/DVD.  Dunno if this would fit into the QZ social calendar, but if so, the offer is there.

Ron, I tried Scott single ply and it was too rough on our bottoms so we went back to the softer 2 ply Thetford.? I am still open to non RV paper so will give that Angel Soft a try next stop.? I find 2 ply Thetford very satisfactory but quite expensive.? I?d love to find something cheaper that will still feel kind to our olde butts.

Tom, I will check out those TP tests.? Hope they include some sort of rating on the comfort factor!

Smoky,

Keep using Thetford TP and you will find out why the experienced RVer doesn't.  IMHO Thetford TP is not really RV friendly nor is any other RV TP.  Bottom line Thetford products are NOT welcome in the Eagle.  After a several months of using what you are using you will probably find out why when you begin to loose BWT capacity.  Read up on the TP tests at the link Tom provided.

But when you need a roll of toilet paper, does anyone really care?

LOL well, since you put it that way, no  ;D

I hope you don?t think I am recommending that everyone buy RV stuff from WM, as that was not the point of my comments.

No I don't, but there have been a number of comments made about buying stuff at WM as a way of saying "thanks for the free campsite". Buying stuff at WM has also been given as a reason for overnighting there. I had made the comment that I didn't know what I'd keep buying at successive WM stores on consecutive nights, and RV supplies somehow cropped up in the conversation. I was merely lamenting the fact that I'd have more reason to go to WM if they had a better selection &/or quality of some merchandise.

I do admit though that I once got banged up (the trailer) at a WM by a guy in a pickup hauling big red pipes who dragged a red line down my trailer and ran off before I could get his tag.  He was not an RVer though.

There's another reason not to take our coach to a WM. Since he wasn't an RVer, it's unlikely he'd be dragging his big red pipes around a CG. When our coach got dinged soon after we bought it, it cost me $2,000. I can stay at a lot of CGs for that amount of money  ;D

You can order it from any of those RV online bookstores and places that sell RV tapes and DVDs.

Thanks. We have an online store on our web site, so I might just  order it there.

If anyone is interested in viewing any of these we can either loan them at QZ, or have a "viewing" in QZ this coming rally.

Great idea and that's very kind of you. We had 22 folks in our coach when Betty & Terry Brewer showed the DVD of their Mexico piggyback trip. They injected appropriate comments all the way through and there were lots of oohs and ahhs.

Hope they include some sort of rating on the comfort factor!

Well, the winner was Quilted Northern, quite a comfortable TP  ;D

Tom:

I will look into Quilted Northern.  If it is as comfortable as 2 ply Thetford and a lower price, certainly will switch.

Yes, parking lots can be dangerous to the coach?s health.  I find that a better negative than crime etc.    However, don?t forget the tree at Duncan?s campground in MD that ran across the path and hit my coach!  ;D

Ron:

I used Thetford for two years in the trailer and never had a problem.  What is BWT??

Smoky,

My motorhome came with a supply of Thetford from the previous owner so I used it til it ran out. I then bought some Angel Soft because of the recommendations here and the test results, and the fact that it is fairly inexpensive at the local supermarkets.
Since I have one of the clear elbows with the flush attachment I can see what comes out of my black water tank, not something I would recommend. But, since switching to Angel Soft I have never seen paper come out in clumps, it has always been liquified.

Woody

Woody:

Sounds like a winner to me.  Is it as soft on the butt as 2 ply Thetford?  The Admiral here beside me says she has used Angel Soft in the old non movable house and liked it.  Looks worth checking out.  Would not surprise me if WM carries it too! LOL!

Thanks for the definition Ron!

Note to Tom:  Re the TP portion of this thread..

Anyone tested the new "less is more" Charmin?

Tried it in the office where I used to work and guess what

They are not lying with that ad.. You really do use fewer sheets per wipe

The last time I rested Charmin it failed miserably.  That was a few years ago so they might have changed again.  Charmin did test good some time ago but they changed something.

When you do the TP test let us know the results.

Smoky said:
I will look into Quilted Northern. If it is as comfortable as 2 ply Thetford and a lower price, certainly will switch.

FWIW QN is a lot more comfortable than 2 ply Thetford (I've used both), but that's not why folks are suggesting you change. Ron was quite pointed, but you are free to do whatever you want with that advice. The issue with Thetford is apparently the glue that prevents the tissue from breaking down. Not having had a blockage yet is like saying you haven't yet seen a problem at a WM parking lot. When it happens it won't be pleasant to deal with and having saved a few pennies won't seem to have been worth it.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

[edit]Typo[/edit]

Back to overnighting in parking lots and local cops running you off.  If one wakes you up and tells you to leave, get him to put it in writing and sign it along with his badge number, or videotape him doing so, and turn him into the highway patrol.  The reason is he has just violated DOT laws written to protect the public from sleepy drivers.  The law was written with the over the road triuck driver in mind, but applies to all drivers.  It's illegal to drive when you are tired or sleepy, and this is a federal law that will superceed any stupid local ordinances. As long as your rig is not causing a traffic danger, blocking traffic, or a tresspassing complaint has been filed, you can pretty much stop anywhere you like...to sleep.  Most of them silly signs are unlawful for the cities to enforce, but they do it anyway because most Americans no longer demand their rights and liberties protected by the law.  If they force you to drive on, and you have a wreck, you will probally own that city, if you have proof.  Fred 

The subject title says it all...Walmart Campground???? there in lies the problem, Walmart is not a campground, an overnight spot possible unless posted "No Overnight", and don't blame this on area campgrounds, it is set in stone by county laws, as here in Fla., while Walmart Mgrs, may be willing and some go against the county laws and allow it, most do not..And why have these laws come about you may ask, well due to the many people who have actually set up camp, awnings out, lawn chairs, grills etc. etc. for weeks,and being a nuisance, you always have those people who will take advantage and spoil it for everyone else. that is why in most cases the local cops are called, they are doing their job enforcing the county laws.Just because many of us RVer's are law abiding, nice quiet folks....believe not all are, come on we've all seen it!

Back
Top Bottom