2000 dutchmen pop up issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dllygent

Just purchased my first tent trailer for the family this summer.  I have two issues that I would like to get some advice on:

1. I was closing up the camper today and when I fastened the back left latch, 2 of the 4 the screws pulled out of the side of the camper.  After a little online research, the only explanation I can come up with is dry rot?  Does that sound right?  If so, how do I check for that?  The exterior is FRP and I didn't notice any way to remove the interior laminated panel? 

2. Someone has re-caulked most of the trailer, but it needs to be redone.  How do I remove the old caulk, and what type do I replace it with?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Welcome dllygent to the rvforum.
If the dryrot isn't to bad you maybe able to force a product call New Wood into the holes and after harding drill starter hole and refasten. If that doesn't work use a stainless steel nuts and bolt.
Resealing your seams near this location may be in order as all other seam locations.  Lowe's or Home Depot have plastic tools for removing sealent like around your bathroom tub which you can use or a good thin blade plastic knife will work.
I have used Marine Sealent from Bert's Marine or any Marine shop in your area. Used on my motor home its easy to form in seamwith ample working time before it sets up.
On our PU there is a metal ridge molding that has a vinyl strip held in by screws on either end if you remove there will be screws holding in metal strip only mention this if you have damage to strip and have to rebuild area if dry-rot needs to be rebuilt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom