Need tips on hooking up a fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobandpamlemay

I just bought my first fifth wheel a few weeks ago and I need advice. I'm trying to develop a routine for hooking up the trailer and right now I back my truck up to a spot close but not right where it needs to be. I then direct my wife to back the truck  up so the truck lines up with the hitch and of course, I make sure the pin box is high enough to allow the hookup.
My problem is, the only way I'm able to line up the truck and the pin correctly is to get behind my truck between the truck and trailer. I'm not comfortable being captive between my truck and trailer although I trust my wife's driving. I also make sure she's not mad at me before we hook up.  ;D  I can drop my tailgate and I've thought about that as one option to give me more room.

What do you more experienced fifth wheel folks do????????????

Bob LeMay

Next time you go to hitch up, look through your inside rear view mirror and make two marks that correspond with the location of the hitch.  Put one on your rear view mirror, the other one on the rear window of your truck.

If you can't see your hitch through the rear window, next time the trailer is connected place a mark on the front of the trailer, directly ahead of the hitch, that you can see from inside the truck.  Make the same two reference points as above, but line them up with the mark on the trailer instead of the hitch.

Now you can stay inside the truck and back right under the hitch.  All you have to do is keep the marks aligned in your rear view mirror.

But don't stand between the truck and trailer!   That's an accident waiting to happen.

You can drop your tailgate but I guarantee, one of these days, it will not lock up or you will forget to put it up. Then when you make a turn it will kiss the trailer. Best to get one of those v shaped tailgates or just take the tailgate off when you are travelling with the fiver. Been doing that for a long time and never lost anything. Don't know what truck you have, but I would have to raise my trailer way too high to get it over the tailgate when up.

One thing I did was attach a tape ruler to the side of the king pin and when I disconnected, I took a measurement from the hitch to the ground and jotted it down...let's say 50 inches.  Before hook up, I take the tape and pull it to the ground to 50 inches.  I then raise the legs till the tape straightens, at 50 inches, thenthe hitch and king pin are at the same height as when I disconnected.  Saves some time getting in and out to check the height of the hitch to the pin. 

Good suggestions all.

At first I used an old CB antenna sitting just above the throat of the hitch.  I can see the pin in the rear view mirror.  Line up antenna & pin.

Then I got to where I could line up a dot on the rear window with the pin.

Next was a camera in the back of the truck looking at the hitch.  Way too easy.

As far as getting the height correct, buy one of these.  Then you unhitch, before you level the trailer, slide the bar to the bubble.  Then when it's time to go, raise the trailer so the bubble is back under the bar.  Works almost every time.  If you come in on fumes, unhook & fill up, you're be too high.

Joel

Great suggestions everyone. Thanks alot. The level makes sense and I saw that at Camping World and almost bought it. I will now. Aligning on my rear window is a bit tougher as I slide the window open to talk to my wife as she's backing up. I guess practice, practice, practice.

I'm going to start practicing in a few days and I will stay from behind my tailgate.

Bob

I made a note that the corner of the box is aligned with the jack, which I can see via the outside mirror, when hooked up and straight. When backing, I line them up and ta da. If I cannot back straight in I get out, check the alignment and make the necessary connections. My wife won't do it. :D Hooking up a post and ball hitch is more difficult without a spotter.

These all seem complicated to me. I just make sure the hitch is centered on the plate. The pin is located in the center of the plate so you'll hit it correct every time.

One other way is to align your hitch and king pin and then paint a white stripe on both.  Then when you hitch up you will be able to see the stripes in your rear view mirror.  Align the stripes and you should be centered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom