Toad for a Tiffin Allegro RED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aero RV

Hello all.  We pulled the trigger and ordered a Tiffin Allegro RED 38QBA (bunks) as our first coach. We will be part timers and the coach will fit our family of 5 very well. Now we need to choose a toad that will also be able to haul us all around comfortably. All three of our children are still in car seats ages (1, 5, and 7) so vehicles with only a bench back row seat are tight.

We really like the GMC Acadia crossover with that will seat 7 comfortably (3rd row seat). It is also certified for towing all 4 down. However, I was surprised to see that it weighs in at a hefty 5,000 lb. I know we have a diesel, but it is the lightweight ISB diesel with 340hp/660 torque (same as FREDs). We would be within capacity of the coach with this toad, but I'm just not sure about pushing the limits, how much it would affect the fuel economy, hill climbs, etc. If I had a higher capacity diesel, I wouldn't worry.

I guess I'm looking for opinions from the experienced since I have none. :) Or, if you have another toad suggestion, fire away!!! Thanks in advance.

Brian

Several forum members tow an Acadia or Enclave.. There is some trick to prevent battery drain, and you should be able to find the discussion using the Search button.

Brian, first of all congratulations on the Tiffin, no doubt you'll enjoy yours as much as we do our Phaeton! :)

As for the Acadia, if it fits your family needs I would say go for it.  We started towing a Dodge Dakota which with the bikes, tool boxes and various articles in the back came in at 4500#. 

We have switched to a Saturn Vue which surprised me as coming in just under 4000# BUT, unless you look at the monitor you won't realize there's anything there, except in the mountain's then everyone wants more power. I've been across the Rocky's twice and never had any problems and usually can pass the transports ( but they weight double ours ;D)

With a toad of that weight you will need a supplementary brake system, the coach is engineered to stop its self but not an extra 5000#.  There are several good systems and an article in the Forum library which will help with your selection.

With the truck I had an M & G Engineered brake system but it wasn't transferable to the Saturn so I installed an Air Force one which also works off the service air brakes on the coach.

I realize I have a few more HP and torque (ISC) than yours but under normal conditions I think you'll do fine.

Enjoy the trip.

Dale.

Nice rig,

I have an ISB 5.9 275hp.  I started out towing a car carrier with a F150 on it, total package close to 7000lbs.  Next flat towed a Ford Explorer 4x4, weighted in at 4500libs.  Currently towing a Chevy Express 1500 VAN AWD, loaded it is around 6000lbs (use a remco pump).  the Van would give you lots of room for your children, pets and stuff for your day trips.  I was able to locate a Roadmaster baseplate with blue ox adapters (if is the same one for the 2500 series).  Blue ox said they would not even make a base plate for me if I drove out there.

I have ranged from 7.2 to 11.5 mpg depending on how heavy my foot was at the time over the past 9 years.  I currently try to stay near 60 mph (if permitted) now and we run 8-9 mpg.

With either of the configurations above we slowed down on the hills.  If you can except slowing down going up hill and enjoying the scenery you should not have fuel problems. Manually downshift your transmission on those hills and it will help.  Last month coming out of El Paso headed West I saw my water gauge move up some, however I did pass a few trucks.

Enjoy the selection process, all part of the journey.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

We tow an Acadia, in fact, the very first Acadia ever towed by anyone (I have the prototype Blue Ox tow base plate on mine, still in use).  If your receiver hitch on the RED is rated above 6000 lbs, you should be ok. You will notice the extra weight a bit on the hills, but who's in a hurry anyway?

Just found out Tiffin's spec sheet on the Allegro RED is incorrect.  GVWR is 29,500  and not 28,000 as per Freightliner and another source.  GCWR is 33,000 so that only leaves 3,500 with the rest to be taken from CCC to get 5,000.  That would be cutting it very close according to the coaches specs.  I think we may just go with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4-door).

Thanks everyone for your input.  I've gained a lot of knowledge on this forum over the past few months before making my choice.

Brian

You can tow the difference between the coach's actual weight and the GCWR, so a larger GVWR does not automatically reduce the max toad weight. What you want to look at is the unladen (dry) weight on the RVIA sticker in the coach and add in an estimate for water, propane, etc. The RVIA sticker will have all that data too. Then figure some extra for your food and gear and see where your stand vs the GCWR. Also check  the receiver hitch to make sure it is rated for at least 5000 lbs.  

Freightliner says the Allison 2500 transmission is the limiting factor in the GCWR and GVWR - everything else in the XCR chassis is supposed to be rated much higher.

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/pdf/Tiffin/XCR0203-2009.pdf

Thanks Gary.  I was able to get the dry weight from a similar Allegro RED coach.  It is roughly 24,300 lb fueled which leaves about 4,200lb for "stuff".  The hitch is rated for 5,000lb so we would be at max with an Acadia.  We would need 1,500 from the 4,200 for the additional weight of the toad (~5,000lb) which leaves 2,700lb for water, propane, gear, etc.  Say 40 gallons of water at 320lb, 102lb for 24 gallon of propane, and then gear???  I have no idea...is ~2,200lb enough for gear?  ???

Brian

2200 lbs is enough for gear in most cases, especially if you are not fulltiming.

You might want to check out the new 2010 GMC Terrain - it looks like a slightly smaller Acadia and has similar layout. With the V6 it weighs in around 4000 lbs vs the Acadia's 5700.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom