Automatic vs. Manual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are planning on purchasing a 1999 Jeep Wrangler (Sahara). Just wondering if anyone has any input on which is better to tow behind the RV and automatic transmission or manual transmission???

If the Wrangler has an option to put the transfer case in neutral, automatic transmission will work as well as manual for a towed vehicle.

Thanks for the tip. I have been all over the internet and talking to different people and it seems I'm just gonna have to look at the manual for these vehicles. I've heard some pretty scary stories. Makes me think it may be easier to just rent a vehicle  :-\

John,

As Tom said, if you can put the transfer case in neutral it should be OK. I agree you should read the manual as well.

The scary stories quite often happen when a mistake is made during hookup. One thing ALL RVers should remember is never talk to anyone that is in the process of hooking or unhooking a toad! That's when something is forgotten or overlooked and accidents happen. I, myself, have forgotten to put the transmission in park a couple of times. I do have a 4X4 so it didn't create any problems as the transfer case was in neutral. I still don't like making those mistakes but it's when your mind is not 100% on the job.

Don't let these incidents prevent you from enjoying having your own vehicle with you. It's much nicer to be able to head out on a side trip no matter where you might be. You will not always be able to rent a car conveniently.

Jim Dick said:
One thing ALL RVers should remember is never talk to anyone that is in the process of hooking or unhooking a toad!

Isn't that a fact Jim! We towed the Burb 50 miles with the parking brake on because I somehow got distracted during the hookup process.

John & Mary Jo said:
We are planning on purchasing a 1999 Jeep Wrangler (Sahara). Just wondering if anyone has any input on which is better to tow behind the RV and automatic transmission or manual transmission???

Either manual or automatic transmission is ok to tow in a Jeep as long as it has a transfer case.  You will probably find towing instructions in the owners manual.  Basically the transfer case is placed in neutral and if Automatic tranmission it is placed in park, if manual transmission is thould be placed in 4th gear as I recall.  Check the owners manual.

You will need to plance the key in the off unlocked position.  There is a way to disable the sterering wheel lock feature by removing a spring.

Always remember Jims Caution NEVER TALK TO ANYONE THAT IS HOOKING OR UNHOOKING A TOAD
I would also add don't worry about being polite if somebody starts talking to you while you are hooking or unhooking just ask them po;itly to wait till you are finished.

The moral to this saga is to avoid "SENIOR" moments at all costs...... :)

Isn't that a fact Jim! We towed the Burb 50 miles with the parking brake on because I somehow got distracted during the hookup process.

50 miles! I made it six blocks before the white smoke had everyone flagging me down! ;D ;D ;D

After that I created a mental count list of the 10 items I have to do to hook up. After I am done I count them off to see what I forgot this time (and I will forget!).

LOL Jeff, either ours didn't smoke or nobody paid any attention. As you can imagine, the parking brake linings were totally shot. Fortunately, on the Burb the rear service brakes and the parking brakes are completely separate. The same wheels have disc brakes for regular stopping and drum brakes for parking. I had the linings replaced at the next Chevy dealer and, since the Burb was new, they replaced them free under the warranty although I told them how it happened.

I now check everything twice before we move off  ;D

Just wondering if anyone has any input on which is better to tow behind the RV and automatic transmission or manual transmission???

Makes no difference at all, assuming the vehicle is properly equipped for towing.  We use a 4WD  automatic, as do most people we know, but manuals work fine too. 

One common mistake is to assume that ALL manual transmissions are towable and that is not the case. Always follow the manufacturer's recommendation OR have the vehicle's drivetrain modified by a knowledgeable converter.

Gary,

Just to add to your statement about not all manuals are towable, not ALL 4X4's are towable either. If I remember correctly the Kia Sportage is not towable along with some others that have an electronic transfer case.

Jim Dick said:
the Kia Sportage is not towable along with some others that have an electronic transfer case.

Jim, just to add to your addition, our Burb has an electronic transfer case and is towable. I wonder what the issue with the Kia electronic transfer case.

Tom,

I guess I should have said not all electronic transfer cases are towable. :) Actually, if I remember correctly, the Kia has a real transfer case but still is not towable. The bottom line is read the manual and, if still confused, call REMCO.

Jim Dick said:
I guess I should have said not all electronic transfer cases are towable.

Jim, I read it the way you intended, but I just wanted to make sure someone didn't misinterpret it.

The bottom line is read the manual and, if still confused, call REMCO.

That's great advice. I'll have to remember that line.

Tom,

Thought some might not understand clearly. That's why I decided to clarify a little. :) Sometimes the brain and fingers aren't in sync.

Tom said:
LOL Jeff, either ours didn't smoke or nobody paid any attention. As you can imagine, the parking brake linings were totally shot. Fortunately, on the Burb the rear service brakes and the parking brakes are completely separate. The same wheels have disc brakes for regular stopping and drum brakes for parking. I had the linings replaced at the next Chevy dealer and, since the Burb was new, they replaced them free under the warranty although I told them how it happened.

I now check everything twice before we move off? ;D

I would think that you all would work up a formal check list with check boxes for a chore as complex and critical as that.  Something like a pilot would use, make copies, and physically check off the boxes on each hook up.

Say I who once tried to drive away with my trailer jack down.  :-[

Carl Lundquist said:
I would think that you all would work up a formal check list

We now have check lists Carl, but I still check things twice. I guess you knew about the trailer jack a lot sooner than 50 miles  ;D

Jim

The Nissan Xterra automatic 4X4 can't be towed without modifying the drive shaft.

Terry
At Sutherlin, OR

Back
Top Bottom