Antenna leaks around shaft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell

My roof top antenna has a leak around the shaft in a hard rainstorm. I was thinking about removing it with the digital changeover & I don't have a converter box. When it was installed they goobered so much sealer on it I don't think I could remove it without damaging the rubber roof. I've had 2 trailers that have done this. One was right over the sink so it didn't bother me. This one splashes on the counter.
Is this a common problem?
Has anyone removed & fixed that leak?

Another thought is to mount a wireless receiver on it. Any thoughts on that?

Flood the shaft from the roof with silicone spray.  Spray it in.  This sometimes makes the seal expand and no more leak.  I learned this from Winegard service and it worked for me.

JerryF

Having installed this type, the capping is not likely the cause of intrusion.  Most likely it is the base to roof seal.  Check that as well as the screws. 

Or remove the screw shaft and replace the offending o-rings for a permanent fix.   It's not that hard to do - just remove the top cap (looks like a large nut), remove the inside handle and turn the shaft.   With the cap off it should come right out of the top instead of raising the antenna.

Dick,

Check where the coax goes through the roof. Many times it will leak there. Mine did last winter. I filled it with sealant and haven't had a problem since. If it's coming in around the antenna control on the ceiling then it could be the sealant on the base.

If you need to remove the sealant from the roof use a plastic putty knive. They are available at Loew's and probably Home Depot. Check for any cracking and loose seal at the rubber roof.

I took it apart today and found that on the worm gear shaft a quad seal o'ring and 2 washers were never installed. I called Winegard thinking I didn't understand the drawing on where they were. They said the stuff should have come out with the shaft and they would send me the parts to repair it.
Pretty nice people.

I got the washers & o'ring from Winegard. I took the antenna clear off and none of that stuff was in the bottom, so who ever put it together never installed any of it. I also found what looked like a bubble in the sealer that had broken or cracked and could have been leaking. Used Dicor stuff to seal it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom