Planning for the future.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

USMC4EVER

Hello all. I am still a young buck and have a way to go before I am ready to retire. I would like to go fulltime once I do retire and I have some questions. Maybe someone who has been there can provide some tips on planning? One main concern I have is after you sell your house, purchase your rig and head out. What happens if at some point you decide to settle down again and buy a house? I assume you would not get the same return on an RV as you would a house and at post retirement it seems kind of risky buying a house. Just the wheel in my head turning.

Thanks,

Hi USMC,

You are correct. You will not get the same return as a house. In fact, as soon as you drive off the lot you will lose about 20%! RV values are no different than any other motor vehicle. Your best bet is to save the money from the house and buy a rig which you can afford without spending all your money. Then when you decide to get off the road you will have a cushion with which to purchase another home.

The RV lifestyle is certainly a wonderful way to live if one enjoys traveling, meeting great people, and seeing some of this wonderful country. We have been full timing for 13 years, two of which were spent in the driveway of our home during the summer. We enjoyed our coach so much we didn't move back into the house after our first trip west. It provided us the time to be sure this was something we could do. Heck, we still talk to each other!!!

Be sure to look over our library which is full of good information and ask any questions for which you need answers.

No one can predict the economy, expecially since you don't even give us a time frame. Generally speaking RVs do depreciate faster that stick and mud but nothing is certain. The huge majority of RVers don't look upon an RV as an investment, even when they are going to live there full time. An RV is basically a luxury.

Most bases have a RV campground.

Consider purchasing a unit you like TT, 5ver, Class C or ClassA. Maybe a lease is possible or rental.  Used may work just as well.  Someone may get transferred and either want to sell or rent.

Set up in the campground and try out fulltiming.  Your BH should cover the payment and the camping fees.  29 Palms charges 7.50/day and Camp Pendleton on the beach was 31 last year.  The cost includes water, elevtric and sewage. Across the from the gate at New River and South a bit is a nice private campground with many full time active Marines.  Check out your local campgrounds and ask questions.  Check with the campground host and find out if you can stay there long term.  If/when you get deployed you can rent it out, sell, or store on base.  Buy the time you retire it will be paid for and you'll be able to travel without the concern of a payment.

Semper Fi
Russ, CPL 1963-69

Depreciation on RVs is horrible.  For planning purposes, consider the money spent on the RV to be thrown away. Then anything you get back at the end is a bonus.

When we retired, we bought a modest manufacturered home in an inexpensive area that had room to keep our RV on the lot with the house. We actually travel only about 7 months a year plus some short trips here and there and live in the house during the winter (it's in Florida). That  has worked well for us and we have our "end of the road" home already in hand.

Thank you all for sharing your ideas. I appreciate it.

Semper Fi Cpl. Russ and thank you for your service!

USMC4EVER said:
Hello all. I am still a young buck and have a way to go before I am ready to retire. I would like to go fulltime once I do retire and I have some questions. Maybe someone who has been there can provide some tips on planning? One main concern I have is after you sell your house, purchase your rig and head out. What happens if at some point you decide to settle down again and buy a house? I assume you would not get the same return on an RV as you would a house and at post retirement it seems kind of risky buying a house. Just the wheel in my head turning.

Thanks,
Get your house on a 10-15 year amortization to build equity faster, then save all your proceeds from the house sale.  If you ever decide you need a house again, use the proceeds sale money.  Most retirees wont want as big or as expensive a house as before, so likely if you have good equity it wont be a problem.  After living in 400 ft, we certainly dont think we would ever, ever need 3000 sqft ever again!

Hi USMC,

The thing to keep in mind is you are buying into a lifestyle and cannot justify the cost of an RV rationally. As mentioned before, the RV will lose value from day one but the adventures and education you will receive will be boundless and help alleviate that loss. There is no better way to see this great country of ours!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom