propane for the grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

Due to numerous food allergies (me wheat, yeast, soy, whey - girlfriend/kids gluten, lactose) we eat in 99% of the time at home & in the RV.  We ended up going through one of those small coleman canisters every 3- days on out trip out west which got a little expensive.  Is it OK to use the larger canisters that we use in the home grill or is that a big no-no?  I thought it seems kinda dangerous throwing that in a lower compartment for a road trip then again it's just bigger then the coleman containers we buy.

thanks

Someone makes an adapter to connect to your RV propane system and a long hose to eliminate the small cylinders

Why not add the extend-A-Stay to the MH propane tank and use the included hose to attach to your portable grill?

We have a dealie-bob thing-a-ma-jig that hooks into the motorhome propane line. Mike sets the bbq next to door where the propane tank is and hooks into the line. We've got propane for bbq'ing as long as we have propane for the motorhome - no need to carry an extra tank. However, if you want to carry an extra tank, I don't see where it would be any different than the tank that's already in the MH.

Wendy

2KViggen said:
Due to numerous food allergies (me wheat, yeast, soy, whey - girlfriend/kids gluten, lactose) we eat in 99% of the time at home & in the RV.  We ended up going through one of those small coleman canisters every 3- days on out trip out west which got a little expensive.  Is it OK to use the larger canisters that we use in the home grill or is that a big no-no?  I thought it seems kinda dangerous throwing that in a lower compartment for a road trip then again it's just bigger then the coleman containers we buy.

Like Lou said use an propane tank "Extend-a-Stay".  Camping World sells a brand, see here:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/stay-flow/30341

I have an Extend A  Stay but prefer to carry a small propane tank for the grill. That way I am not constrained by the length of the hose back to the coach and besides, my propane tank is on the street side of the coach.  I actually have both a 5 lb and a 10 lb portable propane tank. The 5# is real easy to carry and is equivalent to 5 of the small disposable bottles.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Tank-Equip-10054-3-Propane/dp/B000243QA0

You can sometimes find these 5# tanks at Lowes and they always have the 10# size.

Sure, You can hook your grill up to the built in motorhome propane tank BUT there are several things to consider. The following applies to any "Low Pressure" grill.

#1 Be sure that you don't run high pressure propane through a long hose to the grill. This could prove to be disastrous if you shut off the grill and then disconnect the hose without burning off all that excess propane first. All the high pressure propane in the hose will be immediately and rapidly exhausted into the air. A spark or nearby flame (like from the refrigerator, etc) could cause a flash type explosion.

#2 Use only one regulator in any propane line. If you install a quick connect after the existing regulator do not use an additional regulator at the grill. If you install the quick connect before the existing regulator be sure to connect the grill regulator at the quick connect end of the hose, NOT at the grill end. That way the hose will contain only low pressure propane and it will burn off very fast if you shut the line off at the quick connect first. Either hookup requires a quick coupler with a shutoff built in. These are available at camping supply stores or possibly at your local propane dealer's store.

You may want to opt for a small 5 to 10 lb propane tank carried in a ventilated compartment and secured so it doesn't get thrown around. Either of these will last much longer than the disposable tanks.

I should have mentioned that all my propane tanks and bottles are carried in the compartment dedicated to the motorhome's own propane tank. It is already vented.

Most any RV dealer, or a "Camping World" type store, also most stores that sell BBQ grills, will have assorted hoses and adapters.

If you want to use a multi-pound refillable tank (20 is the most common size) then you just get a hose-adapter

If you wish, you can adapt your motor home to supply propane to the tank

Marshall Brass  535-00 is for trailers with removable bottles,  537-00 is for motor homes with fixed botles

There is one more that may be used too (it is a right angle adapter as well as a grill adapter)

I suggest picking up an extra 10' of hose.

But if you want to use the luggable bottles.. I do not think that adapter is on that page,  but any RV or BBQ store will have them.

Work great by the way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom