Glass backspash beside range on Winnebagos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wagonmaster2

I've got to remove my microwave on a 2004 Meridian but looks like it will be such a close fit past the right hand wall mirrors that one of them could get scratched or broken.  Has anyone been able to get their microwave past the mirrors without breaking any of them?  Could tape some thin sheets of cardboard over them to protect from scratches but a little pressure in the wrong place could still break one.  Almost looks like Winnebago installed the  microwave  then the mirrors were glued to the wall. 

Is this really a possible removal without bad results?

Thanks

Allen

Tongue in cheek only.. Hire Lou (on a quest) for a day. Have him look at the mirrors for a few minutes and they will just fall off the wall..problem solved.

Hire me and it will take 2 hours.  ;D ;)

The cost of new mirrors will be worth the effort. Make a YouTube film. You'll be money ahead if you can sell it.

carson FL

The mirrors look like they are glued to the wall.  Getting the broken pieces off with destroying the wall would be the biggest problem that I can see.  Finding replacements probably wouldn't be a problem since either Winnebago or the local glass shop would be a good source.

Allen

Allen,

We have mirrors under our microwave just like you described yours to be; on the back wall and on the side wall.  We had no trouble at all.  The screws on the microwave are inside the air vents covers under the microwave.  As the technician removes the screws the microwave will begin to lean forward.  He will be able to just lift the microwave off of the resting plates and not damage your mirrors.

My husband and son had to remove and install twice because they forgot a piece.... ;)

Marsha~

Hey Marsha-
Good to hear from you, how's Canada?  Didn't remember Newfoundland being that far north until I looked at my Atlas, that must have been quite a trip.  Guess you had to go across on a ferry someplace.

Looking at the right side of the microwave as it would come down by the mirrors on that side it just seemed like there wouldn't be room for the oven to clear them.  Even while stiill mounted in place the distance between the oven and the wall doesn't look as much as the mirrors are thick.  Glad to hear there's room.

Having to do it twice, is there any good secret getting that long bolt lined up that is in the right hand vent?  The left one you can see clear to the threads but that right one is completely hidden all the way from the head of the bolt to the threads.  That one really bothers me, trying to get a bolt threaded into the threads you can't see while someone is trying to hold up that much weight.

Allen

Hi Allen,

Yep, we are a very far way from home and have taken a couple of ferrys so far. 

The entire bottom edge of the back of the microwave rests on a metal strip the width of the unit, so it doesn't just come crashing down when you remove the screws.  I had forgotten that Tim (hubby) and I replaced the entire microwave when we first got the motorhome.  The first one was defective.  Tiffin/Allegro sent us a new one and was going to pay to have the old one removed and the new one installed; but we were heading out for a trip and didn't want to have to wait for an installer.  So I helped Tim remove the old one and put the new one in.  The only major problem with the process of removal and installation was the awkwardness and the weight of the microwave.  We didn't have trouble with either screw or the mirrors and our microwave butts right up to adjacent wall.  The mirrors are about two inches below the microwave on both the back wall and side wall.

One person holds/pushes the microwave against the wall, while the other removes the screws.  Then when the screws are removed, you let it tip forward and then lift the weight off of the metal strip by pushing upward on the bottom of the microwave.  It just tips forward, but you have to be prepared for the weight.

It should be just fine.

Marsha~

Thanks for the encouragement Marsha.  Glad I've had someone with experience to talk to as I'm sure I'll have to be the one giving all the instructions when the removal starts with whoever the appliance store sends out to help me.

With everything that goes wrong with these contraptions we drive I can't imagine being as far away from home as you are even though I'd dearly love to be there in that NE part of the country.  Understand from the TV that the  price of lobster has dropped due to the economy and the increase in the number of lobster fishermen.

Have fun.

Allen

Back
Top Bottom