Michigan U.P. Eastern Half two Week Circle Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

We took a two week trip around Michigan's Upper Peninsulas eastern half.  We did visit some parks we have not been to before....just for fun and to satisfy our curiosity.  We traveled counter clockwise starting at the Mackinaw bridge.  Below is a picture log of our trip.

If you place your cursor on a picture the title will pop-up in a second or two.

First set includes:

1 & 2: Picture of Michigan UP with State Parks listed.

3: We spent the first night just south of the Mackinaw Bridge at Wilderness S.P.  It is a pack them in S.P.

4 & 5 are at Brimley S.P. west of Sault Ste. Marie  Brimley S.P. has about 400 camping sites in it.  Some special ones for large rigs.

6 ? 10 we moved to a State Forest Campground that is on the shore of Lake Superior.  The average S.F. campground in Michigan has less than 20 camping sites.  This one has 18 sites and less than half were occupied while we were there.  Very quiet and as can be seen you have the beach almost to yourself.

Attachments

• 1  Michigan UP State Parks.JPG
    1 Michigan UP State Parks.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 3 Wilderness SP.jpg
    3 Wilderness SP.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 4 Near Brimley SP.JPG
    4 Near Brimley SP.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 5 Brimley SP.jpg
    5 Brimley SP.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 27
  • 6  Whitefish Pt.JPG
    6 Whitefish Pt.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 7 Camping at SF on Lake Superior.jpg
    7 Camping at SF on Lake Superior.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 26
  • 8 Lake Superior Beach.jpg
    8 Lake Superior Beach.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 9 Lake Superior Beach.JPG
    9 Lake Superior Beach.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 10 Lake Superior Sun Set.JPG
    10 Lake Superior Sun Set.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 24
1 &2 are of Grand Marais.  We needed ice and provisions.  It is a small community with: a post office, gas station, two small grocery stores, restaurant (think ice cream), a safe harbor, and a large township park serving the east side of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  A good place to read a book, relax and maybe have a swim (if you wear your wool sweater).

3 -6 another S.F. campground.  This one on a small flooding (pike fishing good in spring).  There was an immature (3-4 year old) bald eagle feeding on Canadian geese chicks that landed in a dead tree on a point just across the water from our site.  Spent at least 45 minutes watching it.

7 &8 Drove to Munising with the intension of taking a Pictured Rocks boat tour.  The sky along the road was blue and clear until we descended to Munising.  Munising was fogged in and no boats were going out.

9 &10  With Munising fogged in we went back up into the sun shine and drove down to Fayette S.P.  

Fayette is a turn of the century ghost town.  It was a ?company town? where they made pig iron from about 1860-1890.  Became a S.P. in the 1960?s and is slowly being restored.  We both remember as kids climbing all over the ruins.  Fayette has ?unimproved? state park campground (mainly fishermen and boats).  The Fayette townsite is a fun place to spend a day.

Attachments

• 11 Grand Marais Harbor.jpg
    11 Grand Marais Harbor.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 12 Grand Marais Harbor.jpg
    12 Grand Marais Harbor.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 11
  • 13 SF Near L. Superior.JPG
    13 SF Near L. Superior.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 14 Point w Eagle.jpg
    14 Point w Eagle.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 15 Pt. w Eagle - closs up.jpg
    15 Pt. w Eagle - closs up.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 16 Immature Bald Eagle.JPG
    16 Immature Bald Eagle.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 17 Tunnel of Trees.JPG
    17 Tunnel of Trees.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 18 Munising Fogged In.JPG
    18 Munising Fogged In.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 19 Fayette SP.JPG
    19 Fayette SP.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20 Fayette SP.JPG
    20 Fayette SP.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 20
1 ? 6 More pictures of Fayette S.P.

7 ? 10  From there we traveled to Big Springs (aka: Kitch Iti Kipi ? Indian name) otherwise known as Palms Book S.P.  They have cable raft that you pull yourself across the very clear and deep spring.  It is hard to tell how big the fish are, they could be 20 feet or more down.  But they ARE big.

Attachments

• 21 Fayette SP.JPG
    21 Fayette SP.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 22 Fayette SP.JPG
    22 Fayette SP.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 23 Fayette SP.jpg
    23 Fayette SP.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 24 Fayette SP Harbor.JPG
    24 Fayette SP Harbor.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 10
  • 25 Fayette SP - Blast Furnaces.JPG
    25 Fayette SP - Blast Furnaces.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 26 Fayette SP Harbor Area.JPG
    26 Fayette SP Harbor Area.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 27 Ktch Iti kipi.JPG
    27 Ktch Iti kipi.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 28 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    28 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 29 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    29 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 30 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    30 Kitch Iti Kipi.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 21
1 -4 We then headed east a little bit and visited the Seney National Wildlife Refuge.  It is the biggest refuge east of the Mississippi River and contains about 96,000 acres of wet lands.

5 ? 10   Headed back down to lower Michigan (we trolls live below the bridge) and visited the reconstructed Fort Michilimackinac.  It was originally built by the French in 1715.  Was taken over by the British after the French and Indian War was over.  Most of the English garrison were killed during the Pontiac Rebellion (caught with their pants down), but the British came back two years later and decided it was best to try to get along with the locals.  The Brits cleaned it out and burned the remainder to the ground at the start of the American Revolutionary War and built a more defensible fort (ie: canon resistant) on Mackinac Island, that fort is still there.  That fort's claim to fame was that the Americans were caught with their pants down there during the War of 1812.  Lots of people in the north woods seem to have there pants down.

Attachments

• 31 Seney National Wild Life Refuge.JPG
    31 Seney National Wild Life Refuge.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 32 Seney.JPG
    32 Seney.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 33 Eagles Nest.JPG
    33 Eagles Nest.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 34 Floodings.JPG
    34 Floodings.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 35 Mackinaw Bridge.JPG
    35 Mackinaw Bridge.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 36 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    36 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 37 Fort Owners.JPG
    37 Fort Owners.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 38 Modern Map.JPG
    38 Modern Map.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 39 Period Map.JPG
    39 Period Map.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 40 Outside the Fort.JPG
    40 Outside the Fort.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 17
1 ? 4 Are more pictures of the reconstructed Fort Michilimackinac.  It is about 30% rebuilt at this time.

5 -6 Is Joanne and Daisy.  We were staying just 2 miles east of Mackinaw City at the BIGGEST campground we have ever been in!!  They had a HUGE class ?A? section for big rigs.  Have over 800 sites and are in process of adding 200 more!! :eek: :eek:

If there is an activity you want?they had it.

The 5th wheel that came in front of us had to unload all fire wood prior to entering the park.  They have lots of trees are VERY serious about protecting them.

Not our style but we would stay there again if in the area for the night.  Lots of trees and privacy for a place so big.  We were also right on the Straits of Mackinac.  The bridge and the stars at night were wonderful.

Attachments

• 41 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    41 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 42 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    42 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 13
  • 43 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    43 Fort Michilimachinac.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 44 Fort Michilimachinac.jpg
    44 Fort Michilimachinac.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 13
  • 45 Machinaw City CG.JPG
    45 Machinaw City CG.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 46 Machinaw City CG.JPG
    46 Machinaw City CG.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 16
A great trip report on an area often overlooked area 1 day away from lots of metropolitan areas.

I always wanted to rent one of the Wilderness SP cabins accessible by boat, using our canoe to get to them west of the regular sites. I had dreams of the world class small mouth bass fishing where the straits meet Lake Michigan, both from my Sawyer 19' Guide Special and with my chest waders.

Thanks Bob,

You might want to think about the Two Hearted River.  It has a S.F. campground and some lodges in this "remote" area.  It is Hemingway country and one of his favorite places.

More nice photos!  The UP has a lot to offer.  By the way we noticed they now call themselves YOOPERS.  ::) I prefer UP.

ArdraF

This is good stuff for our trip next summer. We're planning on hitting MN, MI, and WI. Will keep this info.

Wendy

Wendy,

A couple more things in the area:

Northfield, Mn. has a yearly reenactment of the Jesse James Gang bank robbery attempt.  It was the last bank hold up by the gang and their demise.  It is a wild affair.  I would not want to be the town?s insurance carrier.  It is fun to watch though and the town is very picturesque.  Lots of horses and lots of shot um up.  Those Swedes do not give up their money easily.  The James Gang was after both money and revenge against the north.  One of the towns leaders was an officer and fought against them in the Civil War.  Getting money while destroying the town financially would have been sweet.

Defeat of Jesse James Days Celebration - Weekend After Labor Day

If you travel the northern route through Michigan?s UP.  Marquette, Michigan:  The Vierling Restaurant and/or the Swee****er Caf?.  Vierling?s has excellent and unique far and has a nice view of the harbor.  The Swee****er Caf? is great for b?fast through dinner.  It doesn?t have a harbor view but it has a pleasant setting, fresh baked goods, and VERY unique but good food.  We always eat at one or both when in town.

Thanks guys. I'll add those to the list although I don't know if we'll still be in the area Labor Day.

Wendy

Ardra,

When we did that circle we learned that people living above the bridge were called Yoopers, as you mentioned; and below the bridge people were called "Trolls"... ;D ;D  That cracked me up.

That's a very nice trip, thanks for the memories Len and Jo.

Bob, isn't that area known for it's canoe wilderness?  We when hiked we found a couple of areas where you could pull the canoe overland to get to the next lake.  Sure looked like fun.  I hope I'm thinking of the right area...old timers can sit in occasionally.  However, I've decided that it's not really old timers, it's that my hard drive is full and the server takes a lot longer to access things....and that perhaps I need to defrag.  :D

Marsha~

I'll put in a vote for Fayette State Park on lake Michigan. There are plenty of waterfalls for hiking opportunities in the UP. And the fishing, canoeing, and kayaking is outstanding.

Also I'll vote for Fisherman's State Park on Lake Michigan, and Twas State Park in Lake Huron in the Lower Penn.

Thanks for the great trip report Len and Jo. Excellent photos. Brings back many fond memories.

Currently in Greater Sudbury, ON

Barb,

South of Sudbury is Killarney Provincial Park.  That is a FANTASTIC park for canoing and hiking.  I got 6 inches shorter there once while portaging between two lakes.  ;D

It seems that the water in each lake has a different color of blue or green and the rock formations and colors very from white to light pink .... and in the sun it all just comes to life.

"Considered one of Ontario Parks? crown jewels, this majestic, mountainous wilderness of sapphire lakes and jack pine ridges so captivated artists ? including The Group of Seven?s A.Y. Jackson ? that they persuaded the Ontario government to make it a park. Once higher than the Rocky Mountains, La Cloche?s white quartzite cliffs gleam like snowy peaks from afar."  

Sounds like there'll be plenty of places we can give the kayak a workout next summer. Thanks for all the info and the great pics.

Wendy

Wendy,

You go those states it help practice local English, ah.

Da Yooper Creation Story

In da beginning there was nuttin'  Den??

On da first day God created the U.P.

On the second day He created da partridge, da deer, da bear, da fish,
and da ducks.

On da third day He said "Let there be YOOPERS to roam the U.P."

On the fourth day He created da udder world down below, and

on da fifth day He said "Let there be TROLLS to live in da world down below."

On da sixth day He created 'DA BRIDGE' so da TROLLS would have a way to get to Heaven.

God saw it was good and on the seventh day He went fishin' and watched da sunset from Brockway Mountain!!!

An' dese are Da Facts accordin' ta da way it wuz.

So I've gotta start practicing saying "da" and "Yooper" and answer when people call me a "troll"? And then when I get to Minnesota I'll have to talk different? What about Wisconsin, do they talk weird, too? Is this going to be like visiting several foreign countries? At least I can tell them I'm from Colorado - I don't think anyone has a grudge against Coloradans, do they? Oh, wait, there is that water we stole from Kansas.

Wendy

Wendy,  Wisconsin is the only state where people don't talk weird ;D

If you're from Wisconsin, that is.

Ya, ya Wendy,

Da Minnesotans talk about same, ah.  Big difference is da drive slower but really only do it in da middle lane, ah.

I think Wisconsin is very green and the only city is called Green Bay.  Day also have lots of police cars guarding all the empty roads between U.P. and Minnesota boarder.
Why I don't know.

And da all I know.

Da language in da area is a mash of Finnish, French Canadian, Cornish, and some German

Back
Top Bottom