2010 QUARTZSITE Rally - Info & Signup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Went over to Quartzsite location Thursday afternoon around 3:30 to see if anyone had arrived . Bob's camper and jeep were there . wanted to make sure he got his parking place . because i parked in it last year. I pulled up to the front of the front of the camper , the curtains we open. waved and yelled . then the sun glare was off of the winshield . There sat Bob in the passengers seat with computer in hand , sitting almost straight up ,mouth open eyes shut sawing logs. he was the only one around. I just couldn't wake him up .

Larry, We're all here - 25+ rigs, around the regular campfire area. Bob is parked on the far east end to make sure we have enough room for the 48 rigs that are signed up to attend. Come on over for Happy Hour, 4 pm every day. Gordon misses Jake.

Wendy

I arrived today and attended Happy Hour and  listened at the introductions.  I am continually amazed at the  folks who  are on the RVForum.  We have folks from across the USA , from all walks of life, with  a history of Rally attendance and newbies of 4 weeks or less.  We welcomed them all to  the RVForum FRAMILY this afternoon.
We  hope for clear skies despite weather forecasts.  Look for an envelope on your rig for the event schedule" and a few cherished activities.  I just love these rallies.
Betty

Greetings, Gang!

Sorry I'm not attending this year.  I'm catching up on a lot of VA medical stuff in Albuquerque.  The weather isn't too bad, and I'm parked at a friend's property next to the Bosque in Belen not far from Bob Maxwell's. 

Getting this stuff done now leaves me free to travel next year after I put my NM property on the market.

Jack and Diane Gibbs will MORE than enough make up for my absence. <bg>  They are wonderful folks that I've known for about <gasp> 20 years now!  It can be SUCH a small world!

IAC, I hope to make it to Q next winter and then Death Valley for the first time.

Hugs,

Sunday Night from Quartzsite:

o HERE is the latest list of 49 sign-up names and 27 arrivals so far. I understand that Smoky won't be with us so I have taken his name down -- however, added two new names.  :)

o 14 arrived for and completed our AM 2 mile walk. It was great to see so many this time. I hope even more will come along -- even if you don't feel up to the total 2 miles. Bernie set a brisk pace, but then, Helaine couldn't make it today!

o Great Happy Hour again! The ring of good framily folk is getting larger -- we may have to go to a double circle soon.

o It was great to see the response to the building of our RVForum Fire Ring! Helaine even wrote her name on the two rocks she brought. Jerry and Ardra brought several special rocks they picked up from the old mine at the base of Q mountain. Others I saw place rocks were Cindy and Lou -- but obviously from the pic I've posted the "ring is growing"!!

Have attached a few more pics taken today. Six more rigs arrived after the image of our site was taken. Have also included an image of a dying cactus across from my rig. They are even majestic when this happens -- tho I wonder what caused it while the surrounding cactus look like they will live forever.

Attachments

• 21RigsSoFar.jpg
    21RigsSoFar.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Group17th.jpg
    Group17th.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 61
  • BobAndLee.JPG
    BobAndLee.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Treats.JPG
    Treats.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 62
  • TheRingGetsBigger.jpg
    TheRingGetsBigger.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DyingCactus.jpg
    DyingCactus.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 49
Bob,

You really know how to hurt a guy!! ;D Wish we were there. Hope we get to see many of you during our trip this summer and fall. Unfortunately we do need to get back to Florida before the new year.

Jayne, I made it before happy hour at 4pm today but sure had a lot of snow on the Mogallon Rim between Eager and Payson! I did tghe whole run in 8.5 hrs.

Monday Night from Quartzsite:

o HERE is the latest list of 49 sign-up names and 29 arrivals so far.

o We had rain last night and overcast plus a bit of wind and chill today. HOWEVER, that did not stop us from an other great happy hour. During the day many visited The Big Show -- including Jeff, Don, and me. Jeff and I could not pass up those $3.50 "huge" cups of ice cream . . . and had trouble passing up that hot dog/bratwurst and such booth at the show entrance.  :p We decided to come back another day soon.

o We also did our 2 mile walk again this AM -- and that was great with only a few fewer than the day before. This group has some great walkers, plus those of us that are getting used to new hips, knees, or just trying to shed a few pounds. Helaine and Rita walked with me and we bought up the rear at a mild pace. I came in about 3 strides ahead of Rita -- so felt pretty good about myself.  ;)

o The fire ring!! What can I say, folks!!?? Everytime I come down to the Happy Hour area I am amazed at the grand rocks members are bringing to the ring. And they are not picking up just any ole rock -- they are bringing real gems. Have attached another "progress report" pic below.

o Bob Maxwell arrived today -- and that was great! He is a ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day -- as you can see from the images below.

We wanted to show how much fun we have at our happy hours, regardless of the weather -- so that is the theme of the pics attached . . .

Attachments

• BettyBobMaxW.jpg
    BettyBobMaxW.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 48
  • BettyBobMaxwell.jpg
    BettyBobMaxwell.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 46
  • DianeCindyLou.jpg
    DianeCindyLou.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 48
  • MikeWendy.jpg
    MikeWendy.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Russ.jpg
    Russ.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 51
  • RayRuss.jpg
    RayRuss.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 40
  • TimSue.jpg
    TimSue.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 43
  • WarmingByTheFire.jpg
    WarmingByTheFire.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 47
  • TheNeatFireRing.jpg
    TheNeatFireRing.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 41
Senor Maxwell, glad you made it.  You WERE beating feets!

By now you all probably have the start of the RAIN.  Been raining off and on here in Belen, and probably another foot of snow back in the Zuni Mtns.

Don't float away!

Ohhhhh .... you're killin' me,  Bob!  But keep those pictures coming.  They bring back such happy memories. 

Every time I see Betty in her "camp" clothes, I remember our collective gasp when she stepped out of the car wearing her "teacher/principal goes to meetin' clothes".  Lovely lady.  And, Russ in his "hat over hoody".  How can you not love that guy!  Good to see Bob Maxwell smiling. 

Keep 'em coming, Bob, I miss you all so much. 

Margi

Hi Robert,

I know you will enjoy the rally. We only wish we could be there as well. Hope we see you sometime during our trip west this summer!!

Tim and I will be there Wedneday AM.  Hopefully you all didn't get hit with the rains that came through here.  We are in Palm Springs and had flooding on the streets with heavy downpours for most of the afternoon and early evening.  At the moment it is a dark sky with stars poking out between clouds.

Robert,  I heard from a little birdie that you have something new.  :)

Marsha~

Tom and Margi said:
keep those pictures coming.  They bring back such happy memories. 

Every time I see Betty in her "camp" clothes, I remember our collective gasp when she stepped out of the car wearing her "teacher/principal goes to meetin' clothes".  Lovely lady. 
Margi,

Your kind words make me blush, but I am even  more impressed with your memory.  I have been retired over 7 years and those work clothes are no longer in the closet.  Each time I read your posts I can hear your voice.  It is raining here tonight in Quartzsite but we just bundle up for our get togethers.  I will go shopping tomorrow rain or shine.  Gotta love RVing! 
Betty

Some Stuff about Walking :

When I first started noticing that my hips were going South -- I read a few books on "walking". I also bought a pair of Rockport shoes designed for just walking. One of the books was written by Steve Reeves (not Superman, but rather the Mr. America guy that played Herc in several B movies). Here are some thoughts I picked up then - plus looking at a few websites that discuss walking . . .

o Walking "is" an Olympic sport.

o World class walkers cover a mile in a bit over 7 minutes.

o To qualify as walking, and to be cast out of a race if the rule is broken, one foot must always be touching the ground. Also, when your front foot heel touches the ground, the toe of the trailing foot must also be touching.

o To gain cardiovascular exercise (Steve Reeves called this Power Walking), one should walk a mile in 15 minutes or less. My time the first day here was 44 minutes -- or a 22 minute mile. Would imagine those up front in our RVForum walks are doing 15 minutes per mile or less.

o You do not gain speed by lengthening the stride. To go faster, the stride should be shorter. Walking power comes from the push off with the toe of the rear leg, whereas if you lengthen the stride, the emphasis is on the front leg -- and you are then trying to pull vs. pushing ahead.

o The arms help. The arms are bent, not straight down and should move forward and back opposite the other leg. The hands should never rise higher than the heart. The hand/arm movement should be straight forward and back.

Everything I've read tho, whether fast, slow or in between all agree that any type of walking is good for us. Several of us here have hip or knee replacements and have experienced not being able to walk at all - so being able to walk from point A to point B again is such a blessing.

Bob Maxwell said:
Jayne, I made it before happy hour at 4pm today but sure had a lot of snow on the Mogallon Rim between Eager and Payson! I did tghe whole run in 8.5 hrs.

Howdy, Bob Maxwell!!

Glad to see that you made it to the Q rally. Did you get an RV?  From the photos of you, you are looking better than when we last saw you.  :)  :)

Take care,
Jack and Liz

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom