Don't try this with your kids or grandkids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I snapped this picture on our way out last trip on the water. The kids on the bow of this boat probably thought it was cute, but last time I checked it was illegal, not to mention downright dangerous.

Attachments

• bowriders.JPG
    bowriders.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 111
Not to worry Tom.  It is all part of natural selection.  Clearly the gene pool from whence  these youngsters come does not include a lot of common sense. 

In my growing up years, we lived summers at a lake....saw this kind of nonsense all the time;
Some things never change...lot of morons out there operating those boats :-\
And now we've got those jet skiers to watch out for, too :eek:

Dick

[quote author=Dick and Pat]And now we've got those jet skiers to watch out for, too[/quote]

It always blew my mind that, until a year or two ago, CA boating regulations stipulated that a waterski observer had to be at least 12 years old, but there was no minimum age limit for boat drivers. I was always scared when I'd see 8 year olds driving large/powerful jetskis with their similarly aged friends or siblings on board. Kinda like giving an 8 year old a big motorcycle and telling them to go play on the freeway. It took several serious accidents and fatalities for CA to change the regulations so jetski drivers have to be 16 or older.

Tom said:
I snapped this picture on our way out last trip on the water. The kids on the bow of this boat probably thought it was cute, but last time I checked it was illegal, not to mention downright dangerous.

As an  old US Power Squadrons troll, may I add a bit of explanation for those who may not appreciate the danger.    Those kids riding on the bow could easily be bucked off if the boat should, for example, cross a wake.   If so, they are very likely to be run over by their own boat, run afoul of the engine propeller, and get sliced up like a salami.

Keep all riders off the bow, and keep them sitting with all appendages inboard when the boat is moving.

I agree that NOW we see the danger, but at what age or timeline did that change? for instance, was I the only one to ride: in the back of a truck flying down the road? laying in the back deck of a car(sometimes sleeping) driving without seat belts? or anyother thing that I find my gen did, and thought nothing of it? How about just letting your kids play at a ball field while you watch the game? that too used to be thought of as safe or no problem.

All has changed, time has changed, but yet as kids, they see what we saw back then, no worries, just fun. How time changes all of use :)

Thanks for the added clarification Carl.

All has changed, time has changed, but yet as kids, they see what we saw back then, no worries, just fun.

Understand the kids' perspective and lack of fear Kevin, but that's no excuse for the adults, one of which was driving the boat. This was one situation where I was hoping the Sheriff or USCG patrol would come by, so the adults would receive an education.

Apologies if this and similar posts come across as sanctimonious, but my intent is to help educate boaters in safe practices. When I look back, I've made some of these dumb mistakes myself, and count myself lucky to have got away with them relatively unharmed.

Stupid is a understatement, especially since the top of boats started looking like the upside down of the bottom of the boat, meaning if you slip you go off the boat instead of in the boat. Tom I disagree with your comments about eight year olds driving power boats, several years ago we had a 50 something year old set his auto pilot on his Viking and go below for lunch, the boat ran over a 20 foot Grady White at anchor and killed two of the three men fishing on the Grady, I would prefer an eight year old to a auto pilot! I have been told that a Hatteras yacht came up the Hudson river some years ago at high speed, on auto pilot while the owner was down below doing his secretary, the boat rammed the base of the Newburge Beacon Bridge (RT. 84) in NY. I was told no one got hurt but both the owner and his secretary were rescued off the deck of the sinking yacht by good Samaritans (they were butt naked). :eek:  I think I would prefer a smart eight year old to a stupid 50 year old.

Mark,

Feel free to disagree with me any time.

I agree that the autopilot tricks were dumb. We don't use autopilot on rivers, sloughs, or congested waterways and, in any event, don't leave the helm even in open seas.

I was referring to 8 year olds driving jetskis, the waterborne equivalent of a motorcycle. At that age, few kids have any road sense or water sense. When one of the grandkids, then 14 (and before the age limit was imposed) rode our jetski, my son and I hopped in a Boston Whaler and positioned ourselves so we could observe how he was riding. We pulled him over several times to explain what he should be doing differently. This was a kid who regularly rode motorcycles, albeit offroad.

Tom I understand what you were saying, it is scary what goes on on the water, my brother has a commercial fishing boat ( head boat) and has his jet ski hunting license posted in the cabin! :D

Kevin did you see today's headlines? 5 kids knocked out of pickup by a Neon, four dead one critical "just fun", most have gotten smarter over the years, some are still stupid!

I'd like to think that I'm one of the smarter ones, well on a few ocations that is. I still can't believe that more of us didn't get killed back then

Tom I understand about the adult thing, and yes just when you need a police offiecer, never around. I think the main problem today is the parents, don't want to be parents, they want to be best friends with their kids instead, or the cool parent. GET OVER IT your a parent not a teenager anymore... sorry I'll step down now...kevin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom