HELP WITH TT REMODEL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWGirl

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1985 18' Wilderness TT and am planning on doing some minor remodeling of her. 

1.  I am replacing the ugly old vinyl with new.  Would you recommend removing the old vinyl first or putting the new vinyl on top of old?

2.  I am going to paint the walls and cabinets.  What would you use as a primer and why?

I appreciate any help in this as this is my first TT and I want to do it right.

Thank you!

Sheila :)

I'd probably remove the old - you can get a better fit that way. You probably will want to add some "stuffing' anyway to plump things up and make the corners fit nicely. Will you be making the new covers yourself?

What is now on the walls and cabinets? Some form of paper finish that imitates wood veneer? Is it all firm and tightly adhered? If the finish is very smooth and glossy, you may have to sand it a bit to get even primer to adhere, but be careful because it is easy to rub right through the think paper veneer. A primer like Kilz or Zinsser will stick to almost anything, though, so that probably is not necessary. Clean the walls and cabinets well with a good detergent to make sure all oils and dirt are removed.

If you have solid wood cabinets and paneling (I don't recall a Wilderness having that quality of interior materials, though), then sand lightly, clean and prime. Use a good quality gloss paint on the cabinets, something that is durable and easy to wipe clean.

Thank you for your reply Gary :)

I am going to be doing everything myself. 

No, she doesn't have any real wood on her.  That's one reason that I am painting.  It doesn't look so hot after nearly 25 years (although it's been WELL taken care of).  I like the new, clean, look of the white cabinets but with my hours cut at work, do not have extra funds to do a true remodel- replacing cabinets or even just the fronts.

I am planning on replacing the original cream & yellow vinyl (now that is ugly!) with a honey oak plank type vinyl. 

I like the look of this 2010 Shadow Cruiser and I think that I can turn my Wilderness into a poor man's version if it.

Attachments

• Shadow Cruiser.jpg
    Shadow Cruiser.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 100
PNWGirl said:
I like the look of this 2010 Shadow Cruiser and I think that I can turn my Wilderness into a poor man's version if it.

That is a gorgeous interior.  I do like the white finish but I wonder if it would 'date' a TT down the road.  That is if I was looking for a new one....ya, ....Rrrrrrright.

You are too funny!  ;D

I figure anything I do to improve her is all good.  Besides, I am doing this for me, she has character  8).  I plan on keeping her for a long time and I'm creating my perfect littlle home-away-from-home. 

Every RV style, inside or out, is dated within a few years anyway. May as well have something you like and is easy to maintain. Gulfstream, Wanderlodge, and some others used the white or light streamlined interiors for a few years but they never really caught on in the mass market. I've seen some Prevost conversions done that way too.

RV Roamer said:
Every RV style, inside or out, is dated within a few years anyway. May as well have something you like and is easy to maintain. Gulfstream, Wanderlodge, and some others used the white or light streamlined interiors for a few years but they never really caught on in the mass market. I've seen some Prevost conversions done that way too.

I agree. They're all dated in a short time.  We've got the 90s blue fabric interior and now the rage seems to be the earth tones (browns and such).  It's all about fads and money.  .....mostly money.  :D

Back
Top Bottom