cant figure out the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdevo82

newby in a 2008 chevy freelander. last night was our first night, today we went to use the oven and cant figure it out. i turn on the pilot light, try lighting every thing i see under there and nothing happens. i have never used a oven like this before so i dont know if im just ignorant, or if something is wrong. i can get the stove top to work, so i dont think its out of propane or anything.
any suggestions?
also if anyone has any idea how to look up the owners manuals online, could ya point me in the right direction?

Did you have to put a match or lighter to the stove top burners?  If not, your oven is probably a DSI (direct spark igniter).  You would just set the temp and wait for the igniter to lite the flame.  How long you have to wait might be the key.  If there is no propane in the line to the oven, it may take a minute to fill the line, then ignite the spark.

Have fun with the new RV.

Marsha~

[size=12pt]bigdevo82,  I have a similar unit.  It is made by Coachman.  You are correct, the oven is difficult to light.  I use one of those long propane lighters.  Use a flashlight and way in the back left corner at the bottom of the oven is the pilot light.  Light the propane lighter and hold it under the pilot light and hold down the oven knob in the PILOT position.  It is not very easy and does take some time.  We did get our oven to light and it works well.

When I get back home tonight I will dig out the oven manual to get you a model number of the oven.  Perhaps you can do an internet search and locate a copy for yourself.  Did you purchase the unit new?  Mine came with a manual.[/size]

These ovens require a bi-metallic strip to be heated up prior to allowing the pilot jet from receiving propane. This is so the gas is shut off if the pilot light gets extinguished.

Mine takes about 20-30 seconds of depressing the knob while in the pilot position, and applying flame to the pilot assembly. Look for the little pipe that points up towards the burner. Next to it is another smaller strip. That strip is what needs to be heated up.

Once you learn the technique, it's not a horrible job to relight it. That, or you can just leave the pilot light lit. Since we use the oven as cargo space, we shut the oven down after use.

Joe
For those who really wonder, the bi-metallic strip creates a small voltage when hot. The safety circuitry in the oven detects this voltage and activates a small solenoid/valve assembly that allows the gas to "continue" flowing to the pilot jet.

I don't know of any RV ovens that have DSI ignition, even though the stove top may have a piezo sparker to light the flame there.  Most require a external flame to light the pilot, in the manner already described here.

I don't know why, but on some, if not all RV stoves, turning the knob past the pilot position to the point where the main burner will come on disables the pilot's bi-metallic flame sensor and creates a continuous gas flow to the pilot, making it very easy to light.  It's held true on the last 2 RV stoves I've owned, both Suburban and Wedgewood.

When the temperature control is advanced past the pilot position, the pilot flame increases in size.  The pilot flame sensor now controls gas flow to the main burner, so the main will not ignite until the sensor heats up, which takes several seconds after the pilot flame is lit.   This gives you time to get your hand and arm out of the way.

BTW ... all disclaimers apply.  Your mileage may vary, try at your own risk, etc.

Bigdevo82 didn't say what kind of oven they have.  Our Magic Chef has spark ignition for the range burners, but not for the oven.  Our oven lights best when we set the oven knob to the temperature we want (not the Pilot position) and then I get down and hold a match to the pilot light.  Once the pilot lights I remove my match and a bit later the gas goes around the burner.  It may take a flashlight to learn where the pilot light is located.  Also, on our model we don't have to push in any knob and hold it, but we did on a previous oven.  If Bigdevo82 tells us what model oven he has, we might be able to help him better.

ArdraF

I sent an email to bigdevo82 and got a response that the oven is lit and kids are eating pizza.

The FORUM has helped another RV'er!

yes, thank you all so very much. i dont have a computer in the rv so i have to wait till i have time to check my email and what not at work. got it to work, and it works wonderfully. ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom