06 corolla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy

I have a 06 Corolla that I want to tow with My class A .
The car is a auto FWD I do have a tow dolly and I assume I can tow this car with it .
The manual will only tell me not to flat tow and if I need a tow truck make sure front wheels are off the ground.

SO I think I can tow this car but what I need is answers
Tow in PARK?
Tow in NEUTRAL ?
ACC on/off?

Thanks for the help and links you may have

I have the same questions only with a 96 Corolla.  I have not yet bought the dolly but am looking.
Anyone have any answers?

The only way to tow this car 4 down is with a REMCO driveshaft disconnect, or use your dolly to tow it on.  

The dolly gets the front wheels off the ground, right? So that's what you need to do per the owner manual.

Keep the tranny in Park, so the car doesn't roll off the dolly. Use the tie down straps too.

You probably want to keep the outside air intakes closed to keep road dirt out of the interior, so put the heat/vent/AC system in whatever position achieves that. Probably something with a name like "Recirculate" or similar. Not a big deal if you forget, though.

The only strange thing is in the book{ OWNERS MANUAL}  under Tow Truck towing with front wheels off the ground has this
statement  { tow in neutral }......... I was also thinking I should tow in park
The last car I used the dolly I had to tow in park.

Thanks for the help.

The "tow in neutral" is probably an advisory to the tow truck driver so that if there's an equipment failure and the car gets lowered to the ground during the tow, it won't damage the transmission from being in park. Not really an issue on a tow dolly.

Also to answer your ACC question, with it on a dolly, you don't need to have the key in the ignition at all. Just strap it up and make sure the parking brake is off.

Thanks all.  What is the word on Stehl dollies?  I have one very nearby I can get with little use for cheap?  It has the hydraulic surge disc brakes.

Terry - does your Corolla have a manual or automatic transmisison?

According to the Remco Towing Guide, you can flat tow the Corolla as-is if it has a manual transmission.  If you have an automatic transmission you can flat-tow if you use their Transmission Lube Pump.

Apparently the issue that prevents flat towing the automatic is providing adequate lubrication to the transmission while the engine is not running.  The Lube Pump solves that problem.

I also think to flat tow You need to drop the drive shaft .
per post from frontranger and the answers I got when looking to flat tow this car from.

WWW.remcotowing.com

again thanks to ALL ::)

Mine is an automatic and I really do not want to disconnect anything or install a pump.  So I guess a dolly is the way to go.  But I may get the Stehl dolly unless it is junk.  I go look again and try it Saturday.

let me know how it works for you
I have a tow Master Dolly I will test it out maybe this weekend.

OUr MH is in the shop for the new RV fixes so I am going to try out the dolly with my truck.  Sure I can figure it out and base my decision on that.  Will let yoou know.

Finally we found a dolly and went ahead and got it.  It was from a gentleman older than I who decided it was easier to go four down.  It is an 06 Demco Kar Kaddy SS that has been used three or so times.  It is brand new looking and I am thrilled to have found the actual dolly I wanted to begin with used(sort of).  I registered it just for safety reasons although many people I talked to said no need to register a tow dolly.  NOT SO per the Ca DMV.  The guy at the DMV said all tow dolly type trailers must be registered in Ca.  No big deal it is cheap.  I tried it out for fun yesterday and for the first time doing it it was not tooo bad.  BUT,  I can see why some folks like to go four down.  Being 56 years old I can see myself going four down in another 8 to 10 years.  And doing it in the rain will be a drag,  but I like the idea of using the Corolla this time and the Tacoma for Quartzsite and other desert visits.  When I am older and maybe wiser I do see me with one car to take with four down.

Sounds like a nice dolly!  I've had no problems using mine for 2 seasons now.  It has a rotating deck which allows for sharper turns, BUT if you turn too sharply you can cause contact/damage between the dolly and vehicle fenders... so take yours our for some "test turns" in a big parking lot sometime, so you know how sharp you can safely turn.  Dolly use does require getting on the ground for some connections, but that doesn't bother me and I've never had to hook or unhook rain/mud yet... luck I guess.  I don't have brakes on mine which I wish I did, but I had to go with what I could find when I was shopping.  I rarely drive faster than 55-60 in my RV and plan ahead my stopping (leaving lots of extra room) as much as possible.

Is the Corolla or Tacoma rear wheel drive? If they are, you may still need a drive line disconnect to tow them. Even on a dolly.

Look in the owners manual and see what it says about towing. Many vehicles can't be towed with wheels on the ground that is why most towing companies have gone to the flat bed tow trucks.

You are correct.  No Tacoma it is rear wheel.  Guess we will have to take the CRV.  99.9% I would not have even driven up on the platform but this is why I think forums are a great thing.  Many great minds.

The kar kaddy ss has the wheels turning during cornering.  I kept an eye out close with the CRV loaded and was able to U-turn in my cul-de-sac.  I will have the wife stay out and keep an eye on it so we know how close we come and maybe I can remember while driving.  Thanks for that clue.

Lucky you I have the Matrix 09 and I can't get it on the dolly the front end hits.

Gary

That's funny.  I had a 98 Toyota Tacoma pick up truck manual shift and I was sure it was a front wheel drive.  We towed it all over the place with no modifications.  Dang thing ran forever!

Marsha~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom