No voltage to electric brake controller on 06 Silverado 1500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcouv1

I have just installed an electric brake controller on my 2006 Silverado 1500 and am not getting any voltage to the controller.  I have installed the 40 amp fuse to the #1 Stud position in the box under the hood as per instructions from the harness provided with the truck. I still have no voltage reading on the red or blue wire connections under the dash where the trailer brake harness connects too. Any clue?

When I first started towing a horse trailer and subsequent trailers since I had a habit of pulling the wires through the frame.  I found out later that i was knocking the insulation off and usually ended up with a bad GROUND.

I believe you have two grounds on your unit.

Try checking continuity on all your wires inadditon to the fuze's.

It can be a real headache.

Good Luck,

Russ

bcouv1 said:
I have just installed an electric brake controller on my 2006 Silverado 1500 and am not getting any voltage to the controller.  I have installed the 40 amp fuse to the #1 Stud position in the box under the hood as per instructions from the harness provided with the truck. I still have no voltage reading on the red or blue wire connections under the dash where the trailer brake harness connects too. Any clue?

Are you using the factory pigtail brake control adapter? I think there is a 10 am that you have to install to get power to the controler. The 40 is for a trailer battery charge circuit. If I recall correctly

Wayne

Does your controller have an internal fuze.

It's been a long time since I played with controller.  

Are you connecting to the brake switch/wire for power?

I would jumper directly to the battery to see if I get power to the unit.

Just random thoughts hope one of them helps

Russ

I don't know if this video would help or not, it is for a 2008 GMC:

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake_controller_install_2008_GMC_Sierra.aspx

Not sure if things have changed but when I did one of my chevys I had to find the power wire for the power to go to the controller in addition to installing a fuse, wire was folded up and taped to harness next to the box with the fuses under hood.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom