Removing excess spray glue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford.ms

Montpelier or Surf City - it just depends!
The headliner in my unit is a textured (for lack of better word) plastic-like material. There are a few areas here and there where spray glue was left on it during the build. I have tried a few mild cleaners such as normal soap and Dawn but so far nothing has touched it. I thought about something more agressive but have held off not wanting to damage or stain the headliner in the process of getting the glue off. My local RV dealer was clueless too. Anyone have the same issue and any success with a particular product?

Thanks!

If the Goo-Gone won't touch it get a can of laquer thinner. Use a white rag and a little thinner. As was suggested, find an out of the way spot. Laquer thinner does not leave any residue.

The older liquid Goo Gone product always seemed to have its limitations, but the newest version I've found most places is a "gel" version that really sticks on the spot where you spray it.  It works much better in my experience, taking off an old, dirty adhesive spot on some wood trim that always drove my crazy.  I was about to power-sand the trim and restain it, but I'm glad it didn't come to that!

As opposed to the lacquer thinner, I'd recommend a sister product, Varsol.  It is a bit easier to work with, and we use it for any/all stains that are petroleum based.  There's always a bottle in the house and in the coach.

Ed, where do you find that Varsol? First time I ever heard of it. I'd like to give it a try.

We can get it here in Canada at any hardware store, or even at Walmart.  It's in the paint department, it's main purpose was to clean up when you use oil based paint.

Varsol is Exxon-Mobil's brand family of mineral spirits, aka white spirits. It comes in a variety of grades, from plain old "paint thinner" mineral spirits to naptha.

Paint thinner & mineral spirits are much safer to use than lacquer thinner - less volatile, higher flash point, lower odor and doesn't dissolve plastics like lacquer thinner or MEK does.

Thanks for details Gary, all I know is that it works and usually does not hurt most fabric.  And since this string is about glue removal, I should have said that we use it for that purpose too.  It usually does full disolve glue, but it does make it very moist thus allowing you to rub it off.  However, as others have said, start in an out of the way area just in case.

Back
Top Bottom