Window Glass Treatment - Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford.ms

Montpelier or Surf City - it just depends!
My rig has three windows in the bedroom, one each at the head and foot of the bed and one to the side which is the rear window of the coach. From a driving perspective and the interior layout there is no inside rear view. We have a problem with the shades being a bit on the thin side so light from other coaches at night or overhead lighting shines through too much for both of us. We thought about replacing the shades with something heavier, but then to keep things the same throughout the coach we would have to replace all of them and I am not up for that expense. So we are now talking about installing darker glass treatments which would be similar to window tinting but they are a lot easier to remove. We have used these on a couple of windows in our home and they were a perfect solution to our "too much light" problem. What I am not sure about is whether there are any restrictions to doing this legally for a vehicle on the road or not. I cannot imagine that there would be but thought I would ask. Again shutting the shades on all of these windows in no way inhibits the safety of operating the coach.

Thanks!

Sounds like you are talking about the bedroom windows and not the windshield or side windows(drivers and passenger), so you can black them out if you really wanted to. My drivers and passenger windows, are so dark that you can't see me sitting in the drivers seat from outside and I have never been bothered, but I could get in trouble for that. I have a dark plexiglass piece attached to my A-pillar that blocks light coming from the right side of my coach so I do not get any reflection near the mirror that many people complain of with window tint/treatments.

I'd like to see photos or websites of any of the treatments you all have used with success.  We'd like to darken up our bedroom windows also, as well as the side front windows that can let in a lot of sunlight/heat when driving.  I had thought of just getting a pull-down vinyl window shade, but a tinting option would be much less bulky and make the coach look better from the outside IMO.

Check out http://www.mcdinnovations.com/
I am having Davis Cabinet of Junction City OR install this system.
However I suspect you are looking for a less pricey option. I will be spending over $6,000.00

If you have the classic RV day/night shades most of the manufacturers make one that is "room darkening".  We changed our bedroom shades to this type years ago, long before MCD shades came a long.  It cost a little over $100 for each shade but that depends on size.  Contact your existing shade manufacturer and see if they have smething for you.  Ours match the original shades perfectly and you cannot tell the difference except inside at night.

rhmahoney said:
I will be spending over $6,000.00

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

That's half what I paid for my entire motorhome.

rhmahoney said:
However I suspect you are looking for a less pricey option.

Uh yeah, you could say that.  I'm thinking more along the lines of product sold at Wal-mart.  ;)

THIS video shows the process I used for the GILA brand film I used 6 years ago on mine.

My only regret was choosing "dark smoke" instead of "limo black" and I did the large windows by the dinette and couch for about $12.

Advance Auto, Parts Plus, Pep Boys, or even Walmart will have it unless things have drastically changed. If the windows are flat, it's no big deal to apply. Just DO NOT ALLOW the wet film to stick to itself. 4 hands are better than two.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom