'71 18 foot TT Questions galore!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jesse2012

Okay so I bought this 18 foot travel trailer; it's a 1971 Holliday, spelled with 2 Ls. Was made in Dalhart Texas. The plate on the end of the unit says it is a Holliday Sport, made at Dalhart Manufacturing Co. The only other info I have for the camper is from the title: year-1971, Make-HULR-, Model- HOL  DGVW- 4300  WT./wheels-2300

I have searched the internet looking for information on this camper and can find none whatsoever. I can only find info on the Holiday campers, ones with 1 L and am assuming the two are not related. Any info on this trailer would be greatly appreciated.

My TV is a 2000 Chevy 3500  Model says GM4 standard cab 2 wheel drive, thinking it has the 5.7 in it. GVWR-9000lbs.  GAWRFRT- 4100lbs  GAWRRR- 6084 lbs. I would like to know the actual weight of the trailer if possible and the actual weight I can pull with my TV. Also I have a class 3/4 hitch that will be installed on the truck.

I have yanked both end walls out of the trailer and replaced with birch as well as new insulation along with a few other odds n ends that needed replaced/repaired. Yet I still have about a zillion questions regarding this TT. I have both 12v and AC lighting and both are in working order. I have one deep cycle battery hooked up. Can find hide nor hair of a converter, nor can I hear any fan running. Is it possible that I do not have one?  If I do have one hidden somewhere and cannot find it, is it possible to just have a new one installed anyway?

Just one more for now please, my trailer is a double axle and I can see a cut wire hanging from the rear trailer hub on the drivers side. I am assuming this went to the brakes, and that I will need to have new brakes installed or at least that hooked back up. I know from reading this great forum to go with the prodigy brake controller but what are good brakes for this TT should I need new ones?

Please forgive my ignorance, this is all so new to me, even though I have been reading the RV forums for a few years now, it's way different actually having one sitting in the driveway. Thanks, Jesse

You can check the ratings for a 2000 Chevy in the Trailer Life Towing Guide for 2000. The rating will be different for a conventional trailer vs a fifth wheel, so make sure you look under the right heading. Cab style, box length,  rear axle ratio, and 2wd/4wd also makes a difference.

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/downloads/00towingguide.pdf

Your converter is no doubt integrated with the 120v load center (breaker panel) and probably a Magnetek 6330. This model and its sisters in the 63xx series are well known as poor at charging batteries but excellent at boiling the electrolyte out of them, so monitor  the battery water closely. If the budget permits, I recommend installing the upgrade top the 7300 series converter (there is an upgrade kit) or disconnecting the converter portion and installing a separate 3 stage converter/charger from Progressive Dynamics or Iota.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Magnetek-63007300-Upgrade-Kit_c_64.html

The brake wire needs to be re-connected to see if they work. The brake is part of the wheel assembly and are generally replaced as a unit (backer plate with brakes and shoes already attached). You will need to identify the axle make (probably either Dexter or Alko) and the brake size, e.g. 12" to get replacement brakes or parts. Here is one source for old trailer brakes and information on them:
http://www.marksrv.com/
http://www.dexteraxle.com/parts_store

It may be just as simple and cost effective to replace the axles. That way you have new spindles, bearings, wheels, brakes and everything, as well as springs and the axle itself. I would guess around $400 for an axle the size you would need for that trailer. x2, of course.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I just got this Chevy and know little of it, every time I call for a part or something they always ask if it's a Silverado. I am clueless truthfully, just know it's a 3500, nothing on the vehicle to identify otherwise, so not sure which one I'd use on the chart. There's so much to learn about this TT, sometimes I feel like such a dolt!

I kind of suspected the converter might be integrated in with the breaker panel, but wasn't sure. It just has the one breaker on it, nothing else to identify anything. Would I still not hear a fan running though if it were working?

I sure hope that I do not need to spend 1k for new axles, but if so, then I suppose I will work it out. The guy I bought it from told me it didn't need brakes, of course. Even though I suspected differently, I was hoping he was right, or at least that I could hook these back up.

On the bright side of things, I just finished staining my new birch walls in the TT and they look spectacular! :) Will post pics once I am all finished.

Jesse

If it doesn't have the "Silverado" badge on the side, then it is a plain "classic" 3500. As near as I can tell from the Towing Guide, there was no Silverado version of the 3500 in 2000 anyway.

Hi Jesse, Did you ever find any info on your Holliday?  I just bought a '72 Holliday Sport and haven't been able to find anything about them.

Rick

Hey Rick,

I was not able to find much at all about them. I ended up selling mine once I finished the remodel because we moved back to Florida and I could not drive the moving truck and my truck with the camper both, and my wife was afraid to drive either one.

Jesse

This may help somewhat : Go to this link and enter your vin # off TV.  Sometimes it gives some interesting specs.
http://www.decodethis.com/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom