Where to buy tires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abnmarine

We just purchased a 27ft 1995 Callista Cove RV on a E350 chassis in PA and drove it home in VA. Trip was uneventful and the rig rode smooth (only 11k miles) and averaged 10 mpg through the mountains. The EFI 460 had plenty of torque and didn't need to downshift when climbing a steady incline.

I learned here about how to check when the tires were made. Some of mine are pretty old. I'm deploying in a couple weeks and winterized the rig. When spring arrives, I want to replace all of the tires (qty x 6) so they are safe and new. The size on the RV is a 225/75/16. Where is the best place to buy tires? Thanks.

I used to find good pricing on 16" Michelin tires at Costco. They had to special order the RV tire but had them in a few days.

My PA inspection station buys and installs tires he  acquires on line.  He has installed name brands on several of my vehicles.

Check out on line for prices and sizes:

Here are a few siites

www.TireRack.com     
www.AmericasTire.com     
www.tirewarehouse.net/

Have a safe deployment
My son leaves Pendleton next Friday.

Semper Fi
Russ, WB3FQI/6

16" tires like yours should be fairly easy to come by.  Many large pick-ups and vans will use a similar size & load rated tire (an LT type tire) and many dealers will carry them or at least know how to get them. Even Walmart auto centers can usually handle LT225/75R16. The trick is to shop around for alternative brands and prices.

Just make sure the load rating (tire carrying capacity in lbs) is at least equal to the current tires. Even higher is better. It will be stamped into the sidewall of the tire, e.g. "2765 lbs @ 90 psi" or something like that.

Thanks for the information. I searched Tire Rack. I wasn't sure if the truck tires were the same. Good to know they will be easy to get. I'll check the current load rating for them. Any brand recomendation for a smooth quiet ride?

I always liked Michelin.

My first set on the full size Van were Goodyear and I was satisfied.

However, the mechanic recommended Hercules LT 10ply.  I had several side walls crack on the lower rated tires.  The length of the Van behind the MH attracts curbs.  also when they loaded me on the ferry in NC they hit the curb and 3 days later the tire split.

As Gary said check the rating.  I have LT245 75 16 on the Van and it rides quiet well.

Russ, WB3FQI/6

I've searched and their database says the vehicle comes with 245/75/16 tires instead of the 225/75/16's that are currently on it. Any problem running the 245's instead?

Whose data base has sizes listed for old RVs? That would be a valuable resource.

If 245/75 was the original, then there should be no problem using them. If not and the 225 was original, then your speedometer and odometer will be off slightly. The 245 will have a slightly larger diameter and circumference, but no big deal.

Gary, I was submitting a Ford E350 chassis in it. They didn't list a RV model. I would call prior to ordering, just wanted an idea of the cost of tires. I agree a database for older RVs would be nice.

Don't take the E350 info as gospel.  The van cutaway chassis used for motorhomes often differs in detail from the standard passenger van configuration. Things like fan belts, batteries, tires, alternators, etc. are often different sizes.

I would thing that 245/75 tires would do fine, though, and may even have a bit more weight carrying capacity.

I'll check with a local shop to see what they recommend. I have a friend who took his Class A there to get new tires. Thanks again.

Well I'm at the shop getting the tires. They looked at all of them and recommended for me to only buy two tires. Really one is dy rotted but they suggested putting the two new ones on the front and keeping one old tire for a spare. The tires still have the manufactuer stamp and webbing one them. I initially was plannng on getting all six tires replaced until they told me this.

I'm also getting the trannsmission fluid flushed since I don't know if it has ever been done. $89 is cheap insurance for the tranny.  The brakes have been checked and they are good. Current tires are D ratings. The new tires are Firestone E ratings.

I wouldn't trust any tire whose sidewall date stamp indicated it was past its 7th birthday, regardless of apparent condition. If the shop thinks they are good tires, ask them to give you a hefty trade in allowance for it on a new one. Let somebody else gamble on how long they will really last.  A 7 year old tire with zero miles on it is still a risky proposition. It might last 3 more years, or it might fail the first time out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom