HOLE TRUTH ABOUT DAY NIGHT SHADES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

As in metal HOLE that cuts string. I found out why one string was cut so fast. See photo 1. This photo shows the problem better than anyone could describe it. It is a wonder it lasts at all. This next Tip will help greatly in restringing the shades. Put some Super glue (cyanacrylate) I used Loctite on the first inch of the string. After it cures cut just the tip off & the string will be as stiff as a needle. Much better to thread thru the many holes that way.
    Someone on another post mentioned he thought the factory put the grommets in the center metal strip in backwards. I think they did also. When I tried to put new factory grommets in from the bottom (opposite) from the factory, I found they needed to be longer to go thru the paper, the plastic, & the metal. See photo 2. I had some larger ones from my travels. Don?t know where I got them or I would tell you and I would get a lot more. There must be a plastic grommet store somewhere. In photo 3 you can see where I drilled out & installed it from the bottom. I put Super glue to hold them in. This shade was over the escape window in the bedroom. They ran 2 strings together thru each hole. I measured the string to be 16 feet per side.
  Here is another question, look at photo 4.  On mine someone put so much tape over the spring & thread at the factory that I could not pull tight enough on the string to make the spring stretch out. Seems to me this would defeat the purpose of the spring in the first place.  When I put it back together I put very little tape on the string. Hope I am correct as it is so much fun doing it over if I am wrong.
  John you can move this if you want but I know we Winnebago folks have a LOT of these shades. Once in a great while I hear they brake a string. Art

Attachments

• 1 METAL CUTTING STRING HERE.JPG
    1 METAL CUTTING STRING HERE.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2 LARGER GROMET NEXT TO OLD ONE.JPG
    2 LARGER GROMET NEXT TO OLD ONE.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 3 LARGER GROMMET IN FROM THE BOTTOM.JPG
    3 LARGER GROMMET IN FROM THE BOTTOM.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 4 TAPE OVER SPRING.JPG
    4 TAPE OVER SPRING.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 127
As an owner who has about four (or was it five) shade strings fail, I completely don't understand this  :mad:

My goal is to go 100% MCD shades (no strings..)

When I tossed my shades out after 6 years of regular use, 3 fulltime and moving most of the shades up and down daily, we had had one shade repaired. We had one broken again and two others about to go. When I examined a couple of them I found the string had worn/cut clear through the grommets in a few places, and on at least one the string had gone beyond the grommet to cut a slot about 1/2" long in the bottom blind slat!! We replaced ours with MCD shades.

I restrung mine after in the first 6 months and then again in a few months. I found some burrs around the grommet holes in both the plastic and metal parts. I deburred the holes and restrung them again. They lasted 4 1/2 years but I had to redo one this week. It turns out I missed three holes in one of the plastic slats.

We washed the one we restrung and the other large one. Boy were they dirty!

We have discussed buying the MCD shades and probably will. They do seem to be somewhat overpriced though. I keep hoping they will get some competition and drop their prices.

I completely agree with this post. My 2006 Winnebago shades were problem free the first two years. In the past year five shades had strings break due to chaffing on the metal holes in the center metal rail. The white plastic grommets had popped out of the holes leaving the fabric cord to be cut by the bare metal and sharp burrs around the holes left there during the manufacturing process. The grommet is tapered so that it will snap into the hole and should not come out . However, during the shade assembly process the grommet is installed from the top of the center rail, down through a layer or two of material and a plastic stiffener, then though the rail hole. The problem is the reach on the grommet post is not long enough to pass through the hole and lock in place, even after removing the burrs around the hole. The problem seems to be fixed by removing the burrs and installing the grommet from the bottom of the rail and using general purpose cement to hold it in place while completing the restringing process. I am familiar with other individuals who have followed this process and claim that over time the cord wears grooves in the grommet and eventually wears completely through the grommet to the metal hole. For this problem I purchased aluminum grommets, similar to shoestring eyelets, from a fabric store and it on one shade. It works great and should not become grooved.

Cruzn, welcome to the forum, and we really appreciate the informative post about these annoying shades.

So.....John....when are you going to come up with a plan to manufacture shades similar to MCD shades and sell them to us Winnie owners?  ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom