RVing on oxygen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wendy

Site Team
My Dad just went on oxygen 24/7. He still wants to travel this winter in their 5th wheel. I know some of you have travelled / are travelling with oxygen. So, what Dad wants to know is how do you get your oxygen refilled?

Thanks
Wendy

My wife is on oxygen and we are traveling in a motor home. What we have is a supply of small bottles in coke carrying cases for walking and daily functions, they are carried in shoulder harness. While traveling we have a small air compressor that can be driven off 110 outlet connected to small inverter for TV.
I do not know what you have in house which is large pump but the MH pump is smaller and fits behind her seat. In a truck it may fit on floor in center of cab. If you have a back seat could fit there.
It does work on 110 so you would have to rig up a inverter in truck.
Do not know what you have in 5th possible could work from there just would need heavier wire because of voltage drop.
The company that supply's us has also larger bottles of air for longer stays someplace.
Have seen lighter bottles where you can pump up but wife can not use.

It is workable.

Have them talk with their Oxygen Provider for their options --with the caveat that they aren't moving, just taking a few trips. We travel with our home concentrators which fit behind our seats in the Sonoma for overnight trips, have bottles for day trips, like Gabriels.

In Houston, our provider Pacific Pulmonary brought his and her concentrators to the hotel.

During th '90's we had a forum framily member from VA that lived on O2 24x7 and traveled almost full time in his class A. 

First check with the insurance company. My insurance company worked with  Lincare. They have offices all across the country. We called ahead for availability, and exchanged tanks. They also deliver to camp sites. And is the best company I have ever worked with.

If my insurance would of covered it, I would of like to have this concentrator.

Try to get a portable bottle regulator that has both continuous flow, and oxygen saving. The average use, is 2 liters per minute. Based on that, the really small tanks are good for 1.5 hrs. Next is 3.5 hrs. and the big ones are 6 hrs. On continuous flow.

Canula's come in different sizes also. The oximizer pendent has a large nose piece, but will save oxygen. And is used with a continuous flow regulator. And they have a new one out that has a really tiny nose piece, which is comfortable.

I also recommend a oximeter. Probably not covered my insurance. Runs around $100. It's a finger meter, that measures your oxygen level and heart rate. 

My oxygen concentrator was portable. And was on wheels. But very large. And had a humidifier. I stowed it under the dinette table. Just fit. It worked on shore, and generator power.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to Dad. I think he said he has 6 bottles that last 4-5 hours each and something else that operates on 110. I don't know if they'll actually travel this winter (Mom will get the final say on that !) but Dad would like to know if it's possible.

Wendy

Wendy:

I have certainly gotten frustrated with them but Apria Healthcare also offers nationwide offices that bill through your home account.

Barb, thanks for that info on finger meter she needs it when doing some walking.
We are going to look at a scooter next week help her get around better.

Back
Top Bottom