Another newbie hitch question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcs777

I have an '05 Dodge 3500 Short bed with the Cummins 5.9 in it.  I have a B&W underbed goosenect hitch.  We are getting a 39' Ameri-Camp toy hauler and it has been recommended that we use the Cody coupler.  I am not real comfortable with this set-up so I am looking for some advice from the voices of reason and experience.  You thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Richard

<We are getting a 39' Ameri-Camp toy hauler and it has been recommended that we use the Cody coupler. >

Before the purchase you might want to check the weight situation on that truck, 39 foot seems a little big. Just cause the book says you can haul 15,000 lbs and the empty trailer is 14, 00 that wont won't work. Do not belive the salesman, he would tell you a 1/2 ton could pull it. If you need help with working the weights out we can help.

Nelson

Thanks Nelson.  I am not worried about the truck.  Dodge publishes 16,400 for this truck because that puts it at the limit for non-cdl, but my horse trainer has the identical truck and we pull a stock trailer loaded to nearly 20,000lbs (hay, not horses) often without any problem at all.  What I am worried about is the Cody coupler.  Is this thing really safe?  B&W makes a fifth-wheel converter that seems like it may be stronger option. 

Thanks again,

Richard

Dodge publishes 16,400 for this truck because that puts it at the limit for non-cdl, but my horse trainer has the identical truck and we pull a stock trailer loaded to nearly 20,000lbs (hay, not horses) often without any problem at all.

When ever you exceed the weight limits of a vehicle you are putting yourself and others at risk as well as exposing yourself to some serious liabilities issues should you be involved in an accident.  It is important to stay within the manufacturers published weight limits.  Your friend may be be able to pull that stock trailer weighing over 20,000 lbs but not legally and in doing so he is placing himself and anybody around him at risk.  FWIW I am sure the fact that Dodge publishes 16400 lbs for this truck has NOTHING to do with a limit for non-cdl.  Stay within the manufacturers weight limits.

I have the B&W system and really like it. The 5th wheel plate is adjustable for height and postion over the axle. Once adjusted the whole set up takes 10 minutes to install or remove. The only downside is it breaks into two parts; each weighing about 100 lbs whch can be a little cumbersome.
The locking jaws are very thick so if you use a slick disc instead of grease you have to plane it down, or the jaws won't lock.
There are times I wish I would have put an adapter on so I could just use the gooseneck ball but talking with dealers they are about 50/50 on whether it would affect the warranty or not. Additional I like the ability to adjust the hitch to fit the trailer and truck and I'm not sure adapters give a person that much latitude.

Thanks for the info MT'.  After looking at the adapter and how it attached, I did not feel real comfortable with it.  I opted for the B&W system too.  It is much more substantial and precise.  I did not realize how adjustable it was.  Thanks again for the info.

Back
Top Bottom