Removing and Changing TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clark Griswold

I've got the old standard 19" CRT TV mounted in the middle of counsel about the drivers / passenger area.  The huge thing hanging between the seat and a real head banger.  Well, time to replace since it's an analog TV with only the coax connection.  Can't even get local channels and won't connect to a DVR that has componet connections. 

I need some advice / help -

Does anyone know how the factory TVs come out?  There are four 'hidden' bolts /screws that I can see in the framing around the TV.  Do I remove these and then the framing trim around the TV and go from there?  Anyone ever replaced one?  ???

Most manufacturers use different methods but our National had four flush mounted screws holding the trim on. Removing those allowed access to the mounting bolts for the TV.

Sounds like mine.  I've got 4 'covered' screws in the trim and I'm thinking that after those come out....it all will work itself out.  I'll know more tomorrow! The TV project starts tomorrow after work!  ::)

I've done a couple tv replacements but not on a Dolphin like yours. Basically, once you remove the trim you will have to see what is there. In the 2002 Dolphin LX we had, National used velcro to secure the tv inside the cabinet, so that would be easy. You may, however, find some additional wood or metal retainers that are screwed or bolted in.

You will just have to dig in and see what's there. It's best to have another person on hand to help with the awkward moment when you slide the tv out and fumble with the wiring and what not. Some times an extra pair of hands, just to stabilize things for a minute, is a big help. My wife was my helper.

I'm underway with it now.  Got the old unit out and trying to find the new trim and mounting angles to get the new unit back in.  You're right.....handling a full CRT type TV is a handful....or more!  I'll keep ya posted.  :-\

We have chatted already, but I'm the guy who recently acquired the '95 Dolphin.  I had a similar old TV set that I took out.  What I found behind that old TV set was a lot of wires, extension cords and other stuff that I did not need.  However, there is the expected TV coax cable and a nice two-plug household type outlet back there and it is mounted on a very stable and secure 18" 2X4.

When I found my new flatscreen TV I had to figure out how to secure it to the opening.  This may not be what the next guy would do, but here was my procedure:

1.  First I bought some insulation and tried to place it and stuff it inside the dash in a way that it would eliminate a lot of the hot/cold? air that flows through that gaping TV hole.  I think this has helped a lot.
2.  I screwed two eye-bolt type screws into that 2X4 inside the dash
3.  I found some stout bungee-type cords and very carefully secured them to the eye-bolts and then up to the metal support bracket on the back of the TV.  I snugged them up real tight.  I was sceptical at first, but by golly, I just made a 340-mile trip in the Dolphin and the TV was anchored like a rock and the cable TV at the campground was a treat.
4.  I also placed the DVD player below the TV (TV actually sits atop the DVD player) so that the dash hole is completely filled with these two appliances.

My only difficulty is that the TV now sits at a tilted back position that makes viewing difficult for my 5'2" spouse.

I plan to fabricate a wooden trim package that will fit behind the TV and hold it out at the top and taper down to the bottom.  I will finish it similar to the cabinet trim on the overhead console.  When done the TV will be just slightly tilted back and then it will be possible to see the screen effectively from any seat in the forward coach.

After that I hope to replace the doghouse console between the front seats with a wooden coffee table type arrangement or some thing other than the monster that is there now.

If you have any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear from you.

I hope your new TV is in and you are on to bigger things.

Joe Don & Shera
San Antonio, TX 

Great hearing from you.  Actually, I'm almost finished with the installation of the new digital CRT type TV.  I had to do something b/c the old one wasn't digital.  So, I replaced it with a flat screen, digital, tube type TV.  I had to raise up the new one slightly since it wasn't quite as tall as the old one.  But, all looks pretty good now and it's almost done except for staining the new trim and sealing it.  I'll try to post some photos later.  Right now I'm in a rush trying to get everything back together for this weekend!  ;D  One thing I can say is I HATE the simulated wood.  :p  You can't touch it without removing the simulated wood.  I guess we all have that problem unless where in a higher end pusher or something more than I've got.  But, I'm not complaining considering the $$$.

My next step after finishing this project is to figure out the cabling and seeing if I can get the antenna to work....and the coax connection that I was told the previous owner used at camp sites.

I know what you mean about the cabinetry in these models.  We had some water damage to the console above the driver from a hurricane the RV went through.  My spouse finally resorted to covering the entire lower piece of that overhead console with contact paper with a very similar woodgrain pattern.  It actually looks pretty good and one has to know it is there to see it.

And you are correct about one other thing.  I often envy those people with the modern rigs and wish I could own one myself.  Let's hope this never happens, but if gas goes to $8 a gallon or if the economy goes crazier than it is now and we have to park these things, it will not hurt as much.  That is a safety net that I will not lose sight of.

But man, those new rigs are about as comfortable as a condo on wheels and give one the luxury of being at home on the road.  Very nice.

Good luck with further mods.

Joe Don & Shera Casey

I'm going to change my avatar and use a photo of my RV.  While camping this weekend I'm going to try to take a few photos of the exterior and while I'm at it I'll take some of the finished TV install.  Personally, I think its turned out pretty good.  Love to any other Dolphins!  By the way, my email address is [email protected] in case someone needs it.

I just replaced my old tv with a hi-def model.  Tried a 26" but really couldnt find a place to mount it so returned it and got a 19" wide screen.  The TV was originally mounted overhead in the front of the MH inside of the upper console. I left the opening, open and installed a swing out style arm to mount it on.  There was going to be a gap showing so I mounted the TV high so that the gap is at the bottom to give easy access to the DVD player.  The arm is pretty tight so it remains "shut" when not wanted but when parked I can swing it out, tilt it up or down and have easy access to the rear connections and the storage area now created behind it.  Will be taking it out on the road in a few weeks to give it a try but so far it looks like it is going to work great.  Really is flexible in letting you get the viewing angl that you want whether it be the right side, middle or left side.  I need to take  a picture of it.

Also, if I ever want to move the TV outside temporarily to watch it,  It only takes unscrewing one screw the I can use the stored stand that goes on it to use the TV in another place.

milo30 said:
I just replaced my old tv with a hi-def model.  Tried a 26" but really couldnt find a place to mount it so returned it and got a 19" wide screen.  The TV was originally mounted overhead in the front of the MH inside of the upper console. I left the opening, open and installed a swing out style arm to mount it on.  There was going to be a gap showing so I mounted the TV high so that the gap is at the bottom to give easy access to the DVD player.  The arm is pretty tight so it remains "shut" when not wanted but when parked I can swing it out, tilt it up or down and have easy access to the rear connections and the storage area now created behind it.  Will be taking it out on the road in a few weeks to give it a try but so far it looks like it is going to work great.  Really is flexible in letting you get the viewing angl that you want whether it be the right side, middle or left side.  I need to take  a picture of it.

Also, if I ever want to move the TV outside temporarily to watch it,  It only takes unscrewing one screw the I can use the stored stand that goes on it to use the TV in another place.

By any chance do you have any photos to post?  Love to see the install.
Thanks

IF you do a search on LCD TVs, you'll find about 10-15 threads where folks have done this with many, many photos and reports.  I know some are in the Winnebago Topic.

Back
Top Bottom