Winnebago 'Campsite' questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultra103

I recently bought a used Winnie that says Campsite near the back. I'm having trouble finding any manuals (or anything for that matter) online.

Also, the guy I bought it from had it hooked up to a 50' 12/3 extension cord to demonstrate the A/C and it melted the plug and 15A adapter. Can I just replace the plug end without having to buy a whole new service cord? It still works fine, but I'm uncomfortable with how hot things got.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

I have never heard of a Winnebago Campsite model but did find one in an online search --- a 1987 Class C on a Chevy van chassis.

Running the ac on a 15a connection is asking for trouble, which it sounds like what he/you got!!! It will be sucking enough power to overheat the 15a extension cord, as it did -- the longer the cord, the more potential for trouble. And if the connection in the plug is worn/loose, that makes the problem even worse. You should be able to simply replace the end of your RV power cord (which I presume is 30a???) as long it there is no obvious damage to the cord itself.

ultra103 said:
Can I just replace the plug end without having to buy a whole new service cord?

Yes. I just ordered one for my power cord. It is a Leviton 830-T (NEMA TT-30P). If you do a Google search on "Leviton 830-T" you will find a source on eBay for $9.99 plus $4.00 shipping. A friend of mine just purchased the exact same plug at an RV store for about $25.00 with tax.

Contact Winnebago and have your serial number along with the vin on hand

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/

Russ, WB3FQI/6

Awesome! Thanks for the replies.

The cord is 30A, I'll hit E-Bay tomorrow for that plug. Also, thanks for the advice to call Winnebago. I'll do that in the morning.

I was a bit concerned that the previous owner used a household cord to hook the camper up. It told me he didn't know what is needed to treat the RV the way it should be, and that it has likely been mistreated.

Also, the fact that this model is so rare bothers me, either it was a short production run or most of them have fallen apart and been scrapped by now.

Thanks again!

Hi Carl,

I just bought a 1988 ( bulit 1987 ) Winnebago campsite , too.
20 feet . There are not many around here in Germany ....

Maybe we can share some information or pics .

Actually I would like to know how many cables
run to your rv-battery and if there's a green one
beside the red and black as well.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael - welcome to rvforum!  There is a good resources sticky in the Winnie board and lots of good things in the rvforum library, so have a good look around.

Michael,

I would be happy to answer any questions I can, I am working on figuring out how to make the bathroom waterproof and kick the wall out 8 - 10 inches to install a shower at the moment....

Not sure on the green wire by the house battery, haven't got that far yet (mine's not holding a charge at all, though - lights shut off after a few seconds if not on shore power)

Does your unit have the Dometic DuoTherm Penguin Low Profile A/C? Not sure if that is 'stock' or aftermarket.

Hopefully we can help each other!

Hi Carl,

my unit does not have a A/C at all in the cabin ( just for driving ).
So  I guess it's aftermarket.

My bathroom is obviously in 100 % stock condition, so if you
want I can send you some pics showing the "original" shower solution.

Just send me your email adress to [email protected] and
we can trade and share some information and pictures of details
from our units...

best regards from Germany

Michael 

ultra103 said:
Awesome! Thanks for the replies.

The cord is 30A, I'll hit E-Bay tomorrow for that plug. Also, thanks for the advice to call Winnebago. I'll do that in the morning.

I was a bit concerned that the previous owner used a household cord to hook the camper up. It told me he didn't know what is needed to treat the RV the way it should be, and that it has likely been mistreated.

Also, the fact that this model is so rare bothers me, either it was a short production run or most of them have fallen apart and been scrapped by now.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that he used a 12/3 extension cord.  That is good for 20 amps.  It was probably the 30/15 amp adapter that was the weak link in the systems.  The best type adapter is the type with 15 amp male plug connected to a 30 amp female receptacle by a short length of 10/3 cable.

Harbor Freight 15 amp/30 amp adapter

Back
Top Bottom