Renting a uhaul to move a travel trailer cross country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggyman

I am looking to buy a big travel trailer, either a Forest River Wildwood 392FLFB or something alike.  Unfortunately, the best price I could get was at this one dealer in Ohio for 24k, everyone else wanted 30k or more.  I was quoted 3800 bucks to have it delivered from Ohio to California.  My cousin and I can fly out, rent a 14ft uhaul, and drive it back for about 2500.  These 14ft box uhaul are rated for hauling upward to 10k lbs, which is well within the parameter.  If anyone think this is not a good idea, please let me know.

ziggyman:
Good Morning.....
These 14ft box uhaul are rated for hauling upward to 10k lbs, which is well within the parameter.  If anyone think this is not a good idea, please let me know.
First and foremost, you must remember that I'm not an expert, but the people with the knowledge will be along shortly.
After a few "google" searches I was able to determine that the TT you are considering has a GVW of 10,680 Lbs. and, if Uhaul truck is rated for 10,000 Lbs., then you are in unsafe territory from the get go....
I realize that 10,000 Lbs. mentioned was a guess on your part, and I'm pointing out that you can not be guessing.
You must get particulars of Uhaul truck to be used as TV.

To me, this type Trailer is not a "Travel" Trailer, but something to be moved infrequent. With that said, I would still buy a WDU (Equal-i-zer or Reese) to use when I moved this Trailer. And especially towing that distance with a 14Ft Box Uhaul vehicle. (you can not see what is happing back there) Look into another type truck for towing, maybe a "flat bed".
I realize that your excited about purchase and just "jumped the gun" with Post.... hopefully others will get on forum and relate their experiences and advice.
GOOD LUCK, and have fun with the purchase process, be safe.

I would be concerned that the 14ft U-haul would not be equipped to pull a trailer over 10,000 lbs.  Even though U-haul says it can tow 10,000 lbs there are several considerations.  One, the hitch that is installed may only be rated for 3,000 or 5,000 lbs.  You would most definitely need to find that out.  The next consideration is if the engine, transmission and brakes can handle a unit as large as you are thinking of buying.  And, does the U Haul have a braking system to activate the braking system on the trailer?  My gut feeling is it doesn't.  I'm wondering if a standard 14' U-haul is not equipped with the equipment necessary to pull a large rig.  Coming from Ohio to California, you may/will encounter mountains and long grades depending on which way you come.  I'm from California and have made the trip back to the midwest several times. 

Does U-haul rent regular pick up truck such as a Ford 350 or Chevy 3500 or bigger ?

Also, if I'm interpreting the model number correctly your trailer could be as long as 39'.  That's a very big trailer.  My guessing is that it weights more than 10,000 lbs; but I could be wrong.  Don't take into consideration the dry weight of the trailer, you'll need the weight that is on the sticker of the trailer.

Marsha~ 

Mr. Bojangles:  This particular travel trailer, stripped down model, is around 9,800 lbs.  It will certainly put the weight over the 10k mark if it came with a lot of upgrades.  My intent is to buy one without any upgrades.  If I get something too heavy, then renting a U-haul will be completely out of the quesetion.  At that point, I will hire someone.  You may be pleased to know I do not believe in towing more than what a vehicle can handle.

I did forget to include something in my first post.  When I spoked with Uhaul yesterday asking them if the 14ft box can handle a 1500lb hitch and a 10k lb trailer, they said its within the specs of the boxtruck, but its right at the limit.  I seen many people pull some decent size trailer behind a Uhaul, but I am just not sure if I have enough confidence in their boxtrucks to do the job.  This is why I am asking everyone the question, if its within its limitations, would you consider this as a possible option.

Marsha:  The trailer overall end is 42 feet.  As mentioned above, its within Uhaul's specs.  Unforutnately, Uhaul does not rent pickup for cross-country use.  Believe me, I would much rather rent a 1T pickup instead of a boxtruck.

Ok ziggyman......
I hope all works out and "purchase & trailer move" goes good for you.....
I do come on strong with my thoughts about towing.... no offense intended.
Good luck and let us know when your quest is finished.
See ya on down the road!

Ziggyman said:
I am looking to buy a big travel trailer, either a Forest River Wildwood 392FLFB or something alike.  Unfortunately, the best price I could get was at this one dealer in Ohio for 24k, everyone else wanted 30k or more.  I was quoted 3800 bucks to have it delivered from Ohio to California.  My cousin and I can fly out, rent a 14ft uhaul, and drive it back for about 2500.  These 14ft box uhaul are rated for hauling upward to 10k lbs, which is well within the parameter.  If anyone think this is not a good idea, please let me know.

Not a good idea.

Any truck you rent for that 11,400 lb. trailer will need a Class V rated hitch receiver installed along with a trailer brake control system and a seven pole Bargman electrical connector.  Does U Haul have that?   It will also need a weight distributing ball mount with attendant spring bars and anti-sway control installed by the trailer dealer ($850 on up).

Parameters?  If you plan to head west on any route other than I-10 with a gasoline engine in that truck, it will need a tow rating of 14,400 lbs to account for the altitudes and grades you will encounter.  Even if you carry no water, waste, food, cooking gear, or propane you would need a rating of 12,000 lbs to pull those mountain passes.

That $1300 net cost to have it hauled seems like a bargain to me.  Pay your money and pass on the grief.

Ready to pay the CA use tax?

I looked at the U Haul web site and the 14 foot truck but do not see a tow rating stated. Are you sure it is rated to TOW 10,000 lbs? That takes a Class V receiver and a weight distributing hitch and well as a hefty GCWR on the truck. The trucks appear to be fairly standard F350 chassis cabs with a truck body added, so a 10k tow rating would be on the high side of what I would expect. I think the truck is outclassed by the trailer you are looking at.

I think you are fine and would not hesitate to make that trip myself, I would check on the brake controller, does it have one? If the truck does not have a controller buy one and setup a temporary install, it is not hard if you are mechanically inclined, its one wire to hitch plug, U Haul installs plugs and hitches, so it should not be a big challenge for them to connect your wire to plug. I assume you will not have the trailer filled with water and a ton of stuff so you should be below the 10k mark, if you exceed the 10k by some margin the tow vehicle does not instantly fall apart. Many trucks do not have class anything receivers, they have frame mounted balls, so adding a weight distributing hitch may not be an option. Happy trails!

I decided to lean away from this particular idea.  Even though I verified a second time with Uhaul that it's within the limitation of the 14ft boxtruck and it has everything I need to safely pull the trailer; I feel it would be pushing the vehicle way too hard and it's not worth taking that risk.  If the travel trailer was half the weight, then it be a whole different story.  I am more interested in getting the travel trailer relocated safely versus trying to save a couple bucks.  I want to thank everyone for your inputs.

The first thing I would do is forget UHaul.  From all the UHaul vehicles I see sitting along the road I'm not sure I'd rent one to drive by itself.

I would check with Penske Truck Rental (800-467-3675). You may be able to rent a medium duty truck from them.

Good thinking.  That is a big, new, expensive trailer and a long tough haul.  And as Don says U Haul does not have the best maintenance rep and their units get a fair amount of amateur bashing around.

[  I am more interested in getting the travel trailer relocated safely versus trying to save a couple bucks.

The truck you talked about renting weighs 7800 pounds, has a 158 inch wheel base a gross weight of 14,500 pounds,  and can tow 10,000 lb trailer plus a load in the box, it does not get much safer then that!  E450s are the most common class C MH on the road, its made for this kind of work.

...a gross weight of 14,500 pounds,  and can tow 10,000 lb trailer plus a load in the box,

The GCWR on a gas engine E450 is 20,000 lbs, so the max combined weight of truck, payload and trailer cannot exceed that. If it's an E350 with a gas engine, the GCWR will be 18,500.

And the 2009 Ford Fleet Guide gives the max tow rating for an E450 cutaway chassis as 5000 lbs. That's consistent with a 20,000 lb gcwr on a 14,500 lb gvwr vehicle.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads/brochures/2009/09E-450Fleet.pdf

Gary I went to the Ford site and read 10,000 tow rating for E450 and 14,500 GVW. and 10,000 makes sense for a 450, my Caddy is rated for 7,000. my f150 is rated at 9300, bottom line is a E450 with a looong wheel base can handle a 10000 box trailer safely, IMHO. :)

On the main website of any truck manufacturer, you will often find higher numbers followed by small print.  It's only until you dig deep down into their towing guide and sometimes the marketing brochure that you find the real numbers for a given configuration.

Lots of trucks can tow 10,000 lbs, at least with a fifth wheel. Heck, some F150's and some Toyotas are rated that high. But they can't do it with a full payload in the bed. As for 450's, they can be equipped for towing over 16,000 lbs in the proper configuration.

The only meaningful question is whether the 14 ft truck that U-Haul has available is equipped to tow that much. That, I do not think, can be answered with the information available to us. I'm not even sure it is an E450, based on what U Haul shows on their site.

I would think the biggest truck rental company in the world would know what the trucks they buy are rated for, not to mention the scrutiny their insurance company would have over the whole situation.

Ziggyman I think its time you bought your first Kenworth, that should handle that trailer, but maybe not! :D

There are people and companies out there that will contract to tow your trailer.  I used to deal with a transit company and the manager said if I ever had to have my RV towed a long distance check out a flatbed freight truck company.  He used it to have buses brought to his city in CA. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom