Battery is charged but has no output ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caper1973

Battery Question:
running on a tent trailer, battery is fully charged but cannot get lights to work.  I've tested the breakaway switch and that works effectively which tells my that the posts are connected properly.  Any thoughts ?

Difficult to say without more detail. What year, make and model is it?  And the breakaway may have its own wire direct to the battery.

Has it ever worked since you owned  the trailer? If so, when did this problem start. Has anybody changed the battery or tinkered with the wiring?  And last but not least, have you located and checked the fuse for the 12v lights?

2006 Fleetwood Bayside
worked since new.  Battery was removed during storage, but worked after being re-connected.  All fuses are good to go ... very strange ...

Given what you say, my best guess is that the feeder wire that supplies 12v power to the lights has become disconnected or cut. In many pop-ups this wire has a plug somewhere near where the folding mechanism joins the solid body.  I would start checking  for 12v power with a meter or test light wherever I could get access to the wiring and see where there is power and where not.

I agree with Roamer.  I like my home made test lamp.. Take a standard 12 volt lamp socket with two leads, a License Plate Lamp socket from the local auto-parts store is a good choice, with matching bulb.

Put a clip on one lead, extend the other lead to a pin, (Safety pin works well here)

Now, clip the clip to first the negative battery terminal and touch the pin to the positive terminal.. Light. good, dark, bad battery.

now move the clip to the chassis (Any bare metal attached to the chassis) and again touch the positive terminal, LIght good, Dark, bad ground.

Now move out along the wire Roamer mentioned, You can touch a screw/terminal or pierce insulation with the point of the safety pin.. Light good, dark, you found your problem (it is between light and dark)

To attach the wire to the safety pin you can just push the pin through the wire, piercing the insulation twice,  or you can strip off a bit and wedge it in the sprial spring part of the pin, even solder if you like.

Have pulled my plug apart tucking in the canvas in a hurry(2005 Fleetwood "Neon").. follow the red/white wire from lites down thru canvas to sidewalls and beyond. If you have a schematic may show loc of plugs.  GoodLuck

Checked the plug which appeared slightly disconnected, so I took it off, reconnected and still nothing.  Checked the fuses again, was blown this time.  Not sure if it blew during reconnect or not, but a new 20A fuse and I'm off to the races.....

Thanks to all for your help !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom