Priorities when shopping for 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulineCMay

My husband and I have our priorities when shopping for our 5th wheel, and of course, they don't all coincide.  I'd like some opinions on these items and just how important they are to you.  Our wish items are as follows in rank of importance:

1. Exterior length under 27'.
2. Hubby prefers the seating configuration to include along with the dinette, a sofa and two swivel chairs.
3. I prefer the shower separate as opposed to tub/toilet combination bathroom. 

In keeping with our length restriction of 27', we're finding that one or the other is going to have to compromise and we can't get both the bigger living area and the separate shower/vanity configuration.  I'd like your feelings on what you think is important to you, after having spent some time in yours, and what you'd choose to do differently and why.

Thanks for helping us make our decision.  I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Pauline

We went through a similar decision when we bought our prior 29 foot motorhome. We went for maximum utility, so we had the dinette, queen sofa bed and two swivel chairs with table. The downside was that the main bed and bathroom both had to squeeze alongside each other in the rear of the coach and both were too small. In retrospect, we didn't need the dinette and could have ate all our meals sitting in the swivel chairs and using the foldaway table located between them. The dinette space could have been used for the bathroom and the main bed could have been a walk-around queen bed.

Don't know if that heps at all.

Tough choice, Pauline, and in less than 27 feet you won't have many options, if any at all.  I don't think you will  find any 27 footer with room for a sofa and two chairs, regardless of bath configuration.  Hitchiker has some floor plans that are close to your desires, e.g. the 26.5 foot Hitchiker II LS.  See http://www.nuwa.com/archives/2005/hh2/ls_floorplans/index.shtml for an example.  Not everything you want, but not far off either.

May I ask why a sofa PLUS two swivel chairs is important?  Experienced RVers often opt to eliminate the sofa alltogether, which frees up a lot of space.  Of course, a confirmed "couch potato" might have trouble with that  :D  but good swivel recliners can be just as comfortable as stretching out on the sofa.

And why the 27 foot restriction?  You can probably get what you want at about 29-30 feet.  Is there any possibility of compromise there?

You might look into trailers that allow you a high degree of customization when you order. One such is New Horizons, www.horizonsrv.com/. You might be able to configure something close to your desires.

Pauline,

We have the Sunnybrook 2750 (27' 11') that we're quite happy with.  Of course I like the new 3050 (32' 1"), not so much for the interior room but for the exterior storage.  It wasn't available when we bought and it's equivalent in Sunnybrooks Titian line was a significant step up in weight and cost.

http://www.sunnybrookrv.com/products/solanta/specs/solanta_specs_fw.html

Think about what you will want to take along and look at your storage capability with that in mind. 

The two chairs and couch make a nice conversational area.  The sofa isn't long enough for a nap.  We bought one of the euro recliners instead of the second swivel chair and it's wonderful for a nap.

An important criteria for us was two sides of the bed so that nobody got crawled over when nature called in the middle of the night.

Like Gary said, lots of choices if you go up a couple of feet.  Going down the road the additional length won't matter.  Why 27'?  The only time we've found that an issue is in National Park campgrounds - We've been in one and visited several and seen bigger rigs than ours but the campgrounds are cramped.

Weight is an issue - make sure you're within the capabilities of your tow vehicle.  The "Tow Rating" is far from the whole story.  Remember that the tow vehicle has to carry you, hubby and the fifth wheel pin.  Ask if you want more dietails.

Gary:

You say:

"Tough choice, Pauline, and in less than 27 feet you won't have many options, if any at all.  I don't think you will  find any 27 footer with room for a sofa and two chairs, regardless of bath configuration.  Hitchiker has some floor plans that are close to your desires, e.g. the 26.5 foot Hitchiker II LS.  See http://www.nuwa.com/archives/2005/hh2/ls_floorplans/index.shtml for an example.  Not everything you want, but not far off either."

We actually have it narrowed down to a couple of 27-footers, the Forest River Wildcat that has the bathroom I want, and the Fleetwood Sprinter that has the living room configuration my husband wants.

"May I ask why a sofa PLUS two swivel chairs is important?  Experienced RVers often opt to eliminate the sofa alltogether, which frees up a lot of space.  Of course, a confirmed "couch potato" might have trouble with that  :D  but good swivel recliners can be just as comfortable as stretching out on the sofa."

We're thinking -- don't laugh -- that since we'll be traveling with the two Shelties and with the hubby and I, all of us wanting our own lounging space, this'll fit our needs.  Hey, the dogs might even let one of us sit on the sofa every now and again, you know.

"And why the 27 foot restriction?  You can probably get what you want at about 29-30 feet.  Is there any possibility of compromise there?"

That's a biggie for us in that we want to be able to access most of the primitive sites that we've been able to with our tent trailer.  We're concerned that we won't be able to fit a 28-plus-footer into a lot of the state park and Forest Service camp sites.

"You might look into trailers that allow you a high degree of customization when you order. One such is New Horizons, www.horizonsrv.com/. You might be able to configure something close to your desires."

Thanks a ton for your thoughts on this.  It surely helps in our decision-making.
Pauline

Pauline,

You may also want to look at the Titanium.  It's probalby more expensive than most you've looked at, but they have a unique way of giving you more room.  This "33" footer is actually only 26'9" from pin to bumper, yet gives you the room of a 33 footer.  Just a thought.

http://www.glendalerv.com/2006/Titanium/26e31ds.html

That's a biggie for us in that we want to be able to access most of the primitive sites that we've been able to with our tent trailer.  We're concerned that we won't be able to fit a 28-plus-footer into a lot of the state park and Forest Service camp sites.

That is a reasonable concern.  USFS and state parks tend to think in terms of pickup campers and van conversions.  At least when they lay out their road turning radii and site lengths.

Thanks, Carl, for confirming this.  One of the parks here in Nevada we plan on frequenting has a 27-foot restriction, and we don't want to be restricted.  Camping in Nevada doesn't leave many options, we feel, other than some of the more primitive places. 
Thanks for your input.
Pauline

You might want to check out KZ. Here's a link, http://www.kz-rv.com/durango/durango_275rk.php , for their durango. It only has one chair tho. Our D has this one, and we've had 3 KZ products. Been pretty happy with them.

Barb
73 days to go

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom