Which Caulking for a Travel Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrnXnham

After having this travel trailer for a couple of years now, I'd like to re-caulk some around windows and outside cabinets. Does anyone have any caulking recommendations? Is there a specific caulking used on these things? I can see that the windows have a foam seal around them between the window frame and the aluminum siding of the camper but they also caulked on top of that. That two year old caulk is pealing away in places.

One good choice is Geocel MHRV 2300  Tripolymer Sealant, available in clear or white.  Hardware stores and home centers often carry it, as does Camping World.

Most any exterior grade, non-silicone caulk will do fine.  Silicone caulks seal ok the first time, but you have to remove it to recaulk in the future, so I don't recommend it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder how you know if the people who built the trailer used silicone caulk or not? Don't know if I should caulk over the factory stuff or if they used silicone. Which is more likely? Any way that you can see a difference in the two types of caulk?

Silicone will have a greasy or oily feel when in good condition, but as it dries out it doesn't look much different than anything else.

You said yours was pealing, so I would remove as much as possible. If it peels off easily, it needs to come off. If it is hard to remove, it is firm enough to stay. Caulk over it and keep any eye on it for several weeks to see if the new layer stays stuck to the old stuff. If it does, you are golden. If not, back to the scraping.

Question along the same line.  What product do you use to reseal around a skylight?  We have a skylight in the shower and noticed it was leaking a little in a recent heavy rain.  I got some caulk and got up on the roof only to find it wasn't caulked but had a white soft substance around the seal.  This stuff had cracked so I did what I could with my tube of caulk, now I need to know just what is it I should use?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• tn_P1010036.JPG
    tn_P1010036.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom