What to do with the salad spinner and other non essentials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaxngroomer

Now I am into the difficult part of this new adventure....getting rid of stuff. The salad spinner was an easy decision obviously, but there are other things that are tough...that tug at my heart strings.  Things like the woodpecker toothpick holder that was my grandpas and makes me smile every time I push that bill down and pick up a toothpick. The antique quilts and crocks that I have collected over the past 25 years....not easy as a single mom, but I sure enjoyed the hunt and even the paying a little bit at a time over long periods for some of them.  My grandmothers rocking chair that I spent hours rocking my colicking son in. These things aren't essential but they are such a big part of my life. This isn't the first time I have downsized, so most of the fluff and clutter is already gone, and what is left are treasured memories mostly.

I have rented a storage unit for a year up front. I will put the things in it that I don't feel I can part with right now. After that I can re evaluate where I am with everything. When I am a very old woman and living in assisted living, I think some of these things may be comforting and essential in an emotional way.

Thanks for letting me unload a bit. I figured some of you can relate to the sadness mingled with excitement that I am feeling.

We've been fulltiming for 12+ years and the few things we didn't want to part with but couldn't take in the motorhome we loaned to friends or family with the condition that they get returned to us when we have a place to use them.  I think that's a better method than storage, although perhaps riskier.

My parents started out with a storage locker. After a year, they went in and got rid of most of the stuff in it - sold some, gave some to the kids, threw out some. The stuff they wanted to keep was stored in my sister's garage. A year later, they got rid of more - actually got it down so everything they wanted to keep was either in the 5th wheel or in Mom's cedar chest which she kept at my sister's. We find it easier to just keep everything and go off for 4-6 months at a time.

Wendy

jaxngroomer said:
I have rented a storage unit for a year up front. I will put the things in it that I don't feel I can part with right now. After that I can re evaluate where I am with everything. When I am a very old woman and living in assisted living, I think some of these things may be comforting and essential in an emotional way.

When we went full time I had a huge storage locker full of stuff I wanted someday if I got another home.  Well that day came and I hauled that stuff to my new home and found much of what I had stored was no longer a treasure and  lots went to  Goodwill.  One thing I did which was helpful was to make a list of the things I recalled I had in storage.  Those things were the most favorite as I could recall them.  I found that once I saw the items in a box I said, " Oh  I remember that"  and immediately wanted it again despite the fact that I didn't even remember I had it.  It is hard to get rid of stuff, but even more fun to accumulate more when the need arises.  Guess what I am saying is I feel your pain.

Betty

I purchased a Cuisine Art combination food processor and blender in May, 2005 (when I first started planning my Alaska trip), thinking it would be the handiest gadget in the motor home galley.  Today, August, 19, 2009 I removed it from the cabinet (for the very first and last  time) and gave it as a gift to my sister.  I'll bet that I'm not the only one carting around treasures that never get used. 

George Carlin was wrong... you can  have too much stuff.

The kitchen stuff is the easy part. I am good at makin do and gettin by, and am good at improvising there.  It is the antiques and family heirlooms that are tough. My daughter is a very modern person and they aren't to her taste, and my son is only 24....still renting and not at all settled. In fact he may go back to school next year. He doesn't want any of it now. But I am wading through it and have found that there is quite a lot that I can part with.

"Stuff" has become a burden.  But you are right Betty....someday if I don't have it and I have the desire and place for it....I will sure have fun antique shopping which has been a favorite pass time of mine in the past!

The title of your thread caught my attention because I do use my salad spinner at home, but don't carry one in the motorhome.  Well, that's somewhat untrue.  I have a wire one that folds flat and you spin it around with your arm somewhat like a windmill (outside!).  Not as nice as the big one at home, but it's a good substitute when needed.  On the other hand, you might find a crockpot, coffeemaker, blender, food chopper, or other such items to be indispensable.  Some people carry their breadmakers.  Others carry a turkey fryer.  If it's something you use - and can fit it in - then take it.  After a while you'll know what you REALLY use and need.  We're not fulltimers, but I know many people on this forum have a storage place and they trade off "things" every now and then.  I think Wendy's parents did it right.  They kept what they thought they might want later and have dispensed with things as they found they didn't need or want them.  Things like your grandmother's rocker are irreplaceable and even though your daughter may have different tastes now, she might want it years from now.  Family heirlooms should be kept within reason because grandchildren may want them as part of their heritage.  If you take something you don't use and have decided it's not important enough to keep, there are always places like Goodwill that will be happy to accept them.  I like my "stuff" so I agree with Betty in that I feel your pain.

By the way, many fulltimers have this rule:  If they purchase something in their travels, they also discard something in the RV.  That helps them decide if it's something they REALLY want or if it's just a passing fancy.  It also helps keep possessions within reason.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom