Weapons on board ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

Hello all,

My stepson is a Lt in the sheriff's department.  He has been in this law enforement business, including the SWAT team for years and has told us numerous times that we need to be "prepared" for the possibility that we will need to defend ourselves at some time in the future, especially as we get older.  Now we have a MH/RV and plan to travel to new places via hiways and might find ourselves in territory where the environment is not as safe or familiar as it is around home.

So we are taking some classes in self defense, not base on karate or whatever, but based on having a weapon closeby if needed.  We already understand much of the responsibility it entails and the dangers it introduces as well as the potential for self defense that it provides.  We are not young anymore and we are not going to be able to "outrun" anyone with a MH.  And, when we travel alone, let's face it, we are a noticable "target".  Plus someone already put a bullet through our windshield on the third day after we bought this rig as we were driving through a small town west of here.

I know I'm not the only person who has thought about this topic and there are others who have thought about it much more than we have so I'm hoping to hear about how other people address this issue....

I'm not a hunter so that is not a factor.  I know that it is strictly illegal to have weapons or even ammo in Mexico and Canada so that's a fact if you are going across the border.

I know other people have weapons on board, just in case... but others do not for equally valid reasons I guess, but if you do carry weapons, how do you do it?  Is it complicated to cross state lines?  Do you keep it handy at all times?  How do you keep it from being used against you?  Or, protect it from theft?  Do you get a license of some sort?

If the admin folks think this is too sensitive, please delete the posting.

thanks, Gary.

Gary, try searching for prior discussions on this subject and you'll find some interesting discussions. We don't carry weapons on board and, except for a brief period when we used the RV in hunting season, haven't seen the need to be armed. OTOH we have friends who wouldn't travel without their arsenal.

Gary,

Yes, this seems to be a personal sensitive subject; and as Tom has pointed out, you can search for prior discussions we've had on here.  There are lots of different opinions.

FWIW, we carry a handgun in the coach when we travel.  HOWEVER, it's in a locked gun safe with a "finger tip locking sequence" so we can open it fast; but an intruder would have a hard time opening it quickly.  It's hidden in the coach.  I hope we never have to use it.

The best thing we can do to keep ourselves safe is to be very aware of where we are and what is around us.  We very seldom park overnight in parking lots or off on the side of a road.  Lots of RVers park in Walmarts and we have done it on occasion.  However, I would not park in a Walmart alone, while others might be comfortable with it, we don't. 

Just recently we disembarked from the ferry from Newfoundland, Canada.  It was 2 AM and we didn't want to pull into a campground that late, so we opted to spend the night at grocery store parking lot.  This is a little community that is very used to motorhomes coming off of the ferry at all hours of the night, so we felt very safe staying there.  So for us knowing where we are and what is around us is our way of trying to stay safe.  We also have a dog and I think he is a big deterrent with his deep bark.

The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy this great adventure.

Marsha~

The bed shelf that our mattress rest on is a little larger than our mattress. Just bigger enough that my Ruger in its holster fits there just fine. I dearly hope that I never have to use it but I sure sleep better knowing its there. It really is a personal thing and I respect other peoples rights to make their own decision. However I do believe that anyone owning a firearm should have some type of training. In Georgia anyone applying for a hunting license for the first time is required to take a safety course.

We do not carry a weapon (yet, anyway).

Here is some info on carrying a firearm in an RV across state lines:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

http://www.woodalls.com/shop/display.cfm?productID=25Q4&subcatname=RV%20%26%20Camping%20Books

For those who do decide to carry a weapon:

If you live in one of the civilized parts of the country (e.g. not on a coast - FL, etc. excepted), you'll find that reciprocity is pretty much the standard for licensed carry.  In Texas, the license is good for four years and we found the training was extremely valuable (even though I grew up with weapons around) I strongly recommend taking the training, even if you'll never leave home with the weapon.

Ernie

Learn to use it properly & continue to practice.

When we travel there is a loaded weapon right next to me.  There is another in the drawer next to the bed.  At home weapons are also placed where they are most likely to be needed.  I am licensed for concealed carry and frequently do so. 

There are states (IL & WI come to mind) where it is illeagle to have a loaded weapon in a motor vehicle.  There are also states that do not recognise other states concealed carry permits.  The book titled "2009 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the 50 States" (see RV Roamers link above) provides specifics for each state, including those with concealed carry permit reciprocity agreements. 

In most states (probably all) it is perfectly legal to have loaded weapons in your home.  Once parked, your RV becomes your home.  But, some State Parks do prohibit them. 

Certainly, the biggest question about having weapons for protection is weather or not you are willing to take the life of another person.  Finding yourself in a situation to use a weapon is not the time to ponder this decision.  That is likely to get you killed.  In highschool I worked for a man at a filling station.  The first night on the job he was showing me around.  When he came to the cash drawer he opened the drawer all the way exposing a loaded pistol.  He said ?if you pull it out use it, if you are not going to use it leave it where it is.?  I regard that as very good advise?????. A gun should never be pulled as a threat.  When you pull a gun use it.  And if you are going to shoot someone shoot to kill.

Pretty heavy stuff.  Stuff that needs to be carefully considered by anyone choosing to be armed. 

Every night on the news there is always multiple instances of violent crime.  It seems to have few boundaries and it seems to be getting worse.   

Something I was told by a long-time handgun owner some years ago ....

"If, in the dark of night and the intensity of the moment, you miss, you might kill your neighbor in his bed."  :eek:

Sounds like that could be equally true in an RV.

If you do keep weapons on board, please be sure they are locked up from children.  We just had an instance in Nebraska where two children got ahold of a gun in and RV and a 13 year old ending up killing a 10 year old with the weapon.

not sure I would worry about what states have what laws on concealed or not? Many if not all truck drivers carry, and with good reason. If it makes you feel more secure, then carry, if not then don't. end of story

I do agree that anyone carring needs training with that gun, and as stated above needs to know if they are willing to use it to  take someones life, to protect your own. But hey if you hear me late at night outside, please don't shoot, I'm probably just getting a cold one outta my Ice chest(I leave it outside)  ;D

geodrake said:
Every night on the news there is always multiple instances of violent crime.  It seems to have few boundaries and it seems to be getting worse.   

I am by no means trying to make this political, but the actual violent crime rate in this country had decreased steadily and significantly since the early '90s.  This is by no means to say it isn't out there, nor am I saying you shouldn't protect yourself.  However, I think the prevailing sense that "it's getting worse out there" is a response to increased media coverage, not reality.  Here are the most recent numbers:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/cvict.htm

I do not carry a firearm for many of the reasons Geodrake mentioned...but most noteably because I have young children and therefore will not have a firearm out in the open.  If you are carrying a weapon for self defense, a weapon locked in a safe is not likely to be very useful given how quickly attacks can/do occur. 

It's a shame that this has to be a 'sensitive' subject considering the fact that this was meant to have been settled several geneartions back with an amendment to the Constitution.  However, I'll keep to the point.  In reading over several of the post I'll agree that holding a permit to carry a weapon is generally accepted via reciprocity in most honorable states.  

And although I would hate to accidentally kill a neighbor, I likewise do not want to have a reason why I did not protect my family - that would not be an accident.  Sorry if that's off the topic.

Keep in mind that loaded weapons are not allowed in national parks. There have been attempts to allow carrying concealed in NPS sites if it's legal in the state where the park is located but I don't believe there has been a final resolution. That means that under the 1980s ruling you're allowed to bring guns into parks and refuges only if they are unloaded, stored or dismantled.

Wendy

Geodrake, you're a good guy, and knowledgeable in the subjects where I see your posts. So, I hate to take issue with you, and not strongly, even then. You said,
He said ?if you pull it out use it, if you are not going to use it leave it where it is.?  I regard that as very good advise?????. A gun should never be pulled as a threat.  When you pull a gun use it.  And if you are going to shoot someone shoot to kill.
Agreed strongly, right up to the last sentence. Shooting to kill is not generally advised. And, there is a superior mind-set, both for legal and for strategic purposes. Shoot to resolve the threat, instead. It gives you more shooting opportunity, longer list of effective hits, and saves time which is ordinarily in short supply. And, it is a lawful intention in almost every state.

In every state, killing another person is Homicide. It is the degree of the charge that we care about. The "degree" we are looking for is some variation of "Justifyable" or "Excuseable." Those are not crimes and there is no criminal penalty. The "State of Mind" of the shooter can be a determining factor and "Shooting to kill" is not acceptable. "Shooting to Stop the Threat" is in most states, acceptable. (Often called "Shooting to Stop.") (I like "Shooting to Resolve the Issue.")

Ray D  8)

Frankly, I like what one contributor said about the constitution and how it addresses this issue. I also wonder why such a topic should be offensive or sensitive.  Kinda' like the phrase, "In God We Trust." And I often wonder how many students and others would have not died at VA Tech if another student had been able to end it with his/her own weapon.  Just wondering......

Heck, in Texas we are considering putting a sign up at the state line that reads:

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GUN, WE WILL ISSUE YOU ONE."

Just joking.  I know many people are adamantly opposed to gun ownership.  And once I returned from Vietnam I gave up hunting, all my guns and all aspects of gun usage, although I am not against that right and respect those who wish to own one.

This thread started with one forum member who'se relative is in law enforcement and sees daily the underside of society that we rarely ever see.  I think he is correct that in a year's time many of us will have had an experience where we wished we had a weapon for protection.

Let's hope and pray it does not become a recognizable need for those of us who enjoy this RV freedom so much.

In the whole country I can only think of one place I would not want to be found with a gun, that is NYC, last I new 1 year in the slammer , no excuses accepted, mandatory time. At least this is what I think I have heard.

napalm204 said:
I also wonder why such a topic should be offensive or sensitive. 

Because like religion, people have their personal beliefs and tend to hold them very dear.  The issue is still hotly debated in the courts in various spots across the country and various rulings move the needle in one direction or the other, but it is by no means "settled".  It also closely parallels political affiliations, which means this discussion invariably bleeds over into political debate (forbidden on this forum). 

napalm204 said:
Let's hope and pray it does not become a recognizable need for those of us who enjoy this RV freedom so much.

I think we can all agree on that. :)

RayD, we are in concert.  The object is to stop the perp.  However a wounded drug crazed individual is not likely to stop if only wounded.  Certainly, in court after the shooting, the answer needs to be "I intended to stop him". 

I have been in situations (not RVing) that had me very scared for my life.... it had to do with roving gangs (kids) years ago. (I was where I should not have been). And, I have watched TV replicas of what people (groups) can do....

I keep an UNLOADED weapon with me when I Travel in case I encounter the same kind of situation (very unlikely, but never want that to happen)
Today I Boondock 9 nights out of ten (Wal-Marts, fringe of Truck stops, bank parking lots, Glacier Point parking lot at Yosemite Nat'l park, most anywhere I can park when tired. These locations can be isolated at times.... if a "group" senses no law and they want something inside, they will act. Calling 911 will not do it.... but if I honker down and wait inside it will scare them when gun goes off is how I'm thinking..... and I strongly believe I'll shoot to "STOP" if they continue.

I could not take pistol (not allowed) into Canada on last trip, so, I carried my rifle (unloaded) in Trailer, filled a form out, paid $25.00 to Canada and was able to cross border (June this year).
When asked WHY I wanted to bring rifle, I knew not to say "protection". I just said I always travel with weapon in trailer.

Now The young female Officer explained I could take the gun into the woods to protect me from animals if I had to enter woods (I could not hunt, just keep for my safety against animals). Then she made an unkind and judgemental comment  (my interpretation) that I would not be encountering animals in Calgary (my destination).
I let remark go... not wanting to argue. But the animals I'm afraid of are in every large city.

Ray I gotta disagree on that one, I would shoot to kill and here is my reason.

OK first off your gonna get sued If the survive they will sue you, if they die, someone in their family will sue you.
Now I feel like I could take it better if it aint the sorry ...you know what that was tryin to rob me, there for, shoot them, and anyone with them. ;D

Back
Top Bottom