wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csb

I started the 2002 Forest river sunseeker and started the generator(which started no problem).  But I had no power in the camper outlets or for the A/C.  Finally found that the shore plug needs to be plugged back into the camper to get power.  By this time i had already shut the generator down.  So I didn't have anything on and tried to start the generator but it wouldn't even try to crank.  I then drove it back to its parking spot(a couple of miles up the road) and tried the generator with the truck running and started right up.  Then i tested the outlets which were fine and then turned on the A/C which was working fine for about a minute then the generator shutdown(sounding like it was out of fuel or something.  I don't have a wiring diagram to show the path of electric to all the different circuits.  So can anyone give me info or a place to start.

The circuits are the same on shore or generator - you simply plug the shore cord into the generator and everything else works the same.  After the shutdown, could you restart the generator with the a/c off? Does it indeed have enough fuel? And are you sure the genset has enough power output to run the a/c? That's a big draw - , probably 1500-1600 watts. What is the make and model of the generator?

You need to figure out if the genset is ok except  when the a/c attempts to run. 

The Onan generator came with the motorhome.  I'm just fixing the motorhome for someone and they said it has always had enough juice to run the A/C.  What really gets me is sometimes the generator will start at anytime.  And other times it will only start when the van is running.  Yesterday I drove it a couple of miles and started the generator and turned the air on and then shut the van off and I believe it would have ran for a long time.  I let it run for about an hour or so and then shut it off.  I do take the load off of the generator before I start it up.  Then about an half an hour later I started the van and thegenerator and then A/C and shut van down about five minutes into it and the generator shutdown a couple of minutes later.  It uses the same fuel tank as the van, but does it have two fuel pumps?

How much fuel is in the tank?  Generally, the generator requires so much fuel (probably 1/4 tank) in the tank to run.  This is a safety feature to keep you from running out of fuel. 

csb said:
I started the 2002 Forest river sunseeker and started the generator(which started no problem).  But I had no power in the camper outlets or for the A/C.  Finally found that the shore plug needs to be plugged back into the camper to get power.  By this time i had already shut the generator down.  So I didn't have anything on and tried to start the generator but it wouldn't even try to crank.  I then drove it back to its parking spot(a couple of miles up the road) and tried the generator with the truck running and started right up.  Then i tested the outlets which were fine and then turned on the A/C which was working fine for about a minute then the generator shutdown(sounding like it was out of fuel or something.  I don't have a wiring diagram to show the path of electric to all the different circuits.  So can anyone give me info or a place to start.

I doubt this is your problem, but we had a friend that the faulty generator low oil switch would shut the generator down after running long enough to warm up.

As long as you have shore power, converter, and MV motor is running, altenator, you have power for Gen to run, are the batteries new or old and are they fully charged.

The generator has its own fuel pump and a separate line into the tank, usually with its own inline filter. Could have a dirty fuel filter, though.

The generator needs a solid 12v source to continue running. If the battery is weak, it could cause the engine to die as well.

The indication lights inside the camper are showing fully charged but i haven't put a volt meter on the wires to see what it is. 

Back
Top Bottom