IMPORTING RV FROM US TO UK, NEED RECENT INFO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RV4ME

Hi there,
I have spent quite a lot of time reading through various posts, extremely helpful, but they all seem rather old (well a lot anyway), so I just wanted to see if anyone would share their most recent purchasing/importing reports with the rest of us inexperienced ones. If you haven't the time to write you could PM me your number for a chat instead.

There's loads of talk about VAT and import duty, is this just on a new vehicle or on a used one too?
I have been on the HM Revenue & Customs and can't seem to find the details, does anyone have the link for this?

Something I did find interesting was mentioned that you can barter the dealers down by a third, anyone else done that?

I have chosen a Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5291 which I saw at the Western Motorhome Show last week, does anyone own one of these or imported it themselves?

I look forward to your replies, thank you.

Hi RV4ME, and welcome to The RV Forum.

Something I did find interesting was mentioned that you can barter the dealers down by a third, anyone else done that?

Our rule of thumb used to be something like 20-28% off the MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). In today's market, you might be able to squeeze more out of a dealer, but there's a point where the dealer isn't making any money. Expect to walk away from the RV of your dreams, then you'll discover if the dealer has more room to negotiate. In reality, most Brits come here and fall in love with the first or second RV they see, and can't get their money out of their pocket fast enough. PLEASE take the time to shop without your cheque book or credit card, and be prepared to walk away, even if you're crying in your beer.

Did you check out some of the excellent articles in our forum library (click the Library button above), and look especially at the Visitors to the USA section.

Hi RV4ME

The only thing thats changed regarding RVs in the UK is that 102" wide vehicles are now OK and the awnings etc are not taken into account when measuring.

All of the links on here to HMRC files are still valid.

Paul

Tom said:
Hi RV4ME, and welcome to The RV Forum.

Our rule of thumb used to be something like 20-28% off the MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price).

In Lazydays last month they started at 30-35%, we know why now.

Also some of their sale items are 50% of web searches (based on asking price), although that might have changed now.

Is there any benefits or problems regarding buying an RV in Canada, registering it doin the North american Tour and shipping it back ?

[quote author=obelix67]Is there any benefits or problems regarding buying an RV in Canada, registering it doin the North american Tour and shipping it back ?[/quote]

I might be wrong, but I suspect the same US-manufactured RV would be more expensive north of the border.

Sorry, I have no idea, but maybe someone else will jump in.

Hi  RV4ME

I have just imported a BT Cruiser from the US in April 2009, I will answer any questions i can for you.
Ring me on 01303 237271 , i tried to pm you but it did not work ,ring any time as i am off work for a couple of days.

Regards FRED.

Hi Fred, I did get 2 PM's from you but can't seem to find a link to send you one back.

Thank you for your message, it is actually on behalf of my dad, he is not computer literate so I get to do those bits!

He and my mum just set off yesterday to tour round wales for 2 weeks, so on his return I will give him your number and he will ring you for a chat.

Bye for now

[quote author=RV4ME]..I did get 2 PM's from you but can't seem to find a link to send you one back.[/quote]

PMFJI... There should be a Reply button alongside the PM. Alternatively, use the PM button below the other person's name in forum messages.

Back
Top Bottom