Best way to Mammoth from South Orange County, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

Hey all - just curious what you all think is the better way to get to Mammoth Lakes, CA from South Orange County. I always take the 15 to 395 and on up. The 15 sucks and the 395 from the 15 to Inyokern is even worse.

Any thoughts on taking the 5 to the 14 to the 395?  I'll be towing a mighty load, too.

Any help would be great. We're leaving in the morning.

Thanks!!

Taking the 5 to the 14 might be a mess depending on what time of day you go but from the 14 on up it is a piece of cake, the only town you will have to drive through is Mojave and that's only 4 blocks long.

Jerry R

jerryarlyne said:
Taking the 5 to the 14 might be a mess depending on what time of day you go but from the 14 on up it is a piece of cake, the only town you will have to drive through is Mojave and that's only 4 blocks long.

Jerry R

We're leaving at 4:00 am, so I'm guessing we should be ok, eh?

Thanks for the feedback. The 14 it is.

Ride Everything said:
We're leaving at 4:00 am, so I'm guessing we should be ok, eh?

Thanks for the feedback. The 14 it is.

At that time on a Sat. should be no problem. They are using radar on the 14 from Acton to the LA County line (Ave. A) so be carefull.

Jerry

Having driven I15 from 138 to Temecula today, I can certainly agree that it is bad. Especially from the 210 to 60.

jerryarlyne said:

Jerry R

Hi Jerry-

Well, we got back in town safely on Saturday night, and I all I can say is THANKS!  We left a week ago last Saturday at 4:30 am and going through LA was fine, and the 14 was GREAT!  Two lane road (for the most part) and nice, smooth asphalt all the way to the 395. WAY better than the 55-91-15-395, I think. A lot more relaxed and just plain easy.

Took the 14 on the way home, but instead of taking the 5 all the way south, we took the 210 - 57 - 5 south. No traffic (but FIRES!) but damn is the 210 and 57 a rough ride!  My camper was taking a beating!!  Not sure if I'll go that way again. I just wanted to avoid LA at 6:00 pm on a Saturday.  Next time, might just suck it up and take the 395 to the 15.

Anywho, thanks again for the tip and we'll see ya 'round.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I live in Palmdale (when I'm home) so I travel the 14 all the time. Even now with the fire the 14 stayed open, a few days ago they did have some off ramps closed but traffic still is pretty good anyway.  When we go to Yuma I do take 138 to 15 to the 10 east only because it is about 30 miles shorter then taking the 14 to the 5 to the 210. so I know what you mean about that route too.

Jerry R

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom