ac fan won't kick on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ava

I think my ac just took a dump, the fan won't kick on, it hums but thats about it.
The compressor wants to kick on but won't. I tried putting it just on fan to see
if the fan would run but nope, just a little hum. I suppose that means my a/c
went out? Is there anything I can do to fix it myself? maybe crawl up on the
roof, take the shroud off and look at it and ask myself what the hell I'm looking
at? lol, will I be able to see the fan and maybe try giving it a twirl? Hey, I'm
desperate, its hot in arizona and if I can't get it to work I'm gonna have to go
hang out somewhere cool.  :mad:

I wouldn't panic yet. Low voltage from shore power could cause that, so check to see it is at least 106v. Or it could be the start capacitors for the fan and compressor (though odd they would both fail at once).A modestly handy DIY person can change a start capacitor and they aren't expensive. Just have to know your make & model of a/c and might have to order it.

Could even be some critter or tree branch got into the housing (from the outside) and is simply stopping the fan from turning. Go up on the roof and check it out. Take the outer cover off and see if the fan turns easily. If not, see if you can figure out why.

thanks for your help Gary, I will do that soon as it cools off, although its 92 inside, its 109 outside and of course much hotter than that on the roof. I'll try to remember
my camera and take some pics after the shroud is off so somebody can point out
the capacitor to me. We did have a monsoon come through last night but from
the ground it doesn't look like anything is protruding through the shroud. I'll check
back in later when the deed is done.

I had same problem. Turns out middle of fan that slides on motor spindle was cracked making the fan blades rotate off center and then fan wedged against bracket causing it to stop and just hum when u hear it from inside camper. Getting new fan assembly tomorrow. Easy Fix

Bill in NY
1999 Nomad 29 ft

I had a similar problem when we tried to fire up the AC the first time this year. I went to the local RV shop expecting to be told the AC or at least the fan motor had taken a dump...and would be $11teen million dollars to replace.
Turned out the shaft had frozen...a couple of minutes with some WD40 and a pair of vice grips and it was working just fine.

The RV tech DID recommend a "hard start" kit consisting of a couple of capacitors...installed cost will be about $100. (they ordered parts, will be installed next week)

Apparently it's a fairly common problem, at least here in the PNW where we get lots of moisture...and only few AC days each year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom