rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Right Click Delay....  (Read 995 times)

taoshum

• ---
Right Click Delay....
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »
I've ask hundred of PC folks about my computer's quirk which I call Right Click Delay...   when you right click on a file in explore for instance, you get a context sensitive menu (rename, delete, copy, open etc).  If you have other options installed, they show up too, like zip, or scan, or whatever.

On one of my PCs, when I do a right click on any file except *.exe files, I get a delay... maybe 3-5 seconds before the context menu appears.  I noticed, a long time ago, that this PC is doing something with our home network during the delay since I can disable the network card and the delay goes away.  It is the only "desktop" on the network and the other PCs, all laptops, do not have this issue.

If anyone has a suggestion about how to fix this, I'd love to hear about it.  It's not a fatal flaw but it is a super irritant that I'd love to get fixed.  I had a long set of email exchanges with microsoft about this and got bumped up a level in CS and her final recommendation was to re-install the OS.  I decided that it did not bother me enough to go thru that!

There's probably a setting in the system somewhere that prompts this PC to query the network for something that doesn't exist and after a "delay" it gives up and displays the menu, but... alas I cannot find it.

thoughts? ???  I'm buying the beer if we can fix this.

thanks, Gary
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
Re: Right Click Delay....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 06:57:43 AM »
Have you installed, or even installed then uninstalled, any programs that added items to the right click context menu?  Sometimes those can slow down the menu display.  Especially if the program wasn't completely uninstalled and Windows is looking for a non-existent dll.  I would suggest getting CCleaner and running its registry cleanup function.  It's quite good at finding old, invalid, registry settings where these things reside.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon