Trombetta solenoid replacement documentation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice writeup, John.

So far, with over 30k miles, I haven't had this problem. I've read all the threads about this problem and although the Journey/Meridians are not immune the failure rate seems much higher in the Vectra/Horizons. I'm wondering if the location contributes to this disparity. My solenoid ('04 Journey) is in the DC breaker box behind the front "hood". Being far away from the main warp drive engine, it's relatively cooler, less vibration, and the long cables from the alternator to the front might just drop a few tenths of a volt.....or maybe this is just all wishful thinking... ;D

Yeah - my original thought was a heat-related failure, then I thought the contacts themselves were a failure point.  Now I'm back thinking it is a heat issue.  I think I need to install a wireless temp probe and monitor the temperature inside the metal compartment  where the relays are located.

I have forced-air ventilation of the electrical bay, so perhaps the next mod is to drill a couple of ventilation holes in the cover.

Nice work John, as usual!

I am a little unclear on how you connected the orange and blue wires, is that a wire nut, or was that just to hold them out of the way before a permanent connection?  Where did you hook them up and how did you know what wire was what.  ???

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I'm half blind w/o my bifocals so I only got 500 words...  ;)

Thanks!

Paul - yeah - it was a wire nut  ::) most of my electrical stuff is back at my shop, and this is a work in progress.  The 9112 Blue Sea can be manually turned on, manually turned off and kept off, or you can let the sense circuitry (the red wire(s) attached to the large terminal stud) operate the relay.  The blue wire will drive an LED to indicate when the relay is operated.  At this moment, I don't have the orange or blue wire connected to anything.

I'm going to try to figure out how Winnie applies voltage to the dash Battery Boost switch with the engine running and disconnect that feature.  I would like to use the dash switch to operate the 9112 on demand, but I don't want it operated permanently while the engine is running - sort of defeats the purpose of having a voltage-smart solenoid/relay.

tomsm said:
Nice writeup, John.

So far, with over 30k miles, I haven't had this problem. I've read all the threads about this problem and although the Journey/Meridians are not immune the failure rate seems much higher in the Vectra/Horizons. I'm wondering if the location contributes to this disparity. My solenoid ('04 Journey) is in the DC breaker box behind the front "hood". Being far away from the main warp drive engine, it's relatively cooler, less vibration, and the long cables from the alternator to the front might just drop a few tenths of a volt.....or maybe this is just all wishful thinking... ;D

Tom, I like that warp drive engine part.  Mine just has the plain ole diesel engine.  Has Scotty tried to beam you up yet?

Allen

Old Snipe said:
Where did you hook them up and how did you know what wire was what.  ???

Paul - forgot to address this - identifying the chassis and house cables was easy to identify thanks to the amazingly wonderful Winnie wiring diagrams. Long time ago I printed all of them off and keep in a drawer.  The red sense wire goes on the chassis side on the solenoid to sense charging voltage.

John Canfield said:
Paul - forgot to address this - identifying the chassis and house cables was easy to identify thanks to the amazingly wonderful Winnie wiring diagrams. Long time ago I printed all of them off and keep in a drawer.  The red sense wire goes on the chassis side on the solenoid to sense charging voltage.

Ahh Ha!  Got to love the Winnie wiring diagrams.  I have then bookmarked on my well traveled laptop.  Another reason why I'm glad to be a two time Winnebago owner.  ;D

Thanks!

Old Snipe said:
Ahh Ha!  Got to love the Winnie wiring diagrams.  I have then bookmarked on my well traveled laptop.  Another reason why I'm glad to be a two time Winnebago owner.  ;D

Thanks!
I have the entire set of drawings printed in 'B' Size and in a zipped notebook in the rig, with an identical 'D' size at home (and the entire set +any manual I can find relating to the coach and anything in it on a RAM Drive stored in the coach). They have come in handy several times when not around a PC or internet.

Nice write up and pics John.  I have a hair under 30K on the clock and so far no issues, but it's comforting to know that you have tackled the problem already! ;D

Sarge

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom