Has anyone ever been stopped for being over 65 feet long with trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mooch

I have a fleetwood excursion that is 39' (measured).  I am going to tow my race car in an enclosed trailer.  I found a used one I want to buy that is a 24' trailer but actually measures close to 27' with the tongue.  My total length would be slightly over 65'.  I could look for a 22' trailer if it is really a potential problem but was wondering if anybody has actually been stopped for this before.

thanks

I tow at 64.5' but if I have a rear engine car on the back it sticks out a couple feet more so I am techicaly not legal. I have never been stopped for it but have been measured when I was stopped with a flat and the CHP pulled up to see if they could help.

not sure who they were trying to help ;D

wayne

To answer the OP question, I think the "over the legal length issue" rates up there with any other issue.  For example, driving with an expired license, or expired tags on the car, driving without insurance, driving over the weight restrictions of your tow vehicle or driving over the legal length limit.  As long as you don't get caught, then you are probably fine. 

However, if you have an accident, you're gonna take the heat because you were in the wrong.  Just for the sake of someone to blame at the point of an accident, I would not do it.  Being over the length limit means the authorities could say because you were over the limit making your rig & trailer at fault.  I know it sounds like a stretch; but I don't want anyone to find anything where they can switch the blame to it being my fault.

Marsha~

Is driving 1 foot over the length limit worse than driving one mph over the speed limit? Or 100 lbs over your GVWR? Any of these could be cited as contributing to "unsafe operation" and might be used to muddy the waters if a civil suit ever arose due to an accident.

Putting that aside, it is extremely unlikely that a Law enforcement officer is going to pull you over and measure, unless there is some other reason to do so (as in Wayne's case).

[quote author=mooch]fixed it.
[/quote]

What was the fix - a shorter trailer?

Kate, you mean he got one of the kids to drive?  ;D

I know folks who are also pullling race car trailers who were stopped in California and not only ticketed, but they could not go on without disconnecting the trailer therefore becoming legal length.  They had to send someone back who could legaly tow that long long trailer they had. 

On our Annual Blythe California run (11 years now) we use the single trailer with a scooter rack on the back (69' total). Have not had an issue. We only do Rt 95 from Needles to Blythe in CA, but we have crossed OH, MI, IN, IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CO, UT, NV, KS, WI, MN, LA, FL, GA, MS, AL, TN & KY on interstates as well as extensive use of local roads in LA, OH & MI and have never been stopped in 11 years. Technically, I'm probably overlength, but, Marsha/CA gave a good summary of the situation and possible consequences.

Is driving 1 foot over the length limit worse than driving one mph over the speed limit?

Absolutely!  If you get stopped for speeding, you can get a ticket for speeding but you can agree to slow down and continue to drive.  If you get stopped for being over the length limit, you get a ticket but you can't continue driving in that condition.  It's kind of like being picked up for drunk driving, you don't get to keep driving in that condition.  And if you do drive, knowing that you are over the length limit, I'm certainly not going to feel too sorry for you when you get what you deserve!

And when you get picked up for being over the length limit, I also don't believe that you can honestly state that you didn't think you were over the limit.  There is no excuse for not knowing.  Get a tape measure out and measure it.  If you think you are close to exceeding the limit, you probably know you are over the limit and you should never have driven in that condition in the first place.  Just MHO.

thanks for the replies.  I think I am going to look for a shorter trailer.  I dont want even the slightest chance that I will have to unhook my race car in the trailer and leave it at the side of the road.  It's just not worth it.

I can not see being stopped for exceeding 65'. Any 45' MH that is pulling a full size vehichle is over 65'. I tow a full size Chevy p/u behind my 45' and I am longer than 65'(45' for the MH, 22' for the truck and what 2-3' for the tow bar). Actually in NY, 65' is exceeding the length law. When I drove a tractor trailer I was 80-85'L, yes I had a huge condo unit tractor.

Actually for tractor trailers there is not an overall length law on the Interstate highways and within 1500 feet of the interstate system, but subject to a maximum trailer length. Most states the maximum trailer length is 53' but TX allows 57' trailers. Different states have different multi[ple trailer laws. Some areas allow longer trailer combination with multiple trailers such as the NY and OH thruways. On this subject, just think of how many 45' Prevosts you see going down the road with the 26' double stacker trailers on them, their length has to be approaching 75'.

I just got stopped between Blythe and Indoi, CA on my way home for the holidays on I-10. The CHP officer came up to my RV with tape in hand and asked if I knew why he pulled me over with a smirk on his face. I told him no, and he stated he was sure I was over length, no other reason for the stop. Told me he is really good at this stuff,

He proceeded to measure my lenght, 67 1/2 feet. I have a 36' motor home and 28' enclosed car trailer. The trailer is GVW #10,000, a class A licence is needed if over #10,000 he stated.

He ticketed me for 68', gave me a court date and stated I should pay the fine. But he let me drive my rig down the road. Waiting to see how much the fine is, let you know the outcome.

Sorry to hear of the ticket, Tom, and sorry that your first RV Forum post had to be on this event.

California is well known for enforcing the letter of their  laws where RVs are concerned - and probably other types of vehicles as well.

Back
Top Bottom