Worthless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itchn2go

We have already agreed that the dust buster and the flash lights furnished with the Winnies are useless.

May I also add the Ice Maker. I have had trouble with them on every coach I have owned...Good Miles

We've had an icemaker for 7 years.  And during that time, it's made ice most times.  But there was always some doubt if it would make ice.  Some trips, even when the icemaker was new, went iceless.  Other times, it made a ton of ice and we had to turn it off.

I have to agree they are not the most reliable devices.  Ours now only makes ice when it's at the dealers getting the icemaker repaired.  Some kind of phenomonen....when I drive off the lot, I can hear the icemaker shut down.  ???

I'm thinking it's going to be pulled out and the water lines emptied and plugged. I'm looking at a space we have that can hold a portable ice maker.

Jim
02 Ultimate Advantage 40J/ISC 350

ua40j said:
Ours now only makes ice when it's at the dealers getting the icemaker repaired.  Some kind of phenomonen....when I drive off the lot, I can hear the icemaker shut down.

;D ;D  Our icemaker has worked great for almost 50,000 miles. (Uh-oh, have I now jinxed it??)

The cordless hand vacuum on ours is a Eureka "The Boss".  The batteries went south after about a year or two, so I ordered some sub-C NiCads from the Internet and soldered a new pack together.  The new ones have a higher capacity than the old ones.

Our coach just turned over 70,000 miles.  The only problem I've had with the ice-maker is that it needs to be defrosted occasionally when it "freezes" up.

Unless Winnebago puts something other than Dometic or Norcold refrigerator/icemakers in their coaches, then it sounds like the problem could be a "freeze-up" issue.

Marsha~

Marsha - ours is the 1201 four-door Norcold.  The ice freezes together in the bin, but that's the only issue so far.  Not sure if Winnie ever used Dometic fridges.

I replaced the batteries in my DustBuster just like John, although I got them from BatteriesPlus and they soldered them together for me.  The MSW inverter fries the charger circuit in the rechargeable flashlights--I went through 2 before I replaced the Dimensions inverter with my Pure Sine Wave Xantrex RS2000.  The new (GE?) rechargeable LED flashlight I got after that has been fine so far.

I've only got about 41,000 miles so far, but the icemaker has worked great for me.  If it does get frosted up you need to defrost the freezer, as mentioned by others, but we love it.

I'm on our third coach with an icemaker - two Dometics and the current Norcold - over a period of 9 years now. All have worked well. Have had to defrost them one or twice when the ice maker froze up, but that's about it.  One problem I have heard of results from shutting the fridge off between trips or starting a new batch just before driving.  The motion of driving can cause the water in the tray can slosh around and freeze up the mechanism.

The icemakers in these fridges are standard models, the same ones used in residential fridges. They are not unique to Dometic & Norcold.

The Dustbuster batteries are another story, but that seems to be a designed-in need for replacement, done by the appliance manufacturer (Black & Decker for most of them). You can either buy  a new one of replace the batteries after a year or two.

All of these things are worthless to me:
RV radio
Walkie Talkies
Hand held vacuum
Worst of all is that so called surround sound system.
They should have put in a real surroundsound system with a separate receiver.

I do love my ice maker!!!

We have no problem with our ice maker - Mike pours water into the 3 plastic trays, puts them on the bottom shelf in the freezer and several hours later, voila, we have ice.

Wendy

Wendy, we have that same model ice maker.  It never fails and never leaks :)

John Canfield said:
Marsha - ours is the 1201 four-door Norcold.  The ice freezes together in the bin, but that's the only issue so far.  Not sure if Winnie ever used Dometic fridges.

If the ice peanuts are freezing together, it may be that too much water is being added in the refill cycle. On my Dometic, I believe that may be adjustable, a function of the amount of time the solenoid is kept operated. Don't have my book handy at the moment though.

You might like to check out that aspect on your Norcold unit!

rsalhus said:
Ned, did he teach you how to cut the cheese too?   :p :p

Mike's from California. Ned's from Wisconsin. You don't want to start a California cheese vs. Wisconsin cheese battle  :eek:

Wendy

CA doesn't make cheese.  I don't know what it is, but it isn't cheese :)

Wendy, I wasn't trying to focus on the quality of cheese so much, just the art of learning how to cut it!  ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom