Rubber Roof wrinkles, bubbles, loose areas, ect...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

I sort of chimed in on another post about this, but I have a dilemma...

The rubber roof on my Coachmen C has appareanlty hadt the adhesive that secures the EPDM fail. At highway speeds, it flaps against the rooftop. While parked, you can pinch one of the wrinkles, and lift the EPDM away from the roof. Being an '01 model, I'm not going to hold my breath that Coachmen would be so concerned  that they will repair it as a warranty repair, and I cannot afford to re-roof right now. None the less, I have a call in to Coachmenand await their return call.

I called the manufacturer of the EPDM (Carlisle Brite-Ply is the material) and spoke with a technician about the material and possible fixes. His best offer was to have someone slice the EPDM down teh middle, peel it back, reapply adhesive, stretch it closed, and use a sealing tape like Eternabond to close the incision line.
This also means the A/C, vents, covers, antenna, ect.. would need to be removed.

Way to much for a DIY like me. So while I was fighting 2 weeks of northeastern lawn growth resuling from our last trip, I thought up a possibility I would like opinions on.
What if I made a few small holes in the affected areas, injected the adhesive lipo-suction style, and used a roller to spread the glue around under the EPDM? I would only have a few breaches in the surface to deal with and those would be easy to close and seal. I could leave the A/C, vents, and stuff mounted and have a sufficient repair to last until I can properly re-roof.

Joe

Cutting a few holes & resealing is the method I used for years until we redid the whole roof. You will find that you will need a pad or board & weight to hold the glued area done while it dries overnight.  It's like patching a bike tire.

Back
Top Bottom