Here's a cool mod if you can't stand wasted space.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1joester2

Shortly after receiving the RV from the dealer, we started planning out first trip. Naturally the issue of "what goes where" came up, and we realised we almost had the space we needed. Then I looked at the space above the Microwave. The panel that looked like it could have and should have been a door made me investigate.

I removed the microwave, and carefully removed the panel, backed it with a board for weight, mounted some strong magnets to hold it in both the open and closed positions, installed a shelf bottom, and reinserted the microwave.

We mostly use it for paper products, but it's strong enough to handle anything we decide to put in there.

Joe

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 753
  • open.jpg
    open.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 764
  • hinges.jpg
    hinges.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 728
That's exactly the spot I've wanted Mike to make into a cupboard for 4 years !! I figured the cookie sheets and paper plates would fit up there very nicely. Maybe if I show him your pics, I'll actually get my cupboard !!

I can provide larger pics via e-mail or whatever if needed. I happened to have the materials on hand, my cost was zero, and took about 7 or 8 hours total.

I like the hidden look. I've been eyeing the space to the right of the oven for a few years now, and I want to make a pull out pantry there. I just need to figure out how to get clearance for the cupboard doors under the sink.

If the water leak I think (hope?) I fixed returns, I'll be removing the microwave again. I'll take detailed pics if I end up with the micro on the couch.

Yes, the original panel is now the door with hinges on the top.
The first pic shows the door closed, the second shows the door open, and the third is an upward shot showing the placement of the hinges.

I had to shrink the pics to post them here, but I'll post the larger ones online and offer a link.

Nice idea, but are you sure that the open area above the Micro was not a necessary space for proper cooling of the microwave ? 
A lot of them require that area to be open, to not overheat..

Just a thought..

Offwigo

offwigo said:
Nice idea, but are you sure that the open area above the Micro was not a necessary space for proper cooling of the microwave ?   
A lot of them require that area to be open, to not overheat..

Just a thought..

Offwigo

I was kinda wondering the same thing ...

That was my initial reaction but we have an actual cabinet above our microwave so wouldn't that be the same difference?

not all microwaves are created equal... some need more clearence/cooling areas than others....

beautful job~!!

Back
Top Bottom