Putty Tape or something better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shldbfishin

I'm in the middle of a major overhaul of a 04 Prowler TT and trying to get the parts needed to put the thing back together. The original trim was sealed with putty tape. Is there something better?

LindaH said:
Eternabond is great for sealing roof seams, but I don't think I'd use it where it could be seen, such as trim pieces.

Eternabond also makes a two sided tape in a inch wide roll. This is very good stuff and can be molded to fit trim applications. I did it on quite a few fixtures both top and sides and it worked great. If it is a narrow trim piece I would cut a piece and stretch it. A lot of Forum members do not recommend the two sided because it is so aggressive. It can be removed but I only used on stuff that I did not intend on removing any time soon. So be sure it is right when you push it down. That being said I had attached my top air horns with the two sided eternabond and had one go out. I used a heat gun and a putty knife and the horns came off, not easy mind you which made me feel pretty good about the strength of the tape. The trick is to have a heat gun to heat the tape and pull quick and run the putty knife along the edge as it comes up, the residue can be cleaned up but the mfg. recommends leaving it down as it will aid in the replacment tape.

There  are lots of kinds of putty tape, but if you get the right stuff there is nothing better.  Mobile home parts stores usually carry some good stuff. And some RV shops do too (it is used extensively with RV window framing.

For my trip replacement, I used butyl tape from Camping World. I think it is probably the same as what you're calling "putty tape." Have to agree with Gary, it works great. I have also used a lot of Eternabond but wouldn't want to on trim replacement. I also used the same butyl tape on several window replacements.

How about window caulking? The previous owner had put silicon over the black tar-like factory substance around the window frames, obviously this hasn't held up. Is the black tar caulking you find at Home Depot for roofing a good substitution?

There are at least two types of putty tape that I am aware of. One is the usual putty tape that doesn't stretch but easily pulls apart and butyl putty tape which is stretchy. Butyl is used by many manufacturers for sealing windows. There is another butyl tape that has a sticky back but is not like putty.

The butyl putty tape and the sticky back butyl  tape were recommended for installing the window awnings I bought. The sticky back tape for the long top rail and the butyl putty tape for the brackets.

Back
Top Bottom