Fishing Report.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariekie

Since my DH and I are avid fly fishers and our summers are mainly spent chasing those illusive waters for the perfect fly fishing experience; I have decided to report on our summer 2009 Fly fishing adventures.

The beginning of May we left all excited for the White River in Arkansas and were not disappointed in the least. Staying on the banks of the White River at Denton Ferry RV Park in Cotter, was a winner for us. Due to the situation of the CG, it was possible to wade fish, from there. The fishing was excellent and we mostly caught the most beautiful Rainbows, between 14" and 20" long. In fact we enjoyed our stay so much that it was decided to go back in May, 2010 for a longer stay.

After a month of taking care of personal issues we finally got to the Bighorn River in Montana for a day's guided drift. In spite of the heavy flows, we had a very productive day and caught a lot of Browns on this excursion. This is strictly a drift river; access to wading is difficult at best and being on the Crow Reservation, does not make it easy either. Our CG was at Fort Smith and fair to midling.

Next stop - Ennis Montana for a month of intense fishing on the Madison River and surrounding rivers as well. Two floats were done with our favorite guide and we were not disappointed! This is our most beloved area to stay and fly fish of all. Whether you drift or wade fish, there are an abundance of access areas and fish to be caught.

That about puts it in a nutshell. We are heading home with a sad feeling and already looking forward to the Summer of 2010's experiences.

Mariekie

Thanks for that report Mariekie. You're making me eager to break out the fly fishing tackle and head out in the RV.

Whether you drift or wade fish, there are an abundance of access areas and fish to be caught.

Any chance you could pinpoint some of those places? I was extremely disappointed when we visited Ennis and I found virtually all the access to the Madison to be via private land.

Tom,
All the good the Fly Shops in the Montana, have River Access Maps of all the big rivers. The publisher is River Rat Maps and believe me, the $5.00 it costs is money well worth spent!

The Upper Madison between Quake Lake and Ennis has an abundance of easy, access points for wade fishing. To start with, there is Bridge #1 & #2 at Reynolds Pass, Three Dollar Bridge, Pine Butte, Eagle Nest (My personal favorite) and close to the town of Ennis is Valley Garden as well, just to name a few.

Mariekie

Thanks Mariekie! When we visited a fly shop in Ennis, (Madison River xxx) they told me the only available access was by using guides, such as the ones they provide. I won't be visiting that shop next time we're in Ennis.

mareikie,

Our kids were in Fort Smith at the campground sometime around late July to early August.  They were in a Ford dark blue pickup truck with a big overhead slide in camper.  I think our younger son was there too as he flew out to spend 2 weeks with them.  Our daughter in law and almost 5 year old granddaughter was there.  Wouldn't it be funny if you all were in the campground at the same time.  I'm surprised your rig fit; I thought it was more of a "fishing camp".

We have some friends who live in Fort Smith for the summer then come to Kernville where we live for the winter.  So, Chris, son floats the Big Horn with Roger, our friend, and has for the last couple of years.  I had hoped on this trip we could swing down through Fort Smith to do some flyfishing; but we heading another direction.

Marsha~

Tom,

Between Ennis and Ennis Lake there is a lot of public access areas in an area called Bear Trap Canyon.  The fishing is superb, especially fly fishing.  The only down side comes from the name.  You will sometimes share the stream with bears.

Don

Thanks Don. I'll make a note of that for next trip.

Tom,

Why am I not surprised? We found the Fly Shops in Ennis to have a real attitude problem. Our favorite Fly Shop is Kelly Galoup's Fly Shop at Slide Inn. It is located between Quake Lake and Reynolds Pass. Kelly the owner is very helpful and never pushes his guide services. Although our most favorite guide is working out of there.

Marsha,

We were at Ft. Smith from June 23 - 26. And you are right, it is just a fishing camp, but served its purpose well. Talk about small and tight - our coach could barely fit into the space - but, oh well, we had a great time. Caught an abundance of Browns and some Rainbows, even though the water was running high and fast!

Mariekie

Mariekie,

We have been at Kelly's fly shop and have even camped at Slide Inn.  I've caught a great Browns right outside the campground down on the bank.

Marsha~

The salmon are running the Betsie River at Frankfort MI.  They started about 10 days ago and they are plentiful.  Good size this year.  Many 20# Kings and a good number of Coho.  Full freezer.

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom