Advice on Replacing Microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

learning

We just recently bought our 2001 Cardinal 5th wheel. The microwave does not work and is not repairable so we have to replace it. I want the new microwave to fit in with the trim around it. We thought we could buy a microwave the size of the old one so we could use the existing trim. So far we can't find one the right size. Can someone make suggestions or guide me to where I can buy the microwave and trim to fit in my cabinet opening?
Here are the dimensions:
current microwave: 19.5" w x 11"h
current trim outer dimensions: 23"x16"
cabinet opening: 21"x 15"
Thanks for any advice!
Doris

We went thru the same process last year when we replaced our old microwave.  We found that staying with the original brand provided us with a unit closest in size to what we needed.  We had to make a new bracket to secure it to the inner wall & we used thick foam tape stacked up to fill the 3/4" gap on the sides of the trim.  Any sort of trim to match old with new can be used, I chose the tape because it was flexible to fill around irregular shapes at the corners and hinges.  Since we never used the convection features, we decided to not include that option in the new one.  

Proper venting is important for cooling.  We could not use the optional trim/cooling panels for a built in application.  Our fan exhausted only on the bottom, so I used some of the foam tape and wood strips to create a closed bottom chamber that vented thru the lower grill on the original trim.  It turned out very nice :)

Bob, thanks for taking the time to post your experience. Will pass this on to George.
Thanks Again!
George

Another "Trim" option is a flat sheet of metal, either painted (Have a body shop use automotive paint) gloss black or white,  This can be used if the new Micro is smaller

Cut an opening to match the micro.. ON 3 sides (Not the bottom shape the cut as a wide "V"

"Break"(Sharp bend) the "V"s so they lay along side and on top (Bottom optional) the microwave when it's inserted in the opening.  IF you need to vent you can cut vent holes/louvers and duct the hot moist air using left over metal from the cut

Cut the outer edges so the trim covers it (lay the trim over the metal and cut 1/16" smaller than the trim on all sides)   Then submit to body shop for painting/enamaling

You then attack the "V"s to the sides and top of the microwave using very short screws... Make sure the screw goes into an air space inside the microwave and NOT into something vital or shocking please.. (Drill carefuly to avoid 2nd replacement)

You just might end up with a professional looking job

Now if you can find an old body man.. One who's been in business for oh, 30 or 40 years, and knows how to do actual metal work instead of just replace fenders......... Odds are he can do it almost faster than you can print out this post (Well the painting takes a bit)

Lowe's Micro-wave...... $59
JFD's Custom Installation...... $379.99

Microwave popcorn......  priceless

Last time I changed a microwave was on our boat. The old one was mounted on a plywood base inside a cabinet. I bought the Lowes $59 microwave and used a scrap piece of 3/4" sanded plywood (est. $1 value) for the base. I cut the plywood to match the exhaust vents in the new microwave, allowing it to be "ducted" out the front of the cabinet. Total cost: $60.

learning said:
We just recently bought our 2001 Cardinal 5th wheel. The microwave does not work and is not repairable so we have to replace it. I want the new microwave to fit in with the trim around it. We thought we could buy a microwave the size of the old one so we could use the existing trim. So far we can't find one the right size. Can someone make suggestions or guide me to where I can buy the microwave and trim to fit in my cabinet opening?

Hmm.  Ya know, most times I'll tell people the best way to fix something on their rig is to buy the replacement from the dealer...but this really isn't one of those times!  I took particular joy in my microwave bay, because an RV model is 300+ and mine was given to me, and gets out of the way when I'm not using it.

I've read the options and suggestions other folks have provided.  I'm with them. Just make sure the replacement has good airflow and the door doesn't bang on anything when it opens.

Here's mine: forgive the clutter. The bottom bay is for batteries and needs a door.  The top will one day hold a fridge, and also awaits some kind of door, but you get an idea of how simple this can be: http://countermoon.org/images/stories/trailer/dcp_2096.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what we ended up doing. Since I wanted the microwave to be built in with the vent grills around it, we bought a small microwave and had a welder/metal artist friend customize our original grill surround.  It looks wonderful...as though it's original equipment.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. If we ever see the sunshine again, I'll post a photo.
Doris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom