PullRite Super Glide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill_Frisbee

Today I learned that replacement of a standard hitch with a PullRite Super Glide is a rather large task ... one that took two highly qualified and experienced mechanics approximately 7 hours. I also learned something else that no one at the dealership (service people, sales people, parts people, etc) ever told me ... when you install a PullRite SuperGlide in your truck you also have to do a significant modification to the king pin on your 5er. Once you have the PullRite installed in your truck you cannot haul a 5er that does not have the modified king pin. This little bit of good news I learned AFTER my PullRite hitch was installed ... while my RV was parked in storage 25 miles away! Fortunately, one of the guys at the dealership was able to hop in his truck and go fetch my 5er so that the king pin can be modified and I can get back on the road.

The message - IF you are considering installation of a PullRite Super Glide in your short-box Quad Cab, take your RV with you! Don't leave home without it ... or your credit card. PullRites are expensive!!!!!

Bill

You are indeed correct that when the trailer is dropped for service you must be sure to tell the service manager that the spot he chooses will be the one till you come to pick it up. Usually the shop workhorse is for stantard pins. The additional plate on the pin for PullRite is to activate the slider after 15 deg.. I havent tryed but I think that a PullRite hitch could pull a standard pin without the slider action the reverse is not true, a standard hitch can't pull a PullRite equipped pin, unless you unscrew the plate attached to the pin box.

I think you will be more than satisfied with hitch now that it is installed and you understand it. Just knowing myself I would surely forget to activate the slider on a conventional Reese, with of course bad things happening. That is why I chose the PullRite too much investment to risk id I don't have to.

Nelson

Hi, Nelson ...

The service people where I get my work done said that there is an adapter available so that a 5er equipped with the PullRite plate can be moved by a standard hitch ... specifically the service department tractor. They also indicated that it is very expensive and hard to find. As a result, they have fabricated an adapter for use in the "yard" and apparently it works just fine.

Bill

I have contacted PullRite directly and they do make an adapter so that a 5er with a PullRite hitch can be pulled by a TV with a standard hitch. Cost $US140.00 and was shipped directly to my son in West Virginia (save Canadian customs charges, etc that way!) within three days. Seems like a good insurance policy.

Love the Super Glide but do find it a bit finicky to hook up. I have figured out how to deal with the idiosyncracies, however, and have no problems. All in all, a terrific hitch.

Bill_Frisbee said:
Love the Super Glide but do find it a bit finicky to hook up. I have figured out how to deal with the idiosyncracies, however, and have no problems. All in all, a terrific hitch.

What idiosyncracies?  The only time I have a problem is if I drive into a campground on fumes.  I have a level with a slider that I use to "mark" the tilt when it comes off the truck.  Then to hitch up I put it back at the same tilt.  But the difference between fumes and full tank makes the pin too high to engage.  But now I know that.....

I met the man this summer who didn't buy the Super Glide until after he bashed his truck cab with the 5er.<g>

Hi, Joel ...

When the PullRite was first installed, there were a few minor clearance issues (between the jaws and king pin) that required some grinding on the king pin. Since then, I have discovered that (1) the king pin has to be lined up exactly with the hitch and in a straight line and (2) the plate on the hitch and the king pin "plate" must be level and barely touching so that the king pin slides easily into the jaws. If I do those two things, the jaws close and the hitch works perfectly. If I do not, the jaws will not close. Not a big issue. I just know what to do and all is well.

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom